• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Auburn University Community Planning Program/Policy Oriented track

Juanton80

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the Community Planning Program at Auburn University. It is currently unaccredited, but supposedly things are in the works for accomplishing that task within the next year.
Also, I was wondering if one is at a disadvantage for attempting to get a Planning degree where the focus is more on policy and less on design. My undergrad degree is in History, so I lack a design foundation needed by most programs (from what I have seen).

Last edited:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Juanton80 said:
I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the Community Planning Program at Auburn University. It is currently unaccredited, but supposedly things are in the works for accomplishing that task within the next year.
Also, I was wondering if one is at a disadvantage for attempting to get a Planning degree where the focus is more on policy and less on design. My undergrad degree is in History, so I lack a design foundation needed by most programs (from what I have seen).
I don't know anything about the Auburn program, but as a graduate of a policy-oriented graduate program (at the University of Iowa) I would tell you that you are not at a disadvantage compared to graduates of design-oriented programs. I say this with the caveat that it depends on what kind of planning you want to do. Obviously, if you graduate from a policy-oriented program, it would be tough to get an urban design job. If your interests run more toward policies, processes and politics, then don't hesitate to apply to policy oriented programs. There are plenty of jobs in planning for both policy types and designer types. Good luck.

Juanton80

DecaturHawk said:
I don't know anything about the Auburn program, but as a graduate of a policy-oriented graduate program (at the University of Iowa) I would tell you that you are not at a disadvantage compared to graduates of design-oriented programs. I say this with the caveat that it depends on what kind of planning you want to do. Obviously, if you graduate from a policy-oriented program, it would be tough to get an urban design job. If your interests run more toward policies, processes and politics, then don't hesitate to apply to policy oriented programs. There are plenty of jobs in planning for both policy types and designer types. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply DecaturHawk!