• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

As inspired by Dan’s “Do you have an accent?” thread.

H

Cyburbian
What is your favorite accent?

Me, I go crazy over the nasally Midwest accent I have heard visiting Central Indiana. Not the trashy one that people have at the Kmart and AutoZone, but the old school conservative Hoosiers farmer’s daughters one. WOW.

I also like what I think is the Minnesota accent. I have not been there, but from what I have heard in the movies and TV I like it.

(The 2 above statements generally just apply to females; I could care less about a guy’s accent, sorry dudes).

What accents do you like? (This should not be limited to US accent).

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Scottish. It can be difficult to understand, depending on what part of the country the speaker is from. I did pretty well at understanding it when my husband and I visited Scotland a few years ago... surprising, considering it was my first trip overseas and he actually lived in Germany and England for several years.

Kathie_WE

Cyburbian
Ooops should have read this thread before posting in Dan's...

I love all accents but some that strike a particular fancy -- the old time Baltimore accent, Boston's, Southern US, Canadian, West Indies, and Indian.

The one accent that is a bitting annoying is Long Island's -- especially when they add a "R" to the word IDEA.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
the Minnesotan/"U"per accent is great!

If you have heard the author and playwright Kevin Kling speak, than you know what I mean.

Last edited:

martini

Cyburbian
The dead sexiest acent I can think of is from the Blue Ridge Mtn's of Virginia. Especailly if spoken by a sweet blonde southern belle. Its just like honey! And I melt like honey when I here it...

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
German accents when accompanied by a cute blond German girl who can carry a pair of large liter beers, one for each of us! :)

JNL

Cyburbian
Another vote for Scottish. There's just something about the Scottish accent.

Budgie

Cyburbian
martini said:
The dead sexiest acent I can think of is from the Blue Ridge Mtn's of Virginia. Especailly if spoken by a sweet blonde southern belle. Its just like honey! And I melt like honey when I here it...
I agree, although I'm not sure things melt like honey - Schwing !!!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
My favorite accent? Plain English.
Most hated: Spanglish (actually some sort of sub-laguage)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Who speaks "Plain English"?
Plain English, as in, an English anybody (that knows English) can understand. Ye olde britishe do note counte, nor do any heavy accents of the US. In other words: "International English"

martini

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
I agree, although I'm not sure things melt like honey - Schwing !!!
'melt' meaning that I very quickly loose any sense of person, and become willing to do anything for said beautiful blonde southern belle. I could fall victim to evil plots very easily this way...

steveanne

South African English is pretty cool.

Sadly, I don't have a pseudo-witty comment for that.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Yo...

Ebonics has always be mine fave accent yo....

Its like from da ghetto, only diffrent, so belee dat da truth yo

moose

steveanne said:
I was just thinking that! Otherwise, I would have to say a three way tie for Cockney, Scottish and Irish.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
I'd have to say the accent from the movie "Fargo", if thats Minnesotian or North Dakotian, regardless it has something to due with the scandavian influence in the area.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Male - South African (Sef'frican), Irish
Female - Southern US/Tidewater (far eastern Virginia and North Carolina), Irish

I have the hardest time understanding thick Asian Indian accents. (Sorry Indians.) I was on the phone with a woman, inquiring abotu a house for rent, and it literally sounded like "Beedee bee deetee bee biddy deebee dee teebee diddy dee tee beedee teebee tiddy deedee dee biddy diddy beedeetee beedee dee." I gave up after a few minutes of pretending to understand what the hell she was saying.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
steveanne said:
Sadly, I don't have a pseudo-witty comment for that.
"Somebody hijacked my Beemer at a robot in Jo'burg. Would you like some biltong?"

The Irish One

Occasionally I work with a South African and her accent is very pleasing to the ear. Thanks for reminding me.

Most hated: Spanglish (actually some sort of sub-laguage)
I hate , I hate it! Some of my South American friends are furious at the lack of English skills amongst the local Mexican community. The local speak just turns into this slop of English and Mexican-Spanish -really nasty sounding stuff. It's not likely to change.

Queen B

Cyburbian
Chet said:
British lower class slang
So Chet, good one, you managed to get Budgie to say Cockney!
LMAO

Being truely from the Midwest, all accents are great!

Rem

Cyburbian
French and Irish.

Reminds me of the time I bought a completely uneccessary tin of boot dubbin off an Irish girl (backpacker/hawker type situation) because she charmed my socks off with the accent and a flirty demonstration on the shoe I was wearing. Would have charmed my pants off but she was 15 years younger and my wife was watching on with a bemused, pitying, you idiot look that took some of the gloss off. AMAB (All men are bastards TM).

Tom R

Cyburbian
ayuh

I like most all accents, but my favorite has to be the Ellsworth Down East Maine. The first time I heard an authentic speaker I was amazed. I had thought it was all an exaggerated put on. I understand that it gave the early voice recognition software developers a lot of trouble. What I don't like is the homoginized (Sorry cows) 5:00 news english.

tsc

Cyburbian
Jamaican,,, and Canadian.

I grew up in Upstate NY... my mother used correct my English .... with her Northern Jersey accent (don't ask me why) So upstaters think I am from Jersey/city... but NYC folk think I am from the "midwest or something" (although I was born in NYC)

I am just a gal without a homeland.....

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Classy Southern is nice. Almost any accent can sound good if its spoken well by an attractive woman with class.

prudence

Cyburbian
New Love

I just returned from 4 days in Mississippi...Natchez to be exact. Can you believe it?? Me in MS??

It is a noutstanding State. Everybody is so polite. And there are so many attractive women with incredible drawls. I may be moving.

Rem

Cyburbian
Re: New Love

prudence said:
....there are so many attractive women with incredible drawls. I may be moving.
As opposed to less auspicious men with incredible drools? Present company excepted.

Mastiff

Gunfighter

prudence said:
I just returned from 4 days in Mississippi...Natchez to be exact. Can you believe it?? Me in MS??

It is a noutstanding State. Everybody is so polite. And there are so many attractive women with incredible drawls. I may be moving.
Yep... That, literally (long story), is why I went to school in the south. And I'll never regret it.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Re: Re: New Love

Mastiff said:
Yep... That, literally (long story), is why I went to school in the south. And I'll never regret it.
You know, my fiancee claims that she went to school in the South for educational reasons. I know that the real reson she went was to bag herself a good-looking, charming and modest man with a southern accent. ;)

Ugh. I'm such an accent ho. British, Scottish, Irish, Aussie, Southern, New England. Anything but NY/NJ, Bahston, or my own annoying flat "a" midwest accent.

H

Cyburbian

prudence said:

Yes. I went to undergrad at OLE MISS (up in Oxford, Miss). You want to talk about polite people and good-looking women, brother that is the spot.

My friends and I jokingly referred to our time at OM as “Fantasy Camp”. ;)

Did you stay in the old hotel (high-rise) downtown Natchez? Did you eat at Pearl Street Pasta?

I love Natchez and the bluffs along the river.

In college we had a formal there in an Antebellum home, very impressive.

Also, Natchez has a very good MainStreet Program. I spoke with the director a few years back while writing a paper in school. I also spoke with a planner there regarding historic preservation code (they have an excellent one).

Did you make it up to Port Gibson? They have a great MainStreet program and director going as well.

That area is full of historic southern architecture because the north did not burn it.

Last edited: