• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

    Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Are you sure you want to leave??

jmf

Cyburbian
Messages
594
Points
17
Hey Donk,

Are you really sure you want to leave all this?? Pictures from the New York Times show scenes from the World Pond Hockey Championships in Plaster Rock, New Brunswick. The caption for the last photo reads "Snow fell for the first two days of the tournament, slowing the puck. A bonfire on the lake kept players warm." I am sure that wasn't the only thing keeping them warm!! article





 

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
13,907
Points
57
mmmmmm, drunkedness and frostbite! :-D


(It's pretty cool though)
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
What no mention of friend bologna sandwiches?

They forgot to include the other icon of plaster rock in the story:



And don't forget about this news story.

Just cause they cash in on nostalgia by playing hockey on a pond and seem real nice does not reduce the white trash quotient in the area.
 

jmf

Cyburbian
Messages
594
Points
17
donk said:
Just cause they cash in on nostalgia by playing hockey on a pond and seem real nice does not reduce the white trash quotient in the area.
Touche!

And I should know!!

But you have to admit, the shot of all the rinks is pretty cool!
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
jmf said:
Touche!

And I should know!!

But you have to admit, the shot of all the rinks is pretty cool!
I'll give you that.

Plaster Rock is a weigh point for me in driving, after risking life and limb crossing the "highway"(100 miles of nothing) I'm always glad to see the Fiddle Heads, and the Irving.
 

biscuit

Cyburbian
Messages
3,904
Points
25
I'm sorry but catching a buzz and playing on the ice seems like a fun time to me -White trash and all.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the significance of the "World's Largest Fiddleheads" ?
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
biscuit said:
I'm sorry but catching a buzz and playing on the ice seems like a fun time to me -White trash and all.

Forgive me for my ignorance, but what is the significance of the "World's Largest Fiddleheads" ?

That is the welcome to Plaster Rock sign.

Fiddleheads are immature ferns that people harvest in the spring around here to eat. You steam them, smother them in butter and lemon. No matter what you do, they still taste like lawn clippings to me. One more reason I'll never be a maritimer.(dulse, alpine, fried bologna-inch thick minimum, fiddleheads)
 

JNL

Cyburbian
Messages
2,449
Points
25
Wow - fiddleheads? Weird. We have them here on native ferns but we call them by the Maori name - koru. A stylised version is often used as a symbol on NZ stuff. I have a beautiful greenstone necklace that has a koru design.
 

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Messages
7,917
Points
36
JNL said:
Wow - fiddleheads? Weird. We have them here on native ferns but we call them by the Maori name - koru. A stylised version is often used as a symbol on NZ stuff. I have a beautiful greenstone necklace that has a koru design.
Do you eat them down there?
 

JNL

Cyburbian
Messages
2,449
Points
25
Tranplanner said:
Do you eat them down there?
Well, I think you can. I know there's a restaurant nearby that specialises in Maori kai (food) and they serve them, but that's not common, and they certainly don't come in cans!!
 

donk

Cyburbian
Messages
6,970
Points
30
They are not available commercially canned. You have to know someone who "puts them up".
 
Top