• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Ask the numismatist anything. Go ahead, anything...

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
My understanding is that you drink water and collect coins. Would you say I understand 75% of what it means to be you? More?
I also chew gum, but I'm all out of gum.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Would numismatists rather see a newly created Millard Fillmore half dollar or a William Henry Harrison gold dollar?

Also, which of your numismatist friends do you think would last longest in a cage match with Jon Jones?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
It is empty. You got cheated.
It was $10, so it was a good buy, actually.

Would numismatists rather see a newly created Millard Fillmore half dollar or a William Henry Harrison gold dollar?
Well, there was a WHH 'golden' dollar minted in 2009. And a Fillmore dollar in 2010.

I would be willing to accept a 2019 Silver Proof Set if someone needs a xmas gift idea for me.

Also, which of your numismatist friends do you think would last longest in a cage match with Jon Jones?
Probably Bill. The 70 year old vet with lower leg circulation issues and an overall grumpy demeanor. But it would be short, just longer than the other Old GuysTM at the local coin club.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
What should I do with all the all-silver coins that I own? Dimes through silver dollars. A large baggy full of them.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
What should I do with all the all-silver coins that I own? Dimes through silver dollars. A large baggy full of them.
Take them to a local respectable coin dealer to determine 'value'.

PM me the dates and mintmarks and I can give you a good general wholesale value amount.

Wow...an actual serious inquiry.

DVD

Cyburbian
Do you think my mom would notice if I "acquired" one of her many zip lock bags full of half and dollar coins?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I found this old wheat penny in my change yesterday. How much is it worth?

1943.jpg

Okay, seriously ...

A question, from someone who used to collect coins (and still has his childhood coin collection!): Why do American coins use words to identify their value ("ONE CENT", "FIVE CENTS", "ONE DIME", etc.) instead of numerals (1¢, 5¢, 10¢, etc.)?

What's the most unusual or valuable coin you've found in circulation? Before 1990 or so, I used to find two or three silver dimes or quarters in my change every year.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
A question, from someone who used to collect coins (and still has his childhood coin collection!): Why do American coins use words to identify their value ("ONE CENT", "FIVE CENTS", "ONE DIME", etc.) instead of numerals (1¢, 5¢, 10¢, etc.)?
I'm not sure, but it likely is an artistic/aesthetic decision. Spelling out the words fits and looks better on anything given coin's design.
What's the most unusual or valuable coin you've found in circulation? Before 1990 or so, I used to find two or three silver dimes or quarters in my change every year.
Nothing very 'unusual', but I have found three 1950-D Jefferson 5 cent coins in circulation. Each coin is worth about $7-$10 to a dealer. It's the lowest mintage Jefferson 5 cent so far (and likely forever given the annual modern mintages).

That's a pretty good ROI given the $0.05 acquisition cost.

Last edited:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I have a dozen or so steel pennies (1943 and 44) in fair - good condition. If I were to sell them, am I looking at a used car or perhaps pay for Junior's trade school?

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I said 43 and 44 because they are steel Lincoln pennies and I know they made those during the war years.....but now I'm extremely eager to get home and see if in fact I DO have a 44. That would be great!
Officially, only 1943 was the production year for steel Lincoln cents.

1944 steel cents are errors, but do exist and are highly valuable.

And I hope you do have a 1944 steel cent.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
This is just my opinion: I think American coins (and currency) are generally unattractive, and that we can do so much better with design. There's too much clutter and deference to tradition. Laws that require "LIBERTY", "IN GOD WE TRUST", and "E PLURIBUS UNUM" to be on all coins limits design flexibility. Older coin collectors balk at the idea of coins that don't have traditional symbolism -- eagles, a Roman-style bust of Liberty, other classical iconography (torches, fasces, etc), and historically popular presidents. We're afraid to do anything innovative -- bimetallic coins, colored coins (like Canada), puzzles (different parts of the royal shield on UK coins), and the like.,

Even the striking quality of American coins seems "off" compared to circulating coins in other countries. It's like uncirculated American coins are duller, or have less relief, than the circulating coins of other countries.

The only items that should be mandatory on coins are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", the date and mint mark, and the denomination, preferably in the form of a numeral.

The United States has the most awesome stamps in the world, though. Too bad stamp collecting is mostly dead.

19-Spooky-Stamps2.jpg 19-Sesame-Street-Ernie.jpg17-Disney-The-Queen2.jpg

18-Dragons-Stamps-A.jpg18-Scooby-Doo-A.jpg16-PetsPuppies.png

19-Wild-Scenic-Rivers.jpg

12_WaveStamps_All.jpg

d8c08c-20171004-snowydaystamps.jpg

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A followup: does your collection extend into exonumia? I was looking at my old coin collection a couple of months ago, and found 1980s arcade tokens mixed in with some loose found-in-circulation solver.

buffalo_arcade_tokens_1.jpg

buffalo_arcade_tokens_2.jpg

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
No exonumia for me. But I would be interested in medals (a subset of exonumia) as there is alot of history and artistry in this tradition, especially in European history.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I collected stamps when I was a kid and still have a collection in storage somewhere. Seems I should have sold them off about 20 years ago. Oh well.

Maybe we need a 'Go ahead and Ask the Philatelist Anything' thread?

Bubba

Cyburbian
Do random Moroccan coins from the 1950s (or possibly slightly earlier) have any value for collectors?

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The American coins that are in circulation are pretty blasé. The collector quality ones get better design wise. The baseball coin from several years back is pretty cool. America does do a stand up job on its stamps. They are keep coming up with new ones as well.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Do random Moroccan coins from the 1950s (or possibly slightly earlier) have any value for collectors?
There's always some level of 'value'. How high depends on the particular coin type, it's metal composition and its condition.

Pics will help me pinpoint 'value' for you.

Bubba

Cyburbian
There's always some level of 'value'. How high depends on the particular coin type, it's metal composition and its condition.

Pics will help me pinpoint 'value' for you.
I'll try to remember to grab them the next time I'm in the basement - I think that's where I stashed them. My father was stationed in Morocco (Naval Air Station Port Lyautey) for a couple of years in the late '50s; I assume that's where and when he picked them up.

Richmond Jake

Take them to a local respectable coin dealer to determine 'value'.

PM me the dates and mintmarks and I can give you a good general wholesale value amount.

Wow...an actual serious inquiry.
Thanks for the offer. But I got my coins out and there are too many to inventory--it would take me hours. If knew how to post a pic here, I would. I'll take them to a local dealer after Christmas.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
That sounds dirty. I have some questions.....
I used to collect stamps when I was a kid but haven't for years. I guess you could say I'm a philatelist, just not a practicing philatelist.

Richmond Jake

mendelman - I sent you an image of some of my coins to your number when we met in Chicago. It's probably changed.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
mendelman - I sent you an image of some of my coins to your number when we met in Chicago. It's probably changed.
Go it. I have an old school flip phone, so I'll just tell you here that you have about $280 dollars (at the low end) worth of silver coins there.