• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

nerudite

Cyburbian

Okay... does anyone have any tips for making avatars with photoshop? I just can't seem to get my pics to be within the acceptable avatar size, and when I do they end up looking cruddy. How do you get the file size small without making the pics look grainy?

Last edited:

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Avatar limits...Photoshop frustration

I'm trying to get a nice halloween avatar, and have a couple of my favorite images selected

or

My problem: getting it down to the limits on avatar size without making the image so low quality that it's too blurry to see it....

Any photoshop suggestions from the other "pros" out there?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Avatar limits...Photoshop frustration

Creative cropping. Save the detail - meet the size requirements.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Live from Kansas City

The second icon would reduce nicely.

1) If it's a GIF or 8-bit PNG, convert the image from indexed color to RGB. This is a must if you don't want the reduced image have a pixellated appearance.

2) Reduce the size; maximum of 80 pixels in any direction.

3) Don't just save; do a "save for Web." A new large window will pop up. There, you can preview in real time what the saved image will look like as a 30% quality JPG, 60% quality JPG, 32 color GIF, 64 color PNG, or any other setting. You'll also get the final file size. Remember to keep it under 3K! Most of the stock Cyburbia avatars are under 2.5K.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Well...works good enough for me...still a bit pixelated...but better than before. Thanks Dan.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I have an old version of photoshop, and I can't find that save for web feature... so maybe that's why this is so difficult. Thanks for the tips though Dan. :)

Jen

Cyburbian
Old version here too I guess.
What about emailing my pic to an administrator? What say ye Dan? El Guapo?

edacaf

just wanna say thank you for providing the info on how to make a "successful avatar" :D

i was getting frustrated until i found this forum!!! yay... thanks a lot Dan :)

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Dumb question.... I looke around in the control pannel and couldn't find where to change/set avatars. Where the heck is it?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Doohickie said:
Dumb question.... I looke around in the control pannel and couldn't find where to change/set avatars. Where the heck is it?
Sorry, Doohickie, but you'll have to wait until you've got 25 posts under your belt.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Nevermind.... I just saw another thread that says you need 25 posts. Excuse me while I post whore my way to 25.:D

Dan... did you get my email in response to your mass emailing? I sent it yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator: