• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it away, sell it, or spam you), or through Facebook or a Microsoft ID. Google and Twitter coming soon. 🙂

Article - 21 Nicest Small Towns in America Everyone Should Visit Before They’re 50

dvdneal

Cyburbian
Been to Gatlinburg, Williamsburg, and Sedona. You can skip Sedona. All the tourists ruined it. Pretty rocks though.

I do want to hit up Moab. You know, to go see Ursus.

Maybe next time I'm visiting mom in San Antonio I'll check out Fredericksburg.

Veloise

Cyburbian
Too late!

Been to:

TC (part of my then-job, was over 50)
Williamsburg (as a kid, and adult -- I'd go back, it's great)
Fredericksburg (a stop on a Hill Country bicycle tour)
Gatlinburg (a stop driving to Florida...IMHO nothing but strip malls)
Keystone (family vacay, then an adult trip)
Whitefish (I lived nearby in Missoula)
Put-In-Bay (had an 1812 gig, might happen again)

I did not see the part of the article wherein it was explained why these were must-dos by a certain age. That island in O-H... has a reputation as a party down, so I'd bring a good liver.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Williamsburg (fake history!), Beaufort (very nice), Dahlonega (not bad, wouldn't be in my top 21 nationwide)...been within a couple of miles of Ocean Springs, but I'm not counting that. I avoid Gatlinburg like the plague. A recent description of a visit there by an acquaintance:

We spent the last few days in Gatlinburg. Our room was nice and inexpensive, but damn, everything in that town costs about twice as much as you'd expect. Any dinky Ripley's attraction is $50+ for a family of four. Somehow, the tourists (who are, generally speaking, rednecks) can drop a small fortune. Also, the vibe of that town has changed in the last twenty years from "Hee Haw" to "Meth." The Smokies are at least still pretty fantastic.

I've been in Traverse, Williamsburg and Ocean Springs (very nice city btw). Like someone else mentioned, I'll have to to Fredricksburg next time I'm in San Antonio.