• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

article - ‘Highly visible eyesore’: Hillsborough sues to declare Flintstone House a ‘public nuisance’

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Hillsborough. Enough said. I've driven the I-280 countless times and can't recall ever seeing the house.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's interesting to see what other communities consider as an "eyesore".

Here's a house on a major street in town, that I often pass by often. Those aren't bushes -- they're weeds. We have a serious tick problem here.

GUKYXMM.jpg

This house has been this way as long as I've lived here. I'm assuming the municipality's code enforcement department either doesn't see a problem with this, or they've been told to back off any enforcement efforts. Based on what I see in a local Facebook group, people here LOVE this place. I wish I was kidding. One of the personal challenges I face working where I do -- there's a collective tolerance of "rustic" conditions in the built environment. Where I see blight or an eyesore, the larger community sees "character".

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
town’s administrative hearing panel
“The panel cannot support a project that proceeds on a ‘build first, ask for permission later’ basis,” the order said.
Ms. Fang’s improvements, the panel added, were “designed to be very intrusive, resulting in the owner’s ‘vision’ for her property being imposed on many other properties and views, without regard to the desires of other residents.”
And that, Mr. Hudak, the lawyer for Hillsborough, said, “is the heart of the problem.”

How often do you get a rezoning / special use / variance application after a property has been cited for a violation ?

darnoldy

Cyburbian
For most of its life, the "Flintstone House" was camel-colored. The current owner has painted it an assortment of bright colors. But this is not what the city is suing over-- it the 15-foot-tall dinosaurs sculptures that were placed in the yard without a permit.

Also, this is no longer being used as a private residence, but is being rented out as an "event center"?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

typically, we look for a little more content than just a link for a thread starter in the professional forums. You should express a view or pose a question.

So, what do you think about the 'Flintstones' house? Is this a 1st Amendment issue?

Moderator note:

Different Mod here...threads merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coragus

Cyburbian
If you don't have aesthetics regulations, then too bad for you. If the building was built to code, then there isn't anything you can really do.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I don't know about not being able to do anything. Maybe not the structure, but certainly the use. I mean if this thing is being rented out as an event center and that's not a permitted use in the zoning district there could be something quite definite to go after.