• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

TV / movies 📺 As Inspired by The Demise of SNL, What was the best skit ever?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I also forgot the Celebrity Jeopardy.. ah that sean connery impersonation is hillarious! :) Therapists, An Album Cover, etc :-D
And how could I forget: Nick Burns! :-} and the Mango skits :p

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: SNL Moments of Glory

Miles Ignatius said:
I'd vote for the very early (late 70's?) era with the Point/Counterpoint satire with Dan Ackroyd and Jane Curtin with Dan's line to Jane during a pro-choice debate:"Jane, you ignorant slut. If abortion had been legal before you were born, I'd performed it myself on your mother."

I agree!

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I don't think these two have been mentioned but I crack up everytime I see them:

1. Shcmitt's Gay Beer with Chris Farley and Adam Sandler.
2. Chippendales dacner skit with Chris Farley and Patrick Swayze.

Chippendale%20skit.JPG

J&farley3.jpg

Last edited:

Howard Roark

Cyburbian
Some more fav's-

Jim Belushi as the high school chess coach

Dana Carvey as the lawyer representing the whoopi cushin factory on 60 min.

Buckwheat' s assination,

Wannaplan?

Ready to Learn
Greatest Saturday Night Live Skits Ever!

Jim Carrey as freakish health-nut promoter in fake infomercial:

ride_the_snake.jpg

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I still love the weekend up date with Tina Fay and Jimmy Fallon. One week Jimmy was suppose to go see the movie “Meet the Parents.” His review said it was kind of a lame movie, and just and Robert Dineiro staying “You’re gonna meet me” (in a bad Dineiro impression). The following week, Robert Dineiro showed up, unannounced to Fallon. I thought that Jimmy was going to wet him self.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Two words.

Jingleheimer Junction.

I've provided a link just for those outside of North America who might not have ever seen SNL, so they can enjoy the Greatest SNL Skit Ever. "To the front of the line, Fred! F! F! F! F! F! F! F! F!"

Second best? I'd tell you, but I've got a fever, and The Bruce Dickinson says the only prescription is MORE COWBELL!

Third best? This little-known Spiegelman cartoon, called the Abu Dhabi Kids Network.

[tt][ presented in the Iraqi language, with English subtitles ]

[ open on "Saddam & Osama" title card ]

Announcer: It's the Abu Dhabi Kids Network! State-run and gobs of fun.

Jingle:
"Saddam & Osama!
On the run from American imperialist pig-eaters.
Satan tries to catch them
But they are endowed with amazing transforming powers.
Glory be to Allah!
Saddam & Osama!"

[ dissolve to Saddam and Osama sharing soup in the desert with a nomad ]

Saddam Hussein: Ah.. this soup will sustain us.

Nomad: Anything to help Super-Titans of Jihad!

Osama bin Laden: Your people are loyal, Saddam.

Saddam Hussein: Yes. [ over flashback statue footage ] Like the time I turned into a statue, and had to get all of Baghdad to play along by hitting me with shoes!

Osama bin Laden: Yes! All the world was fooled!

[ cut to CIA Headquarters, where cowboy hat-clad CIA members type on computers ]

CIA Agent #1: It appears Hussein is 13 degrees northwest of Mosul.

CIA Agent #2: Excellent! Alert the general, as we fornicate.

[ the two CIA agents begin to make out ]

[ cut to the White House ]

President George W. Bush: [ in the image of a monkey ] Boo-hoo-hoo! If me don't capture Arab soon, me going to crap myself!

Dick Cheney: [ eating a whole, roasted pig ] All is well, sir. Soon, we will rename Iraq East Dakota.

President George W. Bush: Too many words. No understand.

Dick Cheney: I will alert Israeli Prime Minister Sharon. [ looks below desk ] Mr. Sharon, we've located them.

Prime Minister Sharon: [ rises from behind the desk, wearing only a large diaper ] Fantastic!

Dick Cheney: Who told you to stop?

Prime Minister Sharon: Yes, sir. [ drops back behind the desk ]

[ dissolve back to the desert, as a pigeon in a beret delivers a letter to Saddam ]

Saddam Hussein: Cracky! Good to see you, old friend!

Osama bin Laden: Why the long face, Saddam?

Saddam Hussein: It's a letter from my wives. How I miss them.

Osama bin Laden: I miss mine. But, look - there is no time for tears. [ points to arriving American tanks ]

[ dissolve to title card ]

Announcer: "Saddam & Osama" will return after these messages..

[ dissolve to commercials ]

Announcer: Next, on Abu Dhabi Kids..

[ show scenes from a Bat-Man cartoon ]

Announcer: Bat-Man faces not one.. but three treacherous villains as he battles..

[ show The Joker ]

The Jew..

..and also does battle with..

[ show The Riddler ]

..the other Jew..

As they join forces with..

[ show The Penguin ]

The little old Jew. Next on.. "Bat-Man".

[ cut to "Martyrs" title card ]

Announcer: Then, on "The Martyrs", Halabi has too much ice cream and is far too happy.

Halabi: Not again! How am I going to eat all this delicious ice cream..?

Voice of Allah: That's your problem, Halabi. But don't neglect your seventy virgins.

[ seventy copies of the Olson Twins suddenly surround Halabi ]

Olson Virgins: Please hurry, Halabi!!

Halabi: Allah, you spoil me..

[ cut to "Disney Favorites" card, with Information Minister Mohammed standing foreground ]

Announcer: Then, it's "Disney Favorites", hosted by the Information Minister Mohammed.

Information Minister Mohammed: The Queen has arrived and has beheaded the dwarves, I swear by God, she remains the fairest of them all. Snow White and the Prince have committed suicide, and God will roast their stomachs in Hell.

Announcer: On "Disney Favorites".

[ cut to intercut images of kids dancing with decal-designed rocks and Iraqis throwing the same rocks at American tanks ]

Jingle: Rocks! Rocks! Rocks!
They come with cool decals
and cool fluorescent colors.
Then you throw them at the soldiers.
Collect them all!
Rocks!

[ cut back to "Saddam & Osama" title card ]

Announcer: And now, back to "Saddam & Osama".

[ the American tanks move in fast ]

Saddam Hussein: It's go-time, Sammy!

[ Saddam & Osama grab and make their power chant ]

Saddam & Osama: Power, power!

[ Saddam morphs into a goat, as Osama morphs into a bag of pork rinds ]

American General: [ passing Osama/pork rinds in his tank ] Wait.. were those pork rinds? [ wags tongue and turns his tank around ] Infidel-icious!

Saddam Hussein: Osama, no!

Osama bin Laden: Uh-oh.. bad choice.

[ Saddam morphs into the General Lee car from "The Dukes Of Hazzard". Osama/pork rinds jumps inside ]

Saddam & Osama: Hee-haw!

[ they jump over the hills and escape ]

Osama bin Laden: You saved my holy butt.

Saddam Hussein: Can I have one pork rind?

Osama bin Laden: [ stern ] Sad-dam...

[ cut to title card ]

Announcer: "Saddam & Osama"!

[ credits roll, numerous names written in the Iraqi language except for one credit to Sean Penn as a writer ]

[ fade ] [/tt]

el Guapo

Capitalist
otterpop said:
Oh, I nearly forgot Chris Farley and PAtrick Swayze in the Chippendale sketch. It doesn't get much funnier than that.

That one has my vote too. Although the Weekend Updates had their moments. They were the first funny news. I loved the Candice Burgen - Dan Ackroyd Evil toy maker interview and Steve Martin's "Flydini the Magician" still cracks me up.

Planderella

Cyburbian
I had to revive this old thread.....

...to add a couple more skits to my faves list:

"The Barry Gibb Show" with Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake
"D*ck in the Box" with Andy Samberg and Justin Timberlake
The entire episode with Peyton Manning as the host - he did surprisingly well.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Homage to my hometown. . .

(Dan Ackroyd)

Hello, I'm Fred Garvin, male prostitute. I'm from Bettendorf, Iowa; you know, one of the Quad Cities. . . .

Bubba

Cyburbian
"D*ck in the Box" with Andy Samberg and Justin Timberlake

The "digital shorts" have been the best stuff of recent vintage - "Lazy Sunday", Natalie Portman going gangsta...

My personal favorite (without scrolling all the way through this thread) was the Star Wars auditions (Kevin Spacey as Christopher Walken trying out for Han Solo, etc.). Not the best of all time - nothing really compares to the early years - just my favorite.

Last edited:

craines

Cyburbian
The skit where Buck Henry Plays the Pervy Uncle
Martin Short with Harry Shearer (sic) doing their sync swimming all the while Martin
Kept uttering "I am not a particurly strong swimmer.

Martin Do Katherine Hepburn
Bill Murray doing the lounge act

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Favorite SNL skits - Any of the John Belushi Samurai skits

Favorite SNL show - John Belushi behing Joe Cocker, mimicking/mocking him while he was singing.

I didn't watch SNL until the late 90s early 00's. My favorite skits are:

• the Brian Fellows' skits
  • Will Ferrell and Cheri Oteri as cheerleaders
  • Will Ferrell and Rachel Dratch as the intellectual 'lover' couple
  • Christopher Walken's 'need more 'cowbell'
  • when Al Sharpton hosted and he played Johnny Cochran and him and Michael Jackson were on a rollercoaster.
    Cheri Oteri as Barbara Walters

johnelsden1

Anything with Chevy Chase, Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, John Belushi..............I loved the first 7-8 years, after that, nah.........

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm reviving this thread for ... The Californians. :wine: Take Santa Monica and turn right on Wilshire, take another right onto Beverly Glen, turn left on Mulholland, and keep going until it turns to dirt!

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This may make me a heretic, but I was never an SNL fan. Most of their humor seemed to be about making fun of people. As an outsider, outcaste and socially inept teenager in HS, it seemed that they were making fun of people like me. I always seemed to identify with the geeks, nerds and outsiders.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
point counter point
Classic
Jane, you ignorant, misguided slut! Once again, you missed the point entirely. [ enraged ] Why should I pay hard-earned dollars so welfare tarts can have sex anytime they want, without regards to consequences? Haven’t these bimbos heard of abstinence? I, myself, haven’t had sex for two years – and I’m rich! Why should I foot the bill for killing unborn infants, anyway? I’ll pay for something practical like sterilization – but abortions? Never! With one exception – if I had been around when your mother was having you, not only would I have paid for the abortion, but I would have performed it myself!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
This may make me a heretic, but I was never an SNL fan. Most of their humor seemed to be about making fun of people. As an outsider, outcaste and socially inept teenager in HS, it seemed that they were making fun of people like me. I always seemed to identify with the geeks, nerds and outsiders.
This is interesting because many of the cast (past and present) were not the popular kids in life before SNL (and actually many aren't after SNL ;) ), so I always took the various characters and jokes as self deprecating and/or punching up more often than not.

How many times has SNL made fun of politicians? Every other sketch on each episode in every season, at least. This is the epitome of punching up.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
This is interesting because many of the cast (past and present) were not the popular kids in life before SNL (and actually many aren't after SNL ;) ), so I always took the various characters and jokes as self deprecating and/or punching up more often than not.

How many times has SNL made fun of politicians? Every other sketch on each episode in every season, at least. This is the epitome of punching up.
It's just my perception of the show, nothing more.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
SNL was so great in the 70s because it wasn't afraid to make fun of the establishment. Now, SNL is the establishment and should be cancelled.

Reactions: DVD

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Paul Simon in the turkey costume. Still crazy, after all these years.