• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Baby bin Laden

Is Germany right to try to ban a couple naming their child Osama bin Laden?

• Yes - it is offensive

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • No - it is parental choice

Votes: 17 60.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just curious to see what the Cyburbanites reaction is to this article and poll from CNN.com.

BERLIN, Germany -- A Turkish couple living in Germany who want to call their child Osama bin Laden have been refused permission by German officials but are to appeal to a judge.

Names can only be registered in Germany if they fulfil certain criteria. A name must clearly identify the child's gender and must not ridicule the child or be offensive.

"Hitler" is banned as a name for that reason.

Registrations officials in Cologne, where the young couple live, rejected the name because it would not be allowed in Turkey, a spokeswoman for the magistrates court now dealing with the case said on Thursday.

"Another reason was the obvious association of the name with the terror attacks of September 11," she said.

The German rules on babies' names also say that non-German parents must give their children names that are acceptable in their home country.

However, registration officials do not have the power to ban the couple from using the name of the al Qaeda leader for their child and the case has been referred to a judge.

The parents, both under 30, have been asked to make a statement to the judge, the spokeswoman said.

She declined to comment on whether the couple had other children and what their names were.

The United States blames al Qaeda and its leader, Saudi-born bin Laden, for the September 11 attacks.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Actually, I find Moon Unit and Dweezel more rediculous.

It just makes me sad that people don't have natural sense in naming their children. My mom (elem. school librarian) has actually had a little girl come in named Female - pronounced "Feh-molly". The mother didn't understand the form she was filling out when she gave birth. sigh.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
KMateja said:
It just makes me sad that people don't have natural sense in naming their children. My mom (elem. school librarian) has actually had a little girl come in named Female - pronounced "Feh-molly". The mother didn't understand the form she was filling out when she gave birth. sigh.
Are you SURE that its not an urban myth? Our GIS Coordinator's husband is a teacher, and she said the same thing happened in his class a few years ago.

Tom R

Cyburbian
name

This one is true. I've seen the name on official county documents - a woman with the first name of Gentilia". Poor girl.
My parents also knew a woman named Mary who married a man with the last name of Christmas. HO HO HO

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
No offense to my practicing Mormon friends, but inner city moms don't have the lock on strange baby names. Witness The Utah Baby Namer, which claims to provide "online help for parents looking for that distinctive name that says 'I'm a Utah Mormon!'". A quote from the Herald Journal in Logan ...

The most obvious Utah names come from the church’s volume of scriptures, the Book of Mormon: Nephi, Mahonri, Liahona and Alma.

Many others have a French sounding prefix, Cari Clark said, such as La, Le, Ne and Va: LaPriel, LaVerd, LeMoyn and Latrina - to name a few.

Common are combinations of parent names. Blend John and Janet to get Jonette. Combine Merle and Lynn to get Merlin. Or combine any two names of either gender to get such monikers as Brandilynn and Caroldean.

Some handles are so idiosyncratic they have to be Utah Mormon: Welcome Exile, Justa Cowgirl and Tabernacle. Another child was named after an obscure fantasy movie character: Alura Dannen.

One popular practice is to feminize the father's name: change Bob into Bobette, Rex into Rexanne, or Maurice into Mauricette.

A few parents take a surname and transform it into a first name: Bartell, Burns, Gren, Houser and Slaughter.

Many names have apostrophes, and Cari Clark wonders how these people fill out test or government forms: D'Elise, D'Bora, M'Lu and J'net.

While naming a child after a state is common, Dakota, Arizona, Nevada, and even Utah, more fascinating are the deviations: Idahana, Utahna and Wyoma.

Utah may also corner the market on odd names for towns. Just look at this top 10 list of town names that could be mistaken for breakfast cereals: Kanosh, Genola, Neola, Aneth, Clover, Goshen, Koosharem, Manila, Scipio and Tabiona.

In the Culturally Southern Oriented Town Next Door, there's folks with names like JB and JR. They don't mean anything; the initials are the names. You see a lot of toddlers and young children named after NASCAR drivers, too.

In New Mexico, many young Hispanic women had very dated Anglo names, like what you might encounter in a nursing home elsewhere. It's a bit disconcerting, meeting a hot 22 year old Latina babe named Ethel, Agnes or Ester.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
A little history on yours truly ....

My first name is that of my Mom father; the middle name is that of my Dad's father. The middle name is spelled in the European manner, so it's often botched (i.e. Anglicized) on official documents. My first, middle and last names each have six letters ...

Hmmmm .....

My birth name is completely different. My first name belonged to one of my birth mother's brothers; the middle name was my birth father's first name. If I wasn't given up for adoption, I'd eventually have an Italian last name, even though I'm only 25% Italian, genetically speaking.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
In Germany, you can't just make up any name you want. You have to prove to the government that it is a real name that is used in a real county.

A German collegue wanted to name his daughter after a Somalian woman he knew. The German government initially refused because it didn't recognize Somalia as a real country. He argued that this Somalian woman was living in Germany with the name. Eventually the government gave in.

Although it would be nice to be rid of some ridiculous made up names, I appreciate the freedom of being able to select a childs name.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Seems it's official now

I just read AP - Germany has refused to allow it.

Jeff

Cyburbian
We only need one Osama Bin Laden in this world, and hopefully soon enough he'll be gone.

boiker

Cyburbian
KMateja said:
That happened at a local hospital near me. The Hispanic woman didn't understand english and she thought the hospital named her child for her. hence, Feh-molly.

Dan said:
My first, middle and last names each have six letters ...

Hmmmm .....

My first, middle and last names also each have six letters! I discovered this in the eighth grade when I was preparing for confirmation. I was looking for a confirmation name that sounded good with mine. I ended up choosing Theresa but spelled it without the "h" - Teresa. I was quite superstitious back in those days of catholic school. LOL

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ever notice that there are very few Americans named "Ian?" Well, until recently ... it's now the 86th most popular male baby name in the US.

Up until about 10 years ago, it seemed like women's names had less longevity than men's names. Women's popular names were more subject to naming trends, so they sound dated after a decade or so, and old-fashioned after a couple of generations.

Encounter any babies named "Jennifer" lately? When I was living in Denver, it was something of a running joke among my friends that I had dates with a lot of Jens ... after 12, I lost count. To my ears, it sounds normal, but to Generation Y it probably registers like "Linda" does to my Generation X mindset. Jennifer was #19 in 1960, #1 in 1970, and #2 in 1980; it's #25 now. Linda was #2 in 1950; #63 in 1970, and #356 now.

Men's names seemed more timeless, with fewer examples of names that sound dated. In recent years, though, it seems as if baby boys are increasingly given fashionable names that don't have a timeless appeal. In 2060, will Jacob, Zackary, Sebastian, Jarred, Cameron, Ethan and Caleb evoke the same reaction as Elmer and Percy now?

I'd love to find a breakdown by region. Buffalo is overflowing with middle-aged Joannes (#941 in 2001, #84 in 1950, #56 in 1940). Most Italian-Americans in Buffalo, no matter how old or young, have traditional names ... Vito, Angelo, Guido, Carmine, Maria, Mary, Carmella, etc.

"Adolph" is the 642nd most common first name for males in the United States.

el Guapo

Capitalist
As God is my witness

I once met two twin baby girls named Camry and Cellica. The mom was a bit wacked.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
And my neice goes to school with a girl named Diamante. UGG

Habanero

Cyburbian
No joke

A second cousin of mine was named Sativa Sunshine..

all three of them (second cousins from that side) have changed their names.. now they are Rejeshi, Arjuna, and Krishna..

My sister's is Harvest, and we've got a Geordie and Jacob.. and mine, well, my parents named me Ashley... normal and plain. I like it though, it works.

Dan said:
Buffalo is overflowing with middle-aged Joannes (#941 in 2001, #84 in 1950, #56 in 1940).
LOL. On both Rob's parents side from Buffalo we have Aunt Joanies! Susan was another popular one.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: No joke

Texas Planner -
all three of them (second cousins from that side) have changed their names.. now they are Rejeshi, Arjuna, and Krishna...
You have 3/4 of the origianl cast of the Bhagwad Gita - All you need now is a thumpin' Hindi soundtrack!

dmvallie

Cyburbian
back to original question

Personally I would be annoyed that the government was interfering in a parents naming of a child. The U.S. does have a law that requires it to be letters though, and no numbers, not that I know why anyone would want to use numbers. BUT I am very glad that Germany said no way on Osama bin Laden. Those parents were not thinking of their child's best interest.

Bucky alum

My moms a teacher

There is a family of three kids all of whom she has had.

Last name: Shore(s)

First names: Rocky (m)
Sandy (f)
Pebble (f)

Sick sick parents!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: back to original question

dmvallie said:
Personally I would be annoyed that the government was interfering in a parents naming of a child. BUT I am very glad that Germany said no way on Osama bin Laden. Those parents were not thinking of their child's best interest.
I always ask myself "Guap baby, what would Hillary do here?"

I do this because I need a government employee or agency to guide and protect me from myself. Even my fellow Republicans could benefit. Then they too would become progressive beings that seek government assistance with all matters of personal issues.

After not a few ass kickings the kid would have eventually petitioned the court for a name change. Or if he went back to Turkey he could make a fine living opening supermarkets and MCing the moslem league camel games.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: My moms a teacher

Bucky alum said:
There is a family of three kids all of whom she has had.

Last name: Shore(s)

First names: Rocky (m)
Sandy (f)
Pebble (f)

Sick sick parents!
No Pauly?

Tom R

Cyburbian
name game

I knew people in Maine with the last name of Dee. They named their first son Ellis.

Jen

Cyburbian
What did I download?

Nifty!

I like the pulsating hip hop muezzin wails.

good time elapses too, Just what are they singing about though?

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Having thought about the 'bin Laden' thing - what kind of idiout calls their kid 'son of Laden' (whoever Laden is). Osama would make more sense...

In our family, the worst 'joke' name is John Thomas. Unfortunately, it's pretty common. And Joanne is the feminine of John...

dmvallie

Cyburbian
Re: Re: back to original question

I do this because I need a government employee or agency to guide and protect me from myself

I think a very large number of people would find the name offensive, although that would not give them the right to determine whether or not the parents can give that name. As I first posted, I dont't think gov't should have that right BUT I still think the parents are idiots

Homer Simpson just got mad at former pres George Bush for taking away his right to raise a smart mouthed etc. kid! (he spanked Bart)

Does anyone know if their have been other Osama bin Ladens or if the name means something special (besides a fanatic)?

Plannergirl: yes K-ville. I am in my last year at UNCG.[

Tom R

Cyburbian
JT

Journeymouse said:
Having thought about the 'bin Laden' thing - what kind of idiout calls their kid 'son of Laden' (whoever Laden is). Osama would make more sense...

In our family, the worst 'joke' name is John Thomas. Unfortunately, it's pretty common. And Joanne is the feminine of John...
You gonna let us in on the "John Thomas" joke?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re: JT

Tom R said:
You gonna let us in on the "John Thomas" joke?
It's what many British men name their ... uhh, appendages. A US equivalent might be "Johnson." A search on Google reveals that the term derives from the name the leading man in the D.H. Lawrence novel Lady Chatterley's Lover gave to his.

The ultimate name ... John Thomas Cockburn, of Bishop's Head.

Re: Re: JT

Dan said:

It's what many British men name their ... uhh, appendages. A US equivalent might be "Johnson." A search on Google reveals that the term derives from the name the leading man in the D.H. Lawrence novel Lady Chatterley's Lover gave to his.

That sounds like another thread topic.....What's your favorite BP's name??;)

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: JT

Dan said:

I wonder if my grandfather and my uncle knew about this (both JTs). I'm only half of one (Thomas). That explains a lot.

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: JT

Planderella said:

That sounds like another thread topic.....What's your favorite BP's name??;)
Do you REALLY want to start this?

donk

Cyburbian
On a related note for names

Real popular ones in Newfoundland right now

Buddy bin fightin'
Buddy bin drinkin'

they can't find Buddy Bin Workin'

Status
Not open for further replies.