• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

At least they're trying....

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Homeless Challenge Public Drinking Law

Forget trying to get a job, these guys have their priorities straight.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) - If the rich and powerful can drink in a public park in the weeks before next year's Super Bowl, why can't the homeless do it now? That is the question the lawyer for three homeless men is raising in a court challenge over their arrest for drinking in a park that will be part of a designated party zone before the Super Bowl.
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/ns/news...LS&idq=/ff/story/0001/20040615/1621701747.htm

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
ahhhhh.....this makes me feel good inside (really!)

I'm glad to see the disenfrancished of our population fighting the "Man", especially through the legal system (it's more legitimate)

Last edited:

BKM

Cyburbian
Well, given the good possibility that many of the manly Superbowl Fans will be piloting a gigantic pickup truck or Stupid Useless Vehicle immediately after their game/alefest, the Superbowl fans may indeed be a GREATER threat to the public than a few soused bums :)

I know where I would feel safer.

BKM

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Actually it's kind of too bad they are not called SAVs. For Suburban Assault Vehicle.
I have a very colorful coworker who had an SAV. It was an ancient, decrepit Suburban with chipped and faded paint and taped on bumpers. His crazy (and I man CRAZY) wife/ex-wife put sugar in the gas tank. Not even an SAV can survive that :(

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The College of Architecture and Planning at Ball State had a Winnebago that they had outfitted for charettes. We used to call it the Urban Assault Vehicle ;-)

mendelman said:
ahhhhh.....this makes me feel good inside (really!)

I'm glad to see the disenfrancished of our population fighting the "Man", especially through the legal system (it's more legitimate)
I agree. Their argument is valid.

plannerkat

Cyburbian
As a resident of Jacksonville, I'm quite curious to see how this turns out. The Super Bowl "entertainment zone" has also been criticized by the pastor of a 25,000 member downtown church based on the fact that, and I quote, "you can't reason with 10,000 people drunk on rot-gut alcohol." In a city of this size, there are woefully few places to get a real drink downtown. Yep, Jacksonville is the largest small town in the U.S. :-\

BKM

Cyburbian
plannerkat said:
As a resident of Jacksonville, I'm quite curious to see how this turns out. The Super Bowl "entertainment zone" has also been criticized by the pastor of a 25,000 member downtown church based on the fact that, and I quote, "you can't reason with 10,000 people drunk on rot-gut alcohol." In a city of this size, there are woefully few places to get a real drink downtown. Yep, Jacksonville is the largest small town in the U.S. :-\
A 25,000 member church? It sounds like a militia to me :p