• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Atlanta's Berkeley Park neighborhood

jresta

Cyburbian
a lot of your pictures remind me of Shandon/Cayce/West Columbia neighborhoods in and around Columbia, SC. It's a shame in a lot of North Carolina cities these neighborhoods have succumbed to the wrecking ball.

BKM

Cyburbian
Looks a little bit like my neighborhood in Vacaville, California. Lots of bungalows and cottages.

jresta said:
a lot of your pictures remind me of Shandon/Cayce/West Columbia neighborhoods in and around Columbia, SC. It's a shame in a lot of North Carolina cities these neighborhoods have succumbed to the wrecking ball.
Despite Atlanta's reputation as having torn everything down we still have a lot of these old neighborhoods left. I plan on profiling as many of them as possible. The expressway system obliterated sections of about a dozen neighborhoods, but many survived. The oldest largely intact one is Grant Park (1883), but I could rattle off a couple of dozen sizable neighborhoods with a lot of houses built between 1880 and 1929 (West End, Inman Park, my own neighborhood of East Atlanta, Cabbagetown, Mechanicsville, Oakland City, Capitol View, and so forth). Most of these neighborhoods now have significant renovation work going on so I'm overall optimistic.

Larry

BKM said:
Looks a little bit like my neighborhood in Vacaville, California. Lots of bungalows and cottages.
A friend I grew up with through high school lives in Vacaville at this point. He'd been living in a house he bought in SF sometime in the 70's and he recently sold it and moved to Vacaville.

BKM

Cyburbian
Larry Felton Johnson said:
A friend I grew up with through high school lives in Vacaville at this point. He'd been living in a house he bought in SF sometime in the 70's and he recently sold it and moved to Vacaville.
Bet he could buy a mansion with he proceeds. :/ Although, Vacaville has become quite pricy There is a "nice" custom home in my neighborhood put on the market for over $900K-and it's not even the biggest house in the neighborhood. (Not that my shabby townhouse that needs a new roof and some other repairs would be worth a huge amount. Homeownership ain't all roses.)

Since my job is in the outer suburbs, and since I have somehow not yet won the California Lottery, Vacaville is not a bad place to live at all. I can't wait until they finish our new downtown project. I am a little disappointed by the volume of surface parking, and the architect of our new downtown library should be shot :)-or at least forced to read a good traditional urbanism primer like Unwin or City Comforts (a disappointing building, imo)