• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Aurora sightings...

nerudite

Cyburbian
Anyone else getting an awesome light show at night? For the past month and half Edmonton has been getting some awesome aurora shows. As a California native, I find this phenomenon absolutely amazing.

This was taken near Edmonton... but I don't think it does it justice.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Awesome

I havent seen a really good one around these parts since 1991.

Jen

Cyburbian
Good Og those colors are vibrant.

I heard from someone in the yukon recently that the lights have been strong.

I saw my first aurora borealis this past winter, and only because the local news ran a ticker tape at the bottomof Monday nite football about the lights. IT was cascading curtains of pink almost forming a cone. It was then impossible to return indoors!

The rewards of northern living!!!

Jeff

Cyburbian
Hmmm...I seem to remember the Northern Lights from college.

Oh, you're talking about the whole lights in the sky thing. Never mind :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
aurora

We used to see them in Aroostook County (Northern Maine) quite often. Once my then wife and I went to a drive in. The movie sucked but the aurora borealis were very bright so we spent the evening watching the sky, and didn't even argue. I once went to an Eric Clapton concert at Three rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh, sometime in the early '70s. I think it was the 5th of July. (On a side note, NEVER go to a concert on the 5th of July. Too many left over firecrackers and sparklers. I still have images of a thrown, burning sparkler going down my back. It didn't happen.) Anyway, the concert sucked. (Detect a pattern?) But on the way back to Ohio, while my date slept, I watched a rare (for southwest Pa.) display of Aurora. Really, I did.....I'm sure it was....I think. No, It was, and I stand by it!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: aurora

Tom R said:
We used to see them in Aroostook County (Northern Maine) quite often.
When were you in Potato County?

Presque Isle? Houlton? Mars Hill?

Wait... Loring A.F.B., right?

Tom R

Cyburbian
The County

1979 to 1984. Lived in Caribou. Worked at NMRPC in Caribou and for PI. I miss the outdoors but its too hard to make a living up there.

donk

Cyburbian
all this talk of the northern lights in my neck of the woods, and I have yet to see them here.

I am further north then PI or Cariboo.

Hints for looking?

nerudite

Cyburbian
I don't know... usually the auroras are most active/easiest to see around midnight local time (according to the various websites I've checked out). I usually see them early in the morning when I get up, because that's when the skies are clearest here.

Tom R

Cyburbian
aurora

donk said:
all this talk of the northern lights in my neck of the woods, and I have yet to see them here.

I am further north then PI or Cariboo.

Hints for looking?
They're caused by sun spots the particles from which are captured by the earth's magnetic field and I guess the ionisphere ionizes or some such. Anyway if you can get on an astronomical site you might use it as a predictor of good viewing nights. The night must be clear, something we had a lot of in Northern Maine, and get away from city lights and look up and north.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: aurora

I've got years of up-close and personal Aurora sightings.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: aurora

Dan said:
I've got years of up-close and personal Aurora sightings.

I was waiting for someone to post a Colorado pic. Thanks for not letting me down. ;)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
This is pretty embarrasing. The two Canadians (oops - sorry Nerudite) replying so far have both yet to see the Northern Lights.

jmf

Cyburbian
Canadians and the lights

I have seen them!

I lived in Labrador for a few months and saw the Northern Lights all the time. They were incredible but also a little spooky.

BTW Tranplanner I don't think I am going to make it to TO before the new year but I won't forget the ale.

donk

Cyburbian
I have seen them, just not in this location.

The funny thing is that the only place I have seen them is 45 minutes noth of TO as a child.

Where I live now, there is hardly any light pollution.

It also coul dbe that the only time I'm outside at 12:00 is when i am in the City and drinking.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Re: Canadians and the lights

jmf said:
BTW Tranplanner I don't think I am going to make it to TO before the new year but I won't forget the ale.
Awwww.....

You'll have to let me know what you want in return!

Maister

Chairman of the bored
There was some solar flare activity quite recently and I'm wondering if anyone has seen any the last few days?

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
No Northern Lights sightings from here in NW Ohio. One of my work pals lives in SE Michigan, away from the lights of cities or towns. She witnessed the NL spectacle a few years ago on a clear and cold October night. Many years ago this Bear was camped on the Lake Superior beach, NW of Paradise, MI. About 2:00 AM we witnessed an awesome Northern Lights display. Lasted a few hours. We just sat on a driftwood log, drank beer, and saluted the heavens, thanking them for the brilliant light show.

Bear