• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Are You Irish?

yaff

Cyburbian
So, Today many folks broke out their kilts and bagpipes and drank green beer, etc.
Any St Patty's Day revelers here? :-#

May the road rise up to greet you all and may the wind always be at your back ;-)

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
yaff said:
So, Today many folks broke out their kilts and bagpipes and drank green beer, etc.
Any St Patty's Day revelers here? :-#

May the road rise up to greet you all and may the wind always be at your back ;-)
Celtic through and through...even my maiden name was a Gaelic word and married to a fine Irish man with a hollow leg for Guinness

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Grandfather (paternal) came over on the boat.
Dad grew up in a Irish Catholic neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY.

I prefer the Chieftains.
know the difference between highland vs. uilleann pipes.
I am Irish even though I don't drink any longer.

The Irish One

Yes I'm Irish. I'll flirt with a couple of girls but no drinking for the holiday. I'm not much of a drinker.

H

Cyburbian
Ive gat a wee bit o de Irish blud in me. :)

but not enough to really care about the holiday, besides a good time to go out with friends.

Mostly of English blood, but all together I am really just a mut. :-S

Cheers. :b:

My maiden name is Irish in origin and my father is mostly of Irish blood. I have the pale, pale skin to show for it, too.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Michele Zone said:
I have the pale, pale skin to show for it, too.
if out in the sun to long you go from pale to burnt.
Bet you use at least spf 35 ?

Budgie

Cyburbian
I've done extensive research on my lineage. My heritage is mostly English, Scotish and German. Here are a sample of my ancestors surnames: Sowers, Hastings, McDonald, McIlvain, Curry, Crockett, Ireland, Haynes, Casteel, Ozburn, Freeman, Holland, Cahill, etc.....

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
We have a lot of Celtic blood. My grandfather was 100% Irish, and we have quite a bit of Scottish and some English as well. One branch of our family is Black Irish so there are some dark headed and dark eyed family members although I look like the Swiss Miss.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Aye, there's Irish in me. Paternal grandmother was named Marian Agnes O'B___. She always said she was descended from an Irish king, which we all laughed at. Turns out that there was an Irish king named Brian Barou(sp?), who was a notorious womanizer, so she might have had part of the story correct.

As with MZ and JNA, I am also very fair skinned (throw in my scandinavian heritage and blue eyes) and I go straight from pale-skinned to toasted. At the Jersey shore once, I didn't cover my feet and they burned to a nice deep purple color :-c

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My family is extremely IRISH. It is not only our past, but it is our present.

One Grandfather was an Irish Fireman in Detroit, the other worked on a farm, and his dad was a Irish logger.

I have relative’s names were:

Stark
Gallager
O’Tumey
And others that I do not remember right now.

JNA said:
if out in the sun to long you go from pale to burnt.
Bet you use at least spf 35 ?
I use "lack of an outdoor life" here lately. I also use "developed a preference for not living too far south -- those sunburns from walking out to the car is just a killah". And I have long joked that I have two shades: ghostly white and lobster red. Which is a slight exageration. I do tan. But no one else on the planet would notice when I am merely white and not just a shade shy of 'could be an albino, if it weren't for the hazel eyes'. :-D

A few months back, a friend of mine made some reference to vampires. At the time, I was sleeping days and up all night. I began making jokes that it was merely a rumor that I was vampire, with no truth to it -- and never mind the pale skin, dark hair, and tendency to anemia: Those were all merely coincidence.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
No Irish here. Not even close. I have half Polish and half German ancestory.

But my wife's birthday and mine straddle St. Pat's day!!! :-} :-D

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
mendelman said:
No Irish here. Not even close. I'm of half Polish and half German ancestory.

But my wife's birthday and mine straddle St. Pat's day!!! :-} :-D
'straddle'? Is that what they're calling it these days? ;-)

I am Irish by marriage only (she's maybe a quarter Irish) and I'm half German half Polish - must be a midwest thang...

Maister said:
'straddle'? Is that what they're calling it these days? ;-)

I am Irish by marriage only (she's maybe a quarter Irish) and I'm half German half Polish - must be a midwest thang...
Actually, my mom is German. I thought that part was a "military brat" thang. :-D

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Maister said:
Especially if your native to Michigan.

but my dad is from Buffalo. :p Anyways, there are alot Poles in Michigan .

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Michele Zone said:
Actually, my mom is German. I thought that part was a "military brat" thang. :-D
No doubt one finds a disproportionate amount of German mothers among military brats...and Korean....and Japanese (among Marine dependants).

But the German/Polish ancestral mix is fairly common in the midwest just cuz of the proximity in their settlement patterns.

In a wierd twist of irony, Detroit has two neighboring communities - one predominately jewish (West Bloomfield) and the other muslim (Dearborn). One would think after battling for centuries they would make a deliberate attempt to locate on opposite sides of the country, but not so....

SGB

Cyburbian
I'm a western european mutt, with more Scottish than Irish ancestry from what I understand.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Trail Nazi said:
We have a lot of Celtic blood. My grandfather was 100% Irish, and we have quite a bit of Scottish and some English as well. One branch of our family is Black Irish so there are some dark headed and dark eyed family members although I look like the Swiss Miss.
No Irish here, but I've never understood the Black Irish thing. Do people know they have a different background, or do they just assume it because they're darker complected. What other nationality was typically brought into the mix?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Two of my lines are traced back to Ireland, with Germany and England for the rest.

otterpop

Cyburbian
My linage is typical American, in that I am the product of many nations, but no Irish.

I'm mostly English and German, with a wee bit o' irish blood and mostly irish looks - reddish brown hair, pale skin, freckles. I'll be busting out my Hair of the Dog CDs to listen to at work on Wednesday in honor of the occasion. We would have gone to the parade Saturday, but it was too damn cold.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
I'm mostly English and German, with a wee bit o' irish blood and mostly irish looks - reddish brown hair, pale skin, freckles. I'll be busting out my Hair of the Dog CDs to listen to at work on Wednesday in honor of the occasion. We would have gone to the parade Saturday, but it was too damn cold.
Besides Trail Nazi, has anyone heard of Seven Nations? They are a great celtic rock band. Check out their intro at www.sevennations.com
If they come to a club nearby, they put on a good show...Enjoy.

sisterceleste

Cyburbian
Zoning Goddess said:
I'm short. I think my heritage is Pygmy and I don't drink beer. Definitely not Irish.
She is not kidding when she says she is short...Makes one think of the Randy Newman song (which she hates)...Short people....

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
I'm about as Irish as the people who voted for Vladimir Putin yesterday... unless you count "by marriage." One set of my husband's great-grandparents came from County Mayo.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
No Irish here, but I've never understood the Black Irish thing. Do people know they have a different background, or do they just assume it because they're darker complected. What other nationality was typically brought into the mix?
From my understanding, the term Black Irish comes from the legend/story that a fleet of the Spanish Armada were shipwrecked off the shore of Ireland and assimulated into the population. Therefore, you will get some black headed, not necessarily darker complexions, people. I have also heard the legend that the Black Irish are descendents of the silkies, the seals that became human and only stayed human if you kept their skins. But if they found their skin, they would immediately return to the sea, leaving all of their loved ones on the shore.

The Irish One

This is a plausible explanation for Black Irish btw it is an American term, my connections in the motherland have no idea what it means.

"i will now hazard a theory on the origin of the term "Black Irish":
that its origin lies in borrowing the color of the reason for the flood of Irish immigrants into the USA in the 19th-century - flight from the Black Blight - the Potato Famine of Black '47, a memory seared into the consciousness of the expatriate Irish who survived in America."

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
1/8 Irish (my maternal great grandfather came from County Kilkenny) 3/8 mongrel, and 1/2 Flemish Belgian. Go Kim Clijsters!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
No Irish in my blood.....

Russian, Lithuanian, Polish, German.

My dad's family.....somewhere around the 15th Century.....founded NW Poland city of Bialystok.

But.....I have spent many a March 17th pretending to be Irish and certainly drinking enough to be green.

O'Bear

JNL

Cyburbian
Part Irish here. My middle name is from my maternal great-grandmother who was Irish and I think there are other connections.

and I like Guiness!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
From the sounds of it no one here could possibly get into Slytherin house. Draco would blanch at the sight of all these 'mudbloods'

Elisabeth

Cyburbian
1/4 Irish, 1/4 Scottish and 1/2 German...I usually just say half celtic. My Dad's the Irish/Scotch mix and I'm the only one who inherited the mick skin--so I get the freckles in the summer, I burn then tan (kinda), have dark brown hair and blue eyes... Unfortunately, I have an Italian last name which evokes some peculiar looks from people at times. I too love guinness and have even enjoyed a pint at the Skybar in Dublin!

yaff

Cyburbian
Today is a magical day in which you ALL get to be Irish! Go out and spread the cheer/luck of the Irish around. Bless Ya All!!

Friend of Flavel

Cyburbian
Mom is 1/2 Irish, 1/2 Italian. Dad is probably 1/4 to 1/8, depending on who's telling the family history. Dad lived in Spring Lake, NJ, which is the Irish Riveria, so he probably is, but he likes to pretend he's all German.