• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

As Inspired by The Demise of SNL, What was the best skit ever?

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I think the funniest skit ever was the one with Stevie Wonder spoofing a Canon AE 1 commercial, and trying to hit a tennis ball.

When they did a skit of "The Exorcist" and featured Richard Pryor as the priest.

"Yo mama eats kitty litter."
"Don'tchoo talk about my mama!!!"

Classic comedy! :D:D:D:D

Second favorite: Eddie Murphy in "Mister Robinson's Neighborhood" and the Gumby and Buckwheat skits.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Schweddy balls? Sprockets? Matt Foley's Motivational speaker? Goth Talk? Uncle Jemima's Pure Mash Liquor? damn.. there's just so many good ones... :)

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood Christmas Special was my all-time favorite. Second was the mocumentary on the Men's Synchronized Swimming, which I think had Christopher Guest and Martin Short in it. Third was the first Chris Farley "Matt Foley" (...in a van, down by the river) skit with Christina Applegate and David Spade You could see Spade and Applegate trying so hard not to laugh at Farly.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
SNL Moments of Glory

I'd vote for the very early (late 70's?) era with the Point/Counterpoint satire with Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtin with Dan's line to Jane during a pro-choice debate:"Jane, you ignorant slut. If abortion had been legal before you were born, I'd performed it myself on your mother."

I may have been paraphrasing here, but that was the gist of it as I recall. Pure comic genius and it foretold the nastiness of "talking head-commentator TV" in the following years.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
"If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"

"In a van, down by......" (of course)

"Lothar of the Hill People"

Dana Carvey impersonating Dennis Miller on Weekend Update

"Jaws at your front door"

"The cheese shop sketch" ;-)

The bottled water from Lake Erie, circa late 70's

H

Cyburbian
After 9-11 when Will Ferrell was Mr. Patriotic with the American flag thong.

OMG…ROTFLMAO. :-D

It really broke the ice after the tragedy.

How can I forget Dana Carvey and the Church Lady??? Another favorite was when they did a skit based on the movie "Misery" and had Roseanne Bar as Annie Wilkes going beserk over Dana Carvey for retiring the Church Lady.

otterpop

Cyburbian
Bass-o-matic ("hmmm, that's good bass!), Chocolate donuts- the Breakfast of Champions, with John Belushi. The job interview between Richard Pryor and Chevy Chase; The Schiller Reel with Belushi as an old man dancing on the graves of fellow cast members. Bill Murray's bad lounge singer. Emily Latella. The Blues Brothers. The Samurai skits with Buck Henry and Belushi, The Excorisit sketch. The Czech brothers. And the list of classic SNL goes on and on.

I still enjoy Weekend Update, though it has long ago lost the farcical nature it has in the 70s and early 80s.

I get a kick out of "The Continental" with Christopher Walken, largely because it is shot from the perspective of the woman being sexually harrassed and the obviously masculine and meaty hand of the "victim" in elbow-length gloves.

Oh, I nearly forgot Chris Farley and PAtrick Swayze in the Chippendale sketch. It doesn't get much funnier than that.

The Irish One

Phil Hartman as Frank Sinatra "You dont scare me, I got chunks of guys like you in my stool" Now that's a line!!!!!!!

Anal Rententive Carpenter
Anal Retentive Chef
Anal Retentive Fisherman
Anal Retentive Sportsman

Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Pres. Bill Clinton

Johnny Carson skit w/ Dana Carvey and Phil H,. as Ed Mcmahan. "Right you are correct YES!"

Thank you Phil, love ya

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Best. Skit. Ever.

This song's about togetherness!

What we're spelling out for you
Is really, really good to do
Caring and kindness are the perfect fit!
You can do it anywhere!
In a park or on a chair!
Inside and outside!
In and out and in and out

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Re: Three words . . . .

Joe Iliff said:
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer
yes, yes, yes

analogous to the line "now I'm not a big city lawyer, but...."

I love that!!

Phil Hartman, RIP

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I can't believe I forgot this one: The ladies' man! (specially the time when they did the Starr report skit :-D)

Dan:
Fred Friendship, Umberto Unity, Carla Caring and Katie Kindness! :-D

The bottled water from Lake Erie, circa late 70's
Swill Mineral Water! :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
My favorite: "No Coke, Pepsi!"

Also, I don't remember what it was called... but there was this fake commercial for a personal catapult where you could just catapult your waste into your neighbour's yard. OMG... that commercial was so funny. I still giggle just thinking about it!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Other favorites ...

The Head Shop ("You put your weed in there!")

VH1 Behind the Music - Blue Oyster Cult ("I have a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!")

All of the Sprockets skits.

NPR Delicious Dish - the Schwete Weiner and Schwete Balls skits.

ESPN Sportscenter with Ray Romano ("But in my book, you gotta get to White Castle before the weirdos show up! Tonight at the Alamodome, he gets happy-go-jacky on the big white guy like a donkey eating a waffle! Sweet Sassy Molassey! Get out the checkbook and pay Grandma for the rubdown!").

Any of the Superfans skits. ("The Bears ... sixty-two tuh tree.")

Eddie Murphy sings "Kill All The White People" at a VFW hall.

Any of the Ambiguously Gay Duo cartoons.

The Abu Dhabi Kids Network.

BKM

Cyburbian
I have to admit that I still like SOME of the newer shows.

I really liked the spoof of the snobby clothing store (Geoffrey's) where Sean William Scott and Jimmy Fallon played ("gay?") shop assistants having to deal with this fat guy dressed in lime green Miami Vice leisure suit. The owner shows up in some kind of flying rocket chair, carrying a gigantic cell phone "Big is the new small. JLo has one that is twice this size)

Sprockets still rules, though.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Too Many to Choose

Here's a few that pop into my head.

Buckwheat wanted for murder - Eddie Murphy
Bass-o-matic - Dan Ackroyd
I hate it when that happens - Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest
The two old Jewish Guys - Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest
Maimway Products (Halloween Costumes) - Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtain
Tippy Turtle Cartoons
Mr. Robinsons Neighborhood (Cabbage Patch Kid) - Eddie Murphy
Ed Grimley - Martin Short

on and on and on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just remembered.

Medival Judge - Steve Martin
Festrunk Brothers - Steve Martin and Dan Ackroyd

otterpop

Cyburbian
Re: Too Many to Choose

Budgie said:
Here's a few that pop into my head.

I hate it when that happens - Billy Crystal and Christopher Guest
Maimway Products (Tippy Turtle Cartoons

Just remembered.

Medival Judge - Steve Martin
Festrunk Brothers - Steve Martin and Dan Ackroyd
Thanks, Budgie, I forgot about the "I hate it when that happens" guys and Tippy Turtle. Those were stand-outs from SNL's not so great years. And Theodoric of York

Christopher Guest never got the credit he should have. That man is funny. And he gets to sleep with Jamie Lee Curtis.

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I agree with most of the more popular ones mentioned above, as well as:

Toonces, the driving cat
You put your weed in there
Pat
many many others

Some of my real favorites were the mock commercials:

Colon Blow
A.M. Ale

And who could forget the twisted insight of Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

It's sad that a family can be torn apart by something as simple as a pack of wild dogs.

Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Vintage
Anything with Rosanne Rosanadana
Samurai butcher

Contemporary
Weekend Update
Anything Phil Hartman has a role in

Otis

Cyburbian
Samuri drycleaners

Gilda Radner's commercial for "'Hey, you!' The perfume for one-night stands"

In the very first show they hyped a segment, and then when it was about to start they did a fake NBC cut-away to a golf touranment in Hawaii. Very frustrating until you realized it was a hoax.

Bill Murray's lounge lizard

Tom Hanks and "Women, lower your standards!"

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
From my "mom and dad let me stay up and watch it " days to the baby sitter

"The Pepsi Syndrom" , and any of the Mister Bill skits

later years-

The video dating service that turned in to an MTV video w/ Julia Louis Dryfuss(sp) and Joe Piscapo (SP)

Micheal Jordans feminine hygene comercial

Dennis Miller in any of the newscasts

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Weekend Update B]

-With Norm MacDonald? That was the best.
-As for Phil Hartman, thats what happens when you get married so you guys better watch out!! (loved the guy)

steveanne

The best skit ever on SNL was Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell's Blue Oyster Cult "Cowbell" skit. This is also widely regarded as the funniest according to the crazies on aint-it-cool-news.com.

The Continental is freaking hilarious too. Basically any skit with Christopher Walken is funny.

And what, no votes for "Lothar of the Hill People?"

oulevin

Cyburbian
Al Gore's vice-presidential "Bachelor" rip-off

The "strategery" presidential debate

Fey/Fallon WU

Darrell Hammond - any impression but Chris Matthews' Hardball most of all

A second on the Christopher Walken/Blue Oyster Cult sketch...now that intro plays in my head every now and then

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
steveanne said:
The best skit ever on SNL was Christopher Walken and Will Ferrell's Blue Oyster Cult "Cowbell" skit. This is also widely regarded as the funniest according to the crazies on aint-it-cool-news.com.
-Cowbell skit was rocking, and so was that dead homeless lady with the maggots. Different story though.
-Where's the tread for the amount of money needed to keep this site alive.

donk

Cyburbian
The Farley Patrick Swayze chippendales skit.
Dan Ackroyd -Fred Garvin Male Prostitute.
Bass - o - matic
The chinchilla skinning/coat machine commercial (Dan Ackroyd)

MD Planner

Cyburbian
What about the one where Alec Baldwin is on the NPR show with the two granola girls and they're talking about his "Schweaty Balls". I crack up everytime I think about. The best part was watching the three of them oh so close to completely losing it themselves.

Ditto to just about everything so far, especially Christopher Walken as the Continental.

My favorite Wayne's World skit is the one with Madonna. "Look at the unit on that guy!"

Seabishop

Cyburbian
The cowbell one was great. The commercials are often the best part like Bathroom Monkey, the Disposable Toilet, the I"m #1 Hat, and the Headache Test.

Happy Fun Ball (Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball!)

Schmidts Gay Ale (with Sandler and Farley house sitting)

What - no Wayne's World mentions? - the best was when Tom Hanks and Aerosmith guest starred.

ilikefish0

Cyburbian
No one for Celebrity Jeopardy? I'm also a fan of the billy goat and samurai deli. John Belushi singing with Joe Cocker was also prety funny, eve though not really a skit.

tsc

Cyburbian
Planderella ...oh yeah,,, the Wayne's World Madonna skit.. that was a fun one!

What about Jon Lovitz as the Pathological Liar? "Yeah, that's it.......that's the ticket!"

Or Mike Meyers as Dieter - "You wanna touch my monkey?"