• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Arnold Schwarzennager is an idiot...

Arnold Schwarzennager is an idiot for taking on California's problems.

• Yes

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • No

Votes: 13 37.1%

• Total voters

Jeff

Cyburbian
No....

He is not an idiot because he is going to do nothing about CAs problems.

IMO, its a great career move, his movies are going to gross more than ever.

And what is up with Maria Schreiber? Couldn't Arnold get a hotter piece of ass than that? She looks like Skeletor.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Well, I said yes, but here is another possibility. Ahnold is really a Democrat working in league with the Kennedy's to assure that Bush is defeated in 2004. California's problems will not be getting better. Voters will take it out on whomever is in office. Instead of blaming Gray Davis and the Democrats, they will blame Ahnold and Doubya. California's electoral votes go to the Dems, and Bush is on the street.

BKM

Cyburbian
Cardinals "Conspiracy theory" is interesting-except that Pete Wilson was deeply involved in the Terminator's campaign.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
He's not an idiot, he's just crazy from his tumor.
AHHHHHHHGGG, ITS NOT A TUMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR

H

Cyburbian
I honestly believe that he cares about California’s problems and is doing this to better California, not himself.

But what the h#!! do I know.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Another multi-millionaire politician. Well, well, well, well, well, well, well, is this fabo!!

He has been able to make so much money, he should be able to easily wipe the state finances in shape in about............ never!!!:p

I will repeat here what someone inspired from the other Ahnold thread...(directed at California votes)....hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

Also, does anyone else hate the way he pronounces 'California'
Sheez,^o) could he sound a little more foreign!!!!

(Sorry, foreigners)

Otis

Cyburbian
I'm guessing that we Oregon planners will have to gear up for another influx of California refugees.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
He can do whatever he wants... I doubt that he'll fix CA's problems, but let's hope he doesn't make it worse...

I bet it's just a move so people don't forget about him... you know... famous people are attention whores...

I'm holding my breath until he turns that gas-guzzling Hummer of his into the hydrogren-powered vehicle as once promised if he won this election.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I think that, right now, it's just a fun hobby for Arnold.

P.S. And what's the deal with those CA precincts? Did Arnold really have to vote in someone's garage?

Jeff

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
Yes we vote in people's garages, although I prefer to call them car ports.
Do kind garage lender outters hand out bong hits when you go to vote?

It'd be a lot cooler if they did.

The Irish One

Not that Republicans don't hit the bong, This is Republican country.

I wonder if a load would be better before or after the vote?
I'm thinking both.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
No....
And what is up with Maria Schreiber? Couldn't Arnold get a hotter piece of ass than that? She looks like Skeletor.
Yeah, I agree. People are always saying she is beautiful. She is scary looking and gets scarier every year.

I just think he's an idiot.

Mike D. said:
YES!!!! She scares the S*** out of me!

El Feo

Cyburbian
Downtown said:
I just think he's an idiot.
You may be right, I dunno. But my gut is that you can't be an idiot and get called a Hitler Loving Serial Groper (TM) by the L.A. Times, and still be elected governor anyway.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
El Feo said:
You may be right, I dunno. But my gut is that you can't be an idiot and get called a Hitler Loving Serial Groper (TM) by the L.A. Times, and still be elected governor anyway.
Please remember the election was in California (sorry Californians).

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
otterpop said:
Yeah, I agree. People are always saying she is beautiful. She is scary looking and gets scarier every year.
I'd take the first lap dance! Hell, if Arnie is getting his on the side, he might not mind if she does! Just got to make sure there are TWO exits available first.....! :)

tsc

Cyburbian
Is it just me... or is Maria Shriver a bit anorexic??? and nobody says anything about it.... she is so skinny it is sickening.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
tsc said:
Is it just me... or is Maria Shriver a bit anorexic??? and nobody says anything about it.... she is so skinny it is sickening.
No, thats just the tapeworm crawling around in her stomach.

You know, I am not sure I should even get into one of these conversations, but (if I recall correctly): Aaaahnold was a millionaire businessman before he was 30; he used his own money to make weight-lifting a respectable and status-y 'sport' (it wasn't when he began); unlike so many famous actors, his business ventures are not based upon his fame as an actor (a la "Planet Hollywood," the restaurant chain that was going bankrupt the last time I heard, and Britney is planning to open a restaurant as well -- do you think any of these actors would own a restaurant if they didn't think their name alone would draw a crowd?); he has a degree in business; and the fact that he is a Republican married to 'Democratic Royalty' suggests he has a few diplomatic skills and might actually be capable of working with 'the other side' to get stuff done.

If all of our politicians were half as competent as Aaahnold, I think this world would be a better place. I have been saying he would be our next governor since the day he announced. My husband was telling me all about the ups and downs, twists and turns of his campaign and how 'dicey' it was at one time. Sorry: I thought it was a 'done deal' the day he announced.

Aaahnold may 'regret it in the morning' but I really do not think California will. Thank god we finally have a governor with a few functioning brain cells.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
Aaahnold may 'regret it in the morning' but I really do not think California will. Thank god we finally have a governor with a few functioning brain cells.
Well, I'm not Californian, but what happens there matters to me. I think you might just be right, MZ. I am pretty sure Cali would have regretted leaving the former shill in office until the state defaulted. Aahhnold sure as hell can't be worse, and just maybe this recall has scared enough shit out of the legislature to make them understand how pissed the citizens are.

kms

Cyburbian
He deserves credit for running. I haven't heard that Alec Baldwin, Tim Robbins or Susan Sarandon are giving up their careers to run for office.

moose

Rich Townsend said:
I'm guessing that we Oregon planners will have to gear up for another influx of California refugees.
Don't hate me, but I have already invited my Bay Area-living parents to come move here...

moose

Michele Zone said:
he used his own money to make weight-lifting a respectable and status-y 'sport' (it wasn't when he began)
Not to be nit-picky, but technically, "weight-lifting" has been a respected sport since the dawn of time, but "body-building" was not (and it still shouldn't be, if you ask me).

I don't know if he will make a good Gov or not. Being a former Californian, and having voted for Davis twice, I was against the recall from the get go, seeing as how Davis was elected fair and square (unlike certain presidents, but I won't take that any further), and he hasn't committed any crime. I am loathe to think that millions upon millions of dollars were spent on the recall, when there are so much better causes for those kinds of dollars.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Rumpy Tuna said:
He's not an idiot, he's just crazy from his tumor.
AHHHHHHHGGG, ITS NOT A TUMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRR
I just laughed my ass off. My son does that line all the time. You stuck the landing!

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
All this talk about California....I thought Arnold was running in Missouri....all the news coverage here, I could have sworn I would be voting in that election.........

H

Cyburbian
Jessie-J said:
All this talk about California....I thought Arnold was running in Missouri....all the news coverage here, I could have sworn I would be voting in that election.........
Yep, it was also front page news in today’s Miami Herald (as I am sure it was many places around the county). Though it was smaller than the Florida Fish article.

moose said:
Not to be nit-picky, but technically, "weight-lifting" has been a respected sport since the dawn of time, but "body-building" was not (and it still shouldn't be, if you ask me).
I basically agree with you, which is why I put the word 'sport' in quotes. My point is that people seem to think of him as a "bodybuilder" and "actor" and then dismiss him as "not a serious politician" because of it -- while completely missing the fact that he was a successful businessman before he became famous for these other things.

Whether you think body-building should be a respectable sport or not, I think people tend to remember that he held a prestigious title several times over and forget that this sport was NOT well-paid nor status-y until he made it that way. He was not some 'star athlete' that defected to the U.S. and got welcomed with open arms and handed an expense account. He is also not like a star basketball or football player who made his millions from being a "jock".

If he were not so famous as an actor and body-builder, he would still be a millionaire businessman -- he was before he became an actor and he didn't make any money off of competing as a body-builder. And millionaire businessmen routinely go into politics and get taken seriously. The fact that people seem to 'forget' and overlook his activities as a legitimate and successful businessman flies in the face of statements that he is 'just doing this for attention'. He keeps a lot of his activities very low key. He is certainly not doing like the Planet Hollywood crowd and posing for celeb pics in front of his latest restaurant, in hopes that flashiness and his name alone will make it successful.

He is a self-made man who came here as a body-builder when body-building paid 'nothing' and he became rich and got his degree here, in America, in a language that was not his native language. He wasn't some rich kid that got sent to Harvard and then introduced around the Old Boys Club by Daddy. I have a real hard time understanding how anyone can suggest he is some incompetent dolt.

And, so far, the only 'dirt' they have managed to dig up was that, when he was single and rich and famous and had a great body, he made a few unwelcomed passes at a few women who were offended by his gregarious nature and perhaps poor grasp of English. Excuse me? This is some kind of slur against his moral character? (And have ANY of these women said that he persisted after they told him "No thanks. Get lost."?)

So it looks like we might actually have a politician who has brains, competence, and moral fiber. I think people are looking for flaws because it seems too good to be true.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I think the problem most people have is that he was elected with no platform except to repeal the car tax, he refused to debate, and (appearently) refused even to give interviews after he botched a few.

I'd tend to want to hear something other than old movie quotes from someone before I make them my governor, but maybe that's why I'm not in California.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
...I'd tend to want to hear something other than old movie quotes from someone before I make them my governor, but maybe that's why I'm not in California.
you forgot the:

"and on election day, I love watching the dead rise from thier graves and do the Zombie Leg Drag to the poles here in Chicago. Its so sad when they are finished, it must be hard to know you have to bury yourself again until next election. Not knowing if you really won or not."

:) :) :) :) :) :)

SGB

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I think the problem most people have is that he was elected with no platform except to repeal the car tax......
As a source of over $6 billion in annual revenue for CA state government, I'm betting that this is one of many campaign promises that will be broken.

Besides, Ahnold will soon learn that breaking campaign promises is a time-honored tradition among elected politicians.

BKM

Cyburbian
I have to join the "bash jordanb brigade" on this one: someone from CHICAGO lecturing California on politics????? :)

I actually don't think he is "dumb" at all. A little arrogant, egocentric, and all that (but what "alpha male" isn't?) I am a little concerned about this arrogance, the lack of platform, the lack of experience (couldn't he at least have tried to be elected mayor or something first).

Although I can't join everyone in blaming Gray, the fact remains he was an amoral man who totally lacked leadership capabilities. He couldn't even inspire his own base.

As for the car tax, it was intended as a temporary tax cut when the state was flush. Local govenrments are heavily dependent on it.

moose

Michele Zone said:

So it looks like we might actually have a politician who has brains, competence, and moral fiber. I think people are looking for flaws because it seems too good to be true.
A flaw, I would think, is that he hasn't a SHRED of political experience. Politics and business are totally different, or else Bill Simon would have been elected last time. At a time when California needs a good politician more than anything, they elected a question mark. Now they're going to have to lie in the bed they've made. He could be great, but it could be three years of hell, too.

Now I'm just waiting for him to make good on his hydrogen-powered Hummer campaign promise.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
Hell, it worked for Reagan!

Doc Brown: Ok future boy, who's president in 1985?
Marty: Ronald Reagan
Doc Brown: Ronald Reagan? The actor? Now way!

moose said:
A flaw, I would think, is that he hasn't a SHRED of political experience. Politics and business are totally different, or else Bill Simon would have been elected last time.
Well, I do not think it is accurate to say he hasn't a SHRED of political experience. It is true that he has never held office, but he was 'the fitness Czar' (or whatever his actual title was) under Bush and he did recently go to the U.S. Congress and get both the Republicans and the Democrats to agree to give Federal money to a California after school mentoring program.

So if you want to be nitpicky about the difference between weight lifting and body building, I think it is fair to be nitpicky about the difference between "Never having held office" and "he hasn't a SHRED of political experience". There are plenty of people who did not previously hold office but who had political experience through other means before holding office. (Corazon Aquino comes to mind.)

Additionally, Sonny Bono and Clint Eastwood ran for Mayor for essentially selfish reasons -- the people in power were interfering with their business dealings. Schwarzenegger isn't doing this for personal gain. In fact, he is likely to lose money because running the state will prevent him from spending all his time making more movies and business deals.

I will happily take a 'political novice' with a proven track record of success in everything he has ever done and selfless motives over some guy trying to use his office for personal gain (wasn't Gray Davis accused of that too?) who has loads of political experience and a track record of incompetence. Gray Davis was so incompetent he couldn't get solid backing from his own party. I will sleep better with California taking its chances with this 'question mark'. It is bound to beat hell out of the Sure Thing we were getting with Davis.

EDIT: I left in the sentence about politics and business being totally different because I had also intended to say that while that may be true, politics and Hollywood may not be so different. I saw an interesting snippet in a show about Reagan's presidency. Because he had been an actor, he was always conscious of his backdrop any time photos and film were being shot of him. He always made sure that his backdrop was very grand and dramatic -- very 'presidential'. It permanently changed the way the president gets represented in the media. In a media-savvy culture, it is not a bad thing to know how to play to the camera.

Last edited: