• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Zoning: general Article - City of Marion planning to rezone entire city

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The article seems really poorly written. A quote:

One city planner said rezoning can help ensure some neighborhoods stay as they are, but also promote growth in other areas. Dave Hockett, the principal planner with Marion, said rezoning hasn’t happened in the city in decades.

“The last complete update was in 1979. So, this is our first major update other than doing it as development occurs,” Hockett said.

Last year, the city council approved 31 new zoning codes. Now, they are working to map it all out.

What the hell does "31 new zoning codes" even mean?

My guess - it's a city adopting a new zoning code. Is there a link to the new document? Is there anything special about the new code -- form-based, plain English, SmartCode, ClearCode, UDC, whatever?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

One city planner said rezoning can help ensure some neighborhoods stay as they are, but also promote growth in other areas. Dave Hockett, the principal planner with Marion, said rezoning hasn’t happened in the city in decades.

“The last complete update was in 1979. So, this is our first major update other than doing it as development occurs,” Hockett said.

Last year, the city council approved 31 new zoning codes. Now, they are working to map it all out.

What the hell does "31 new zoning codes" even mean?

My guess - it's a city adopting a new zoning code. Is there a link to the new document? Is there anything special about the new code -- form-based, plain English, SmartCode, ClearCode, UDC, whatever?
My guess is the city approved 31 rezoning requests last year.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member

I read it as 31 new zoning districts, which, if true, an obscenely high number of districts for a city of 40,000 pop in 16.6 sqmi.

I'm in a City of 27,000 pop/13 sqmi and we have 12 zoning districts.