• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

"Average Jane?"

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The NBC reality show Average Joe -- which features a number of average-looking guys competing for the love of a hottie -- is a refreshing change from TV-land prettyness. What if the genders were reversed? What if twenty average Janes, some "big beautiful women", or even some haggard, hard-ridden and wet-stored Appalachian gals, were competing for the love of a gorgeous hunk? Would any network have the huevos to try that? How could they convince the viewers that such a guy could envision happiness with such a woman? Who would watch it?

Average Jane

Well, I'd watch it and I'm an average bloke!

There's something so natural and fresh about the "Average Jane".

I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite. I can't confirm the name of the show or whether this is indeed true, but if it were, I would expect that the contestants have a good case for civil action against the show producers.

H

Cyburbian
Re: Average Jane

Red Right Hand said:
I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite.
Why do people keep going on these things? Where the heck is Pavlov when you need him?

donk

Cyburbian

Red Right Hand said:
Well, I'd watch it and I'm an average bloke!

I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite.
I know there is a picture/thread floating around here someplace on this item, I just can't find it.

martini

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Unnattractive women are not allowed on TV.
Uhhh, Whoopie Goldberg. Rosanne Barr. Cokie Roberts. Your average guest on Jerry Springer. The list can go longer if you wish. :)

Seabishop

Cyburbian
martini said:
Uhhh, Whoopie Goldberg. Rosanne Barr. Cokie Roberts. Your average guest on Jerry Springer. The list can go longer if you wish. :)
Well, yeah, there are some exceptions - especially established comedians. I'm getting at the sitcom/drama series women who are thin and pretty but married to fat, flannel guys who can't do anything right. There would be no show if the King of Queens was married to a woman of equal attractiveness.

Something bothers me about the general trend toward the beautiful people especially in the realm of serious tv. It seems like there are way too many "guest experts" on national news shows who you know were chosen because they are attractive as business analysts go. Like the 30 year old professional hottie commenting on CNN is the most experienced analysist out there. Same applies to hunky businessmen I suppose.

otterpop

Cyburbian
martini said:
I think you are being a little hard on Cokie. Sure, she is a little past her prime, but still an attractive mature woman.

ludes98

Cyburbian

Red Right Hand said:
I heard recently that a British reality TV show did much the same thing but the guys were vying for one girl who was actually a transvestite. I can't confirm the name of the show or whether this is indeed true, but if it were, I would expect that the contestants have a good case for civil action against the show producers.
Ask and ye shall receive. We did this thread a little while ago on the program and lawsuit.

I don't watch so called "reality TV". I don't watch enough TV to waste it watching a contrived piece of crap.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
BBW's

And why, exactly, can they get away with that term? I mean, if you're a fat woman, you're automatically in the BBW club?

How about BUW's? Those big ugly women? And there's, let see... "queen sized" and "plus sized"... but no, "I could play defensive end for the Rams sized"!

otterpop

Cyburbian
Re: BBW's

Mastiff said:
How about BUW's? Those big ugly women? And there's, let see... "queen sized" and "plus sized"... but no, "I could play defensive end for the Rams sized"!
I recently heard a big woman described as such: "I had to hire a rodeo clown to distract her while I brought in the groceries." Larry the Cable Guy, from "The Blue Collar Comedy Tour". Very un-PC, but funny.