• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Attracting Retirees?

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I am seeking examples of small communities that have, as a matter of policy, made attracting retirees an economic development goal, and have then, in some way, acted on that goal. Any examples you can offer will be appreciated.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Elliot Lake, Ontario. Originally a major Uranium mining centre in Northern Ontario ('bout an hour west of Sudbury) tried to convert itself to a retirement community when the mines all closed.

Not sure how it's working out - the cheap housing, etc. initially attracted quite a number of retirees, but I think the isolation and lack of services may have driven some away.

I don't have a link off-hand, but I'm sure it won't be that hard to find.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am aware of a cluster of counties in northern Michigan (lower penninsula) around Traverse City that have a large retiree population. I am not sure if this was planned or just occured. I did read an article recently challenging whether retirees were a good economic development strategy. I'll try to find it and pass it on.

Cardinal

Cyburbian

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Thanks for all the help so far! I'll look into everyone's suggestions, though I do think I will skip the Strom Thurmond Institute site …__

The Traverse Bay area will be featured in a case study in the book we are writing, but while you are right in saying they have lots of retirees (checks arriving in the mailbox account for over 40% of the entire local economy!), it does not seem to be a conscious strategy. They are very much into make this a nice place to be and the money will follow.

My husband used to work from the Strom Thurmond Institute. It has absolutely nothing to do with Strom, aside from the big tribute to his life on the walls in the main hall - it's just named for him, kind of like Reagan International Airport. The Institute is actually a pretty good resource for planning and public policy.