• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Environment Article: In battle to protect power grid, trees often lose

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
http://www.stltoday.com/business/national-and-international/in-battle-to-protect-power-grid-trees-often-lose/article_bbd34b3e-1aa6-534c-b805-bc77f1f3682c.html

'Homeowners, rightly so, have a strong allegiance and a strong affinity for the trees on their property or adjacent to their property," said Wes Kocher, a certified arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture. But "they want power and they want electricity all the time. Nobody wants a power outage. But, at the same time, it's almost a NIMBY-ism, the `not in my backyard' approach."

Power companies are trying to balance the power demand and the need for what they call "vegetation management" with homeowners' love for towering greenery.
Another example of NIMBY.

Our Electric Utility is a
Tree Line USA Utility
is your ?
On their website they discuss their practices: http://www.vectren.com/web/eenablement/learn_about/safety/safety_elec_tree_trim_i.jsp

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Linky no worky:-o

Here, the electric company hands out free mousepads that diagram a 15' "No Planting Zone" on either side from the centerline of their utility pole. Where I come from, that's an easement and if you need 15' or 30', you damn well better pay me for it. And if you start hacking my trees absent an easement, I'm going to sue for treble damages.

There are some trees here that the utility has simply hacked and I always wonder why the hell the damn thing doesn't come down in any storm. These trees aren't notched, but rather shaped like your hand with the thumb extended outward. The electric grid just needs to go the hell underground once and for all.

:-@

ColoGI

Cyburbian
After the big northeast blackout, FERC and NERC were additionaly empowered to clear transmission and distribution rights of way. That's just the way it is. Clearance pruning unhappiness has been with us for a long time, but now with the new rules there is not much a homeowner can do any more. This is a function of our power-driven society.