• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Article - NC homeowner wanted median gone and when town said no, he arranged it himself, cops say

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article228431579.html

paid the foreman from personal funds to remove an excavator from the Monroe job site, on company time, and take it to his neighborhood to remove the median,”
facing charges of injury to real property and felony conversion, according to the sheriff’s office.
Facebook - Union County Sheriff's Office, Monroe, NC

The streets of Brandon Oaks are maintained by the Town of Indian Trail but the landscaping material within the median are property of Brandon Oaks Homeowners Association. Therefore, the damage to the median involves two victims.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Wow!! I'm guessing this action will not only cause him to lose his job, but could jeopardize his certification as an engineer. What a foolish decision!

On a much smaller scale, I've heard stories about a man in my work community who requested a speed bump be installed in his neighborhood. When the request was denied by the City, he paid for one of the rubber-style attachable speed bumps and installed it himself. So the story goes -- it was there in the street for over a year before the City realized it wasn't supposed to be there and removed it. (In the City's defense(?), it was in a dead-end road neighborhood that was rarely in need of DPW assistance.)

DVD

Cyburbian
A few jobs ago in a city not so far away there was a guy on a corner lot who wanted a gravel driveway from his RV gate out to the front street. City wouldn't let him since his driveway access was on the other side of the house and we just did one access per house. Most people just drove over the gravel and the rolled curb, but this guy was special. He made a brick bordered path with gravel to the corner of the intersection. You know that pesky ADA ramp that's not big enough for cars let alone an RV? It's big enough after he was done with it. Access went right into the intersection. The bigger problem, because messing with ADA ramps isn't big enough, is the damn stop sign that was in his way. Plucked that annoying thing right out. He argued with code enforcement about how to get an approved ramp until the code officer told him if he didn't have permits in to return it to original by the end of the week the police would be there to arrest him for criminal damages on Saturday. Plans were in the next day.

B'lieve

Cyburbian
Wooow, gotta love the entitlement :poop:

I'm curious why the guy in NC wanted the median removed? Does his truck have to compensate that much that he needs the median gone to get it in and out of his driveway?

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
Wooow, gotta love the entitlement :poop:

I'm curious why the guy in NC wanted the median removed? Does his truck have to compensate that much that he needs the median gone to get it in and out of his driveway?

I'm guessing he was tired of not being able to make a left out of his driveway and felt his time was too valuable to waste driving an extra 60' to circle around the median when he wanted to go the other way. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom