• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Article: original content 📃 ARTICLE -OMB backs off change to ‘city’ definition

JNA

Cyburbian Plus

The new MSA definition will not touch the 50,000 threshold but will make other adjustments to the definition.

Further details at
2020 Standards for Delineating Core Based Statistical Areas

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I thought the threshold was already 100,000. The area where I work wasn't considered an MSA by the Census until 2010, when the county population topped 100,000.

bureaucrat#3

I thought the threshold was already 100,000. The area where I work wasn't considered an MSA by the Census until 2010, when the county population topped 100,000.
The difficult part is that it's not done by municipal or county boundaries. The Census creates urban areas based on density, contiguity, and some other factors. You not only have to have total population, but you also have to meet the density in your "urban" areas as defined by the Census. The urban area for my MSA boundary includes portions of two cities and unincorporated county, but also excludes portions of all three.

Reactions: Dan