• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Attorneys?

My fellow Cyburbanites,

Are there any planning and/or real estate attorneys out there in Cyburbia. The reason that I'm asking because I'm exploring the idea of going to law school and specializing in planning and/or real estate law. I'm not content with my current job situation and a change must happen to keep what's left of my sanity. What are the job prospects like after graduating. I have a Master's in City and Regional Planning already. Any and all suggestions, comments, mindless rants, etc... will be appreciated. Thanks.

The One

Cyburbian
Law School

The University of Denver is good for Land Use Law. If you want to make money and have a 3.8+ GPA and a 170 on the LSAT you could try the U. of Colorado for Water Law..... Good Luck.....

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Since you already have your masters in planning, you may want to look at law schools that have dual degrees because they may offer you the opportunity to opt out of some classes so you can save some money. Plus, since you have worked in the field you may get a TA/GA position out of it.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
I worked in a small county in FL where our ass't county attorney used to be a planner and then went back to law school. He was later appointed as a county judge. Reader's Digest has named him as one of the worst judges in the US (he really is very lax towards criminals).

USC has some dual degree programs for planning: http://www.usc.edu/schools/sppd/programs/masters/dual/

School of Policy, Planning and Development dual degrees with:

USC Law School
Master of Public Administration/Juris Doctorate
Master of Public Policy/Juris Doctorate
Master of Real Estate Development/Juris Doctorate

I imagine there are other program out there and you just need to start surfing the internet and gathering info.

Law is not my thing but I believe that would be a pretty awesome combo. You just need to do some research and find your "niche". :-D