• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Community development 💪 ARPA funding

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I'm particularly interested in the public utility funding rules/allowances.

They seem quite broad and could be of use to us literally right now for an ED project that's coming our way where we need to extend water & sewer.

The 'premium pay to eligible workers' has great potential for reinforcing workers' goodwill and loyalty at effectively no direct local cost to local taxpayers.

Last edited:

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Yes, if they are broad enough to allow the use of funds for any water or sewer project than that is something that could help lots of communities and further the mission of the Federal Government to get these plants and lines updated.

bureaucrat#3

I think there's a good chance we wind up doing some major sewer plant upgrades just because we've struggled meeting criteria for CARES funding. Still have a chunk of that to spend and no one is requesting it anymore. I think there was some idea about doing a larger Pre-K program, but we're waiting to see if that becomes funded through other ways.

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
I am wondering about city buildings. I am hoping that infrastructure covers a broad range of things not just water and sewer. We have been pouring money into that now for 20 years as a state.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
This will be interesting. According to the article below, it is a bit more limited that I think some of our neighboring communities think.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Ohio just redistributed the funds to include townships. Boy o' boy did they screw over Villages and Cities, as most communities estimated funding was halved.

Whatever money we receive will be put to good use. I am hopeful other communities will also utilize the funds to help make their communities better... no matter how much funding they receive.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Is anybody here at an organization applying for funds through the Community Navigator Pilot Program through the SBA?

We've decided to apply but it was a bit of a last-minute decision and somehow ended up in my lap. I've never been the actual point-person on the front end of a grant so I might want to pick your brains.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I now realize I never want to be a grant writer.
Grant writing sucks. When I worked for a non-profit that was a fair amount of what I did in order to get project funding. From time to time I had to participate in broader efforts. It's definitely a good skill set to have but one that I do not wish to do full time. Now I am on the funding side and review grant applications for funding, but I have designed the application to be as streamlined as possible. Like I told my ex boss "more questions does not result in a better application for funding, better questions do" so I reduced the grant application questions in half. Most developers like it because by the time they get through it and the resulting review all I have left to do is the NEPA review and submit to HUD for approval, then we're immediately into drafting agreements.