• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Planning boards Article - Carter Co. commission votes to shrink planning commission amid bonus controversy

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

Wow downsizing it self. Have you ever heard of such thing ?

And the bonus issue still ?

what a comment -
"If you've ever heard of a kangaroo court, this is a kangaroo planning commission,” Commissioner Mark Blevins said. “They're out of control, and quote me on this, they're out of control bad."

Clange000

Yes, part of the reason I have seen down sizing take place with a planning commission is to reduce the number of members needed to reach a quorum. Our commission recently went from 9 to 7 which made the number needed for a quorum drop by 2. Getting citizens to commit to frequent meetings can be challenging and if you have things that need to be taken care of you don’t want to risk not having a quorum. This is just my take from past experience.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Wouldn't a change from a 9 member to a 7 member commission drop the quorum requirement by one (1)? From 5 to 4? It would here in my neck of the woods.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
a) A 12 person Commission is a pretty large one. In my last municipality, we'd had problems with getting volunteers and having a quorum so I created the PB with 5 members and 2 alternates. Most meetings had 6 in attendance so it was probably the right size for that small community.

b) I'm confused. The article mentioned that the PB had written a letter requesting that the Planning Director get a $15,000 bonus. I would argue that the County Administrator would have had to approve that request in order for it to have been paid. So... did the Planning Director actually get the bonus? And, if so, isn't that the fault of the County Administrator who approved it and not the Planning Board who should have no authority over that?