• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
When I read some of the posts, I read it in the voice associated with the current or previous avatar. Some that come to mind:

Tranplanner - Doug McKenzie (duh).
Mike D. - Vanilla Ice. Sorry Mike D, but the pimp dog thing and the cat humping avatar did it.
Big Easy King - Snoop Dogg
Dan - Ward Cleaver

There are others. Does anyone else to this?

moose

sure...

Chet has an artsy, beat poet sound
Cardinal and SAC go "cheep" and "meow"
Nerudite is something like a valley girl

I mean, I've never met any of you (that I know of), so what else have I got to go on?

donk

Cyburbian
Nerudite's is only a light valley girl, alberta is sneaking in a bit. ;)

Agree with moose on chet, that is a far more PC way of saying what i was thinking.

Huston, Biscuit, ZG the typical southern drawl.

Mike D. like a gangster in the movies.

I have not heard enough american accents to be able to figure out what a mid west one is.

H

Cyburbian
donk said:
I have not heard enough american accents to be able to figure out what a mid west one is.
Imagine a robot that talks through its nose. :)

I only do voices for the Canadian posters, where I feel compelled to put “eh” at the end of every post :-D

No one else has a sound, sorry, Down under, up north, out west, all the same.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
donk said:
Agree with moose on chet, that is a far more PC way of saying what i was thinking.
You cant just leave that dangling out there without PMing it to me!

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Dan – the Cheektowaga accent, der

El Feo – An unholy mix of Kentucky and Massachusetts

the Irish One – Classic California Dude

Gartheace – Mel Gibson screaming on a Scottish hillside

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
skeleton - Speedy Gonzalez

Mike D. - Rocky

El Guapo - Ricardo Montlebahn (sp.) That was before I found out he's not really spanish.

Alan - Michael Moore

Seabishop - James Woods

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
SkeLeton - Speedy Gonzalez
Andale andale andale!!! :-D

I never put "voices" on others' posts, unless there's specific "instructions" to do so: like the "eh?", the Aussie, the Kiwi and the 'Confederate cultural orientation' voices :p

moose

SlaveToTheGrind said:
Have you not been taught that we midwesterners do not have accents?
You're kidding, right? My entire demolition crew is from Michigan, and sometimes, I can't even understand them.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Huston: happy doggie voice

Mastiff: whispers (well, what have we seen but a large eyeball?)

BEK: A manly voice, with a smile

PG: A little bit of a flirt

The Irish One

El Guapo has a low toned growl

Mike D. Doesn't have a Philly accent

the Irish One – Classic California Dude
That is confirmed! Though I wish it wasn't true. It's not like Jeff Spicoli.

JordanB Sort of pissed off higher pitch

Chet has an artsy, beat poet sound
I agree.

I'll come back for other observations.

donk

Cyburbian
Mike D posted
Tranplanner .... Pick a hockey player, any one, eh?
In my best Don Cherry voice

"As long as its not a Ruski, a Fin or a Swede"

Then again, if Don is right those guys are not real hockey players.

I never thought about putting voices on the posts, but now it's stuck in my mind. For those I haven't met......

Anyone from Minn. sounds just like the characters from "Fargo," but not as exaggerated.

Budgie - Mr. Van Driesson from "Beavis and Butthead" - "....mm'kay?"

el Guapo - Mr. Buzzcut from "Beavis and Butthead" when he's on a rant

Downtown - Quinn Morgendorffer from "Daria"

Mike D. - Jamie Kennedy when he's in "hip hop" character, i.e., "Malibu's Most Wanted"

Tranplanner - dunno why a french accent comes to mind

PG - low and husky like Demi Moore but with just a bit of southern twang (can get the girl out of 'Bama but can't get the 'Bama out of the girl)

Gotta think about the rest......................;)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
giggles

um well my voice...Im told its deep and smokey (but ive never smoked) but there is no southern twang if anything get me upset and i sound slightly upstate NY (i have never been there btw)

My parents made sure i had no accent at all lest i be judged :)

Im not sure my mind adds voices where I have never met the person but I do fill Dans voice in to his posts having met him, and now Trail Nazi too!

biscuit

Cyburbian
Sometimes I find myself putting voices to a few of my fellow Cyburbanites. But I'd never really thought about it until this thread.

Planderella said:
Downtown - Quinn Morgendorffer from "Daria"
Right on

PG - low and husky like Demi Moore but with just a bit of southern twang (can get the girl out of 'Bama but can't get the 'Bama out of the girl)
I've always thought of Zoning Goddess has having the smokey southern voice.

Planner Girl - A less southern Andi McDowell.

Donk - Super exagerated Canadian accent. I don't know why

Planderella - Pam Grier

Chet - I think you guys have it with the beatnick voice

Everyone from Michigan - You all sound like my LP relatives. And sometimes I can hardly understand you.;)

Huston - Like every other North Georgia redneck ;)

NH PLanner & Maine Man - Super thick New England accent.

Belle - With a Lowcountry drawl

BEK - I had a cajun neighbor when I was young and you sound like a mix between him and Snoop Dogg.

There are others, I just have to think a little more about them.

Last edited:

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
biscuit said:
NH PLanner & Maine Man - Super thick New England accent.
LOL....I love that generalization about New Englanders. :)

I have a bit of my NE accent....but it was severely muted by my time spent in the midwest in college.....I'm a bit of a hybrid now of NH and midwest.....strange mix at that....

El Feo

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
El Feo – An unholy mix of Kentucky and Massachusetts
Look, bo', and all the rest'n y'all that think that - I just have to say that's a wicked pissah. Lawd have mercy, wheahd ya get that notion?

donk

Cyburbian
Compared to others in my office and those I deal with, my accent is not too pronounced.

When I go to Upper Canada they notice my mild maritime accent and speech patterns.

Sorry to disappoint, I rarely ever say eh.

NHP had no discenible accent, he almost sounded Canadian.

SGB

Cyburbian
El Feo said:
Look, bo', and all the rest'n y'all that think that - I just have to say that's a wicked pissah. Lawd have mercy, wheahd ya get that notion?
OMG! Did anyone else just hear this guy?

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
donk said:
NHP had no discenible accent, he almost sounded Canadian.
Except for the long o's (ie: project: me - praw-ject, donk - pro-ject) I might agree with you. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
In my mind...

I have Chet sounding just like Melissa Ethridge... "climb in to my window..."
(sorry Dude)

I have Planderella as a light and brezzy Macy Gray type voice.

Giff - well he likely sounds just like me.

Repo Man - The "O" Faced guy from Office Space.

Mike D. Well, he's the hoarse whisperer. ;)

Irish as a young Jerry Garcia

Tranplanner a kindly Sonny Bono type voice with some Eh's he doesn't even notice.

nerudite - just like my sister.

I strongly suspect that El Guapo has a Military accent.

There really is such a thing. It comes from the fact that we all move around so much, etc. Military bases are highly multi-cultural. You eventually lose the worst of any regional accent you may have started with -- and I didn't start with one because dad is a Hoosier who spent 26 1/2 years in the army, my mom is German and I grew up correcting her English, and I lived in the Deep South (where no one really considered me Southern). I had to move to Washington state to be labeled as someone who sounded Southern.

When I was younger, I got told a lot "That's an interesting accent. But I can't place it...."

boiker

Cyburbian
donk said:
I apparently have a moderate chicago flavor midwest accent. My cousin from "are" izonah (as she says it) reminded me this repeatedly this week.

I told her.. I only say my "A's" hard so you'll be sure to understand me.

besides.. it's "AIR"izona. :)

zman

Cyburbian
From the Pavement song (sould help you with my avatar):

"And what about the vioce of Geddy Lee...
How did it get so high...
I wonder if he speaks like an ordinary guy..."

"I know him, and he does."

Of course you could presume that I sing my posts in a high Canadian voice....

... oh and Rush Rules!!!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
[ot]
zmanPLAN said:
... oh and Rush Rules!!!
Unless it is Rush circa 1984-1990......Hold Your Fire....bad..... :-o ;)[/ot]

I see boiker's avatar as sounding just like him....they look eerily the same.

Dan's avatar reminds me of the voices from adults in the Ren & Stimpy cartoons...kinda stentorian.

With The One's, I hear the Man in Black after a three day bender.

zman

Cyburbian
mendelman said:
Unless it is Rush circa 1984-1990......Hold Your Fire....bad..... :-o ;)

Whoa, you're messing with something Close(r) to my Heart ;-) . I love all of it, and some of my favorite tunes are from that period.

But I understand the stance of some on Rush from the 80s. It is an acquired taste.

Hold Your Fire might be my favorite album.

Anyways, sorry to lose focus mods.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Planderella said:
With all of the new Cyburbians around, I thought this would be a good thread to resurrect. :h:
Glad you did. I actually was thinking about starting a thread along these lines and didn't know it had already been done and am not sure I woulda caught it on it search in any event.
I think avatars not only imply a certain 'voice' but can also suggest something about personality or character in a more general sense. For instance, I associate Tranplanner (in a vague sorta way) as being that lumberjack in a Monty Python skit - screams Canadian. Chet's curent avatar gives me the willies and perhaps subconsciously prompts me to internally be more inclined to disagree with what he says. Perhaps the strongest visual association I carry mentally is our resident bandito el Guapo - what an outlaw! Nerudite, is a cutie-pie and I now can't recall if it was Plannergirl or if it wasDowntown who had the brown haired girl with the light blue blouse and the arms crossed that always implied a certain seriousness of character. I don't see many of her posts, but ecofem sounds like a timid, soft spoken creature. Speaking of timid and soft spoken, I cannot bring myself to think of MZ as a sexpot. Budgie will always be this swarthy gruff spoken fellow in my mind (despite his recent attempts to adopt a suave and sophisticated image). I sincerely believe BKM's avatar (Ed) really does evoke some of the strangeness (apparent goth sympathies) I suspect he evokes in real life (I mean that in the best way possible ;) ) And yes, Sister Celeste has a strong Indian accent. Gosh, come to think of it, almost anyone who keeps their avatar for any length of time eventually comes to develop a 'character' in my mind. Although the non-anthropomorphic avatars (like Boiker, Gedunker, Plannerbyday) tend to do so far less.
Edit, I see Boiker now has a person on his avatar but I still picture the block people - sorry.

Last edited:
Maister said:
Speaking of timid and soft spoken, I cannot bring myself to think of MZ as a sexpot.
roflol :)
Well, I'm not. I'm a Serious Intellectual. But, one of these days, when being a Serious Intellectual pays off ;-) , I will be wealthy enough to have a Kept Boy or two and then I won't have to try to convince other Serious Intellectuals to find me sexy. :p

The One

Cyburbian
Great Thread

Here Goes:

Z-Man- Cool Drummer or Lumberjack sounding.... :-D
Maister- On Edge Professor Type
MZ- Exact opposite of Avatar (remember this is for the voice)
EG- Exact same as avatar
Tranplanner- Should give his avatar to Z-man :-D
Boiker- Elwood Blues
H- Upper Crust Type (Judge Snells son from Caddyshack) ;-)
Chet- Unstable Clint Eastwood Type
Seabishop- Rick Moranis (playing a geeky role)
Nerudite- El Woods of Legally Blonde
Skeleton- Mickey Rourke(ish)
Joe Illif- Matt McConneghe? (spelling?)
Planner Girl- Clarice Starling (Silence of the Lambs)
Biscuit- No accent, no voice, no nothing.....does biscuit exist?? :-c :p :cool: ;-) :-D
NH Planner- Upper crust Carry Elwes Type.....
Donk- Donk or Dink from Crocodile Dundee

Remember this is just for fun...... :p ;)

The One said:
MZ- Exact opposite of Avatar (remember this is for the voice)
I am not offended, I just don't have any idea what you mean. Can you get a wav file of that? ;)

Seriously, I don't offend too easily. What do you mean?

And Biscuit has a voice: Southern perpetual teenager type. :-D

PS: that avatar is still there in part because I changed computers. I have been planning to change it but I went to the APA conference and was too busy to fuss with it.

boiker

Cyburbian
I don't assign voices to the posts, but I do feel disenchanted when avatars or screennames are changed.

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
boiker said:
I don't assign voices to the posts, but I do feel disenchanted when avatars or screennames are changed.
Ditto that. Its even odder for me if someone picks up an avatar someone else had used for a length of time...

I don't know about voices, but I think the avatars have something to do with your personalities. For instance, I associate Maister with a liberal professor type because that's what his avatar portrays. On the other hand, I wish I was as smooth as Venus Fly-Trap.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Jaxspra said:
Ditto that. Its even odder for me if someone picks up an avatar someone else had used for a length of time...
Reference to Big Red and myself? :(

The One

Cyburbian
Hmmm....

Michele Zone said:
I am not offended, I just don't have any idea what you mean. Can you get a wav file of that? ;)

Seriously, I don't offend too easily. What do you mean?

And Biscuit has a voice: Southern perpetual teenager type. :-D

PS: that avatar is still there in part because I changed computers. I have been planning to change it but I went to the APA conference and was too busy to fuss with it.
I'll start thinking about a wav file.....try this: Non sultry voice....maybe a bit of nasalness and higher pitched NIMBY(ish) sounding..... ;-) :-D I'm not saying your a whiner, I'm just inferring it :-D ;) (he he he....just having a bit of fun at your avatars expense ;) )

By the way, I'd love to get a wav file of Judge Snells son on Caddyshack saying "I want one of those, two of those, one of those, three of those...." for H ;-)

Budgie

Cyburbian
Budgie's Permanent Avatar Contest - AIB Avatar Voices

Boiker and Jaxspra recently lamented that changing of avatars and usernames. I have been guilty of changing my avatar. I've had at least 4 (Dostoyevsky, Rasputin, Bundie and Maister Clone) this past year. Alright, here is your chance to pick Budgie's permanent avatar. Come on bring your best and I shall choose. There is a prize for the winner. Only three entries per Cyburbian, no purchase necessary, void in Chile (sorry Skelly).

The One said:
I'll start thinking about a wav file.....try this: Non sultry voice....maybe a bit of nasalness and higher pitched NIMBY(ish) sounding..... ;-) :-D I'm not saying your a whiner, I'm just inferring it :-D ;) (he he he....just having a bit of fun at your avatars expense ;) )
roflol.
That so does not fit with what folks who have actually heard my voice have told me. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
The One said:
Nerudite- El Woods of Legally Blonde
;)
LOL... too funny. I think I'd fall more into the California granola girl type (like Janice from the Muppets... but not *that bad* of course) than the Legally Blonde girl.

donk

Cyburbian
When I first joined, all of my avatars were donkey related. As time has passed I've used RAH, Jello Biafra, Buddy Bradley, The Who, Maus, Cerebus, a CAT scan of a depressed brain and probably a few more I can't remember. The current TARDIS, caught my fancy and reflects the changes I am going through. When I come out the otherside who knows what I'll be. I kind of like switching things up once in a while.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Now that the avatars are gone, suddenly everyone sounds like Steven Hawkings and has a mechanical two-dimensional quality to their 'voice' (anyone remember the ceylons on the original 'Battlestar Galactica'?)

Last edited:

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Maister said:
Now that the avatars are gone, suddenly everyone sounds like Steven Hawkings and has a mechanical two-dimensional quality to their 'voice' (anyone remember the ceylons on the original 'Battlestar Galactica'?)
[monotone electronic voice] You need to get out of your cubicle more. [/monotone electronic voice]