• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Article - Meet the latest tourist attractions: Abandoned factories

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I've been in and around the Packard Plant in Detroit many times over the past 10 or 15 years. Everything from illegal parties and concerts to movie shoots to art fairs. Over the past couple of years they've steadily been cleaning it up, redeveloping and renovating parts, and pushing out the squatters but there seems to still be quite a bit of activity down there. They still have a lot of arts-type activities quite often that usually attract pretty good crowds.

I've been to Gas Works Park in Seattle and it's one of the coolest urban parks I've ever been to. The first time I went to the park I was out on a run while visiting Seattle and basically just stumbled into the park since I didn't have a set route I was following. It was early in the day on a dreary, foggy morning and one of the eeriest sights I had ever seen. I've been back to Seattle a couple times since then and always check it out.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I've not been to any listed except the Gas Works Park in Seattle but these sites are right up my alley!

Beyond the interesting awe of days gone by, I can't help but wonder if these sites have Certificates of Occupancies and about how their insurance might work for this type of tour. (Does that make me lame?)

Hawkeye66

Cyburbian
We had a guy ask us recently if we were going to use tours of the WWTP as a tourist attraction. So there's that.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Gary, Indiana has a version of disaster tourism. Evidently there are the ruins of church and other grand buildings from Gary's glory, prosperous days. People like visiting what's left of the buildings and taking pix.