• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Back from England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Posted by Earl Finkler on July 28, 2001 at 21:44:19:

Hi all--
We just got back from three great weeks in England----London and the great Cornwall area.
People friendly and very helpful everywhere and
wonderful hiking trails along the coast---virtally litter free!!
Narrow roads in rural areas, but no road rage--
just courtesy. Wish we had more of that here.
I can't wait to get back. Fell in love with the country.
As Perry said earlier, we are all a bit British, with our heritage in the this country. Chris and I spent considerable time in London and village libraries, using internet, but also reading up on local and national history of the area. I read some very interesting personal accounts of the Battle of Britain in 1941 when the Germans were bombing the area.
Cheerio everyone!
Earl

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Posted by Perry Norton on July 29, 2001 at 16:59:19:

In response to: Back from England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 posted by Earl Finkler on July 28, 2001 at 21:44:19:

Welcome home, pal. Glad you had a great time. As you
can tell we had a quiet couple of weeks here; and I
expect I'll be absent a bit myself - got family coming
for a week's visit. Did you enjoy the train, and the
double decker bus, and Herods, and fish-n-chips?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Posted by Earl Finkler on July 29, 2001 at 19:39:21:

In response to: Re: Back from England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 posted by Perry Norton on July 29, 2001 at 16:59:19:

We loved the public transit in England ---trains, subways (called the tube) and especially the #11 double decker bus that runs thru London and goes by all the historic sites ----Parliament, Westminster Abbey, The changing of the guard, etc. We took it a number of times and sat at the top in the front row, with two large windows in front of us.
The first time, we were fortunate to sit next to a local man who happens to do walking tours. He gave us a free explanation of each site as we passed it on the bus.
Wonderful, wonderful. There are also double-decker busses in the rural areas. How they can pass other vehicles on those narrow country roads, I still wonder.
However, we saw only courtesy on even the most narrow roads ---and absolutely no road rage. Something for transit planners in the U.S. to take a close look at.
(not too close on a narrow road though)
Cheerio
Earl

biha

Cyburbian
UK Exchange

Several years ago I participated in the North American / United Kingdom Countryside Exchange, sponsored on this side of the Pond by the Glynwood Center. Spent a week in Scotland developing a comprhensive plan for a cluster of small villages on the North Sea. Made permanent friendships -- went back to the villages on holiday with my wife last year, and last month one of the UK planners on the exchange came by our house in Connecticut with his wife. I'd recommend the Exchange to anyone whose curious about how planning is done abroad.

Earl Finkler

Cyburbian
Exchange to England and Scotland

Hi--
sorry this is so late. I was out of touch with this board for a while.
Could you give me a little more info about the Exchange you worked on, and how I could get in touch with them?
Sounds like a wonderful way to get to know a part of the U.K. and its wonderful people.
Thanks for posting and hope you have a nice Spring.
Earl Finkler