Article: When Neighbors Go Bad

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Q. Anybody read the Parade Magazine article July 11, 2004;

interesting refencence in the article:

the book - Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries, & Noise
by Cora Jordan

National Association for Community Mediation: http://www.nafcm.org/index.cfm

Read the article in the paper today. Tomorrow our local newspaper is profiling the wife of Alan Davis, the ultimate bad neighbor who is serving one year in jail for his collection of junk. He was on one of the national news shows a year or two ago, the guy with the big butt statues in his yard, airplane parts, etc. There was no mediation with this one, he's a nut case.

I haven't used mediation and I don't think it's used much in our area.

The One

Cyburbian
Mediation

Mediation is ok for some issues.... My grandfather spent the last 10 years of his life pushing for greater mediation in Northern Virginia. Mediation is great for private disputes of all kinds, but once you put government into the picture, it begins to fail as a useful tool (government as mediator?). This is largely due to the rule of law and due process establishment. I think mediation should be a key part of new HOA covenants and restrictions and other contracts.

JNA said:
Q. Anybody read the Parade Magazine article July 11, 2004;

interesting refencence in the article:

the book - Neighbor Law: Fences, Trees, Boundaries, & Noise
by Cora Jordan

National Association for Community Mediation: http://www.nafcm.org/index.cfm
Yep. I would like to get my hands on that book. I have been directed to report to our city council next week on a similar issue. Joy! :-#

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
plankton said:
Yep. I would like to get my hands on that book. I have been directed to report to our city council next week on a similar issue. Joy! :-#

I have read it. It is a good book with case studies and general law stuff.