• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Bad Example of Subdivision Grading

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
A friend (and soon to be member I hope) passed these pics along to me - he has no idea when and where they were taken. Definitely North American though. I can only hope they don't get any snow...

19Homes-1-med.jpg 19Homes-2-med.jpg
19Homes-3-med.jpg

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Wow that is pretty bad. You'd need a monster truck to drive up some of those, do to the slope degree. I think a car might get stuck. Whose the idiot that planned this development (and might as well throw in the buyer)?

SGB

Cyburbian
Let me guess....

That unit is probably the one with the handicapped accessible interior design, right?

;)

donk

Cyburbian
I got a copy of these from a friend.

Must be in Southern Ontario someplace.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:
I got a copy of these from a friend.

I'm thinking so too...the landscape looks eerily familiar. According to the person who passed the pics on to me, the soil colour is characteristic of the Hamilton/Burlington area. I didn't know Jeff did work on this side of the border ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
donk said:
Oh, then that must be the built in bunny ski/boarding slope. The tow rope is to be installed shortly....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ho ... ly ... sheet. Those driveways are useless for any vehicle with a clearance less than a Hummer. How did they pour and finish the slabs?

My guess, looking at the vegetation, soil, topography and architecture, is suburban Atlanta.

I don't think it's Southern Ontario. The density looks too low, the soils don't look right (too red), the architecture is a bit off (no quoins), and no builder in their right mind would build such a grade, knowing that buyers know the driveway would be useless during the winter. Can't plow or shovel it, much less drive up it when it's coated in snow or ice.

I did lot grading inspections as part of my role as planning director for an Orlando suburb. I enforced a curve requirement, to ensure that vehicles could actually park in the driveway, and that car bottoms wouldn't scrape the driveway. We made a few builders tear out driveways after they mistakenly poured before getting the base grade inspected. The finshed driveways were too steep, so in went the jackhammers.

Here's a brochure I wrote; look at page 7.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Can't believe someone designed and then actually built those launch ramps!

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
I guess the developer must ride the short bus....:p
With that slope it's far more bright to make an underground garage that's at the same level than the street...

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
That was too funny
had to share it with others in my office
who were then LOL!

martini

Cyburbian
I can just see it now....little Suzy/Bobby 16 year old, first day out with the new license and they pull up to the drive way. Punch the button to open the garage door, wait for it to open, then GUN the car up the drive. Only the gun it a little too much and end up in the kitchen!

I'd love to see the dimwit that 1)approved it, 2) built it, and 3)actually bought it. I bet the collective IQ won't top 100. These jokers actually have a job, and I can't find a thing. Wonders will never cease!

Queen B

Cyburbian
Rumpy, that is what I was thinking, flood area.
But still no reason for that type of stupidity.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
There is no way a car can get up the last drive, the slope is too much from the flat drive apron.

el Guapo

Capitalist
WTH?

Is it me, or do these two homes scream their need for a basement front-facing garage? That would have been a "suburbia cookie-cutter home" acceptable solution, and it would fit the grade.

Here is the sequence of events as I imagine it...

Developer, "I can build this here same floorplan on any site! I bought these at the county fair six years ago and I ain't never had no complaints."

Builder "Wilbur, ma said you ain't supposed to drink with that there ackel bra-ce-lete on."

Cletus, "You ain't gotta hair, Wilbur. Taint no way you can build over yon lots. Hundered cash says ya ain't gotta hair."

...Six weeks later...
Realtor, "These homes have the latest self cleaning driveway"

Home Buyer's wife "I don't care if the next door neighbor went to Clemson too, we need to keep looking."

Home Buyer Male, "We'll take it! It has to be a good deal cause it is so screwed up. We'll never need to sell it. I'm gonna park the bass boat on this side-skirt, when I get one. Please honey....Pleeeeeeeese."

...Two weeks later...
Moving Van Guy to the Moving Van Truck Driver, "Dude, this thang got a Hemi?"

Neighbor to the east, "At least no one will being playing basket ball in the drive way until 10:00 pm"

...Late October....
Cross street neighbor, "Honey, park your old Accord across the street from the new neighbors. It is supposed to ice up tonight, and I feel like a new Honda is just one or two trips down their new driveway away."

Trick-or-Treaters, "Screw these two houses..."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Leaving the house during the winter

Signs at the top of the driveway

EG got me thinking ... what about moving in? There are no stairs to the front door.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
WOW

Those are insane. I showed them to a LA here in the office who worked in Georgia and Alabama and he says she has seen stuff like this down there but not to this extreme.

WOW

Typical of new development no walks leading from the sidewalk to the front door, if so they would need an escalator or the rope tow already suggested.

Rem

Cyburbian
Anyone notice that the quality of the soil erosion control devices on these sites is right up there with the quality of the driveway design?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
HEY PRUDENCE! Thats in Missouri for sure! Carlos T. approved them! LOLOL

JNL

Cyburbian
Insane!

What soil erosion control devices?? Would that be the pretty rock garden you be talking 'bout?

jlong

I live in Northwest Arkansasand yes it does snow. I was sent the same picture by the City of Fayetteville's city engineer. This subdivision is located in North Fayetteville. The developer has numerous houses in the subdivision like this. The City is now trying to pass an ordinance to prevent this from happening again.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
jlong said:
I was sent the same picture by the City of Fayetteville's city engineer. This subdivision is located in North Fayetteville. The developer has numerous houses in the subdivision like this.
Is anybody buying those houses? I could crack some Arkansas jokes and say that the grades aren't going to be a problem with everybody driving a monster truck there, but that's probably not the case. What was the developer thinking?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
I've never worked at an agency that didn't have a maximum limit to the driveway approach. What fools.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
jlong said:
The City is now trying to pass an ordinance to prevent this from happening again.
Have they ever heard of subdivision review? Don't they look at a grading plan?

Planner Groupie

Cyburbian
Well if you ask my opinion, It was obviously somewhere that no planners work, because a planner would never allow that to happen.

As far as a potential buyer, I want some of the drugs they are on!

Cullen

There really must be a good reason for doing this. I can't imagine a developer just "not caring", I mean, that's his money on the line. If the product does not sell, it does not make sense to make it, - it looks like these would not sell if thats all there is to it.

I would be pretty happy if the garage had a nice winch in it to tow the vehicle up and down the hill, plus, it would be impenatrable by roving barbarians. Quick, take the high ground!

Last edited:

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
jlong said:
I live in Northwest Arkansasand yes it does snow. I was sent the same picture by the City of Fayetteville's city engineer. This subdivision is located in North Fayetteville. The developer has numerous houses in the subdivision like this. The City is now trying to pass an ordinance to prevent this from happening again.
Do you know the name of the developer or the subdivision? Are there other examples of the developers projects on the net. I'd love to see more pictures of his work.

I have 40 acres of land in Michigan I need developed and I like his style of incorporating recreation opportunities (skiing and sledding) into the site.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Those pictures made their way around my office about a month ago. Apparently from North Carolina, Charlotte area.

How does a job get to that point? Who knows, alot of stupidity. The garages are obviously useless. We discussed how to retrofit these, and decided to drop the garage floor 10' and make thgarage with loft above.

.......and just remember. Some planner, planning commission, Board of Supervisors, Twp Engineer, etc .... approved the design, the one that had a grading plan that shows 20' driveways @ 50%