• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

"Bad Example" Photos in Regulations

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Land use and design regulations often have photos of good and bad examples of development. Has anyone gotten in hot water for using "bad" examples of local or regional sites? Even if I go out of town, will I get in trouble from the KFC in the town next door?

On the other side, if the city shows something as a "good" example is that also inappropriate advertising?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I find it best to use examples from other Cities because you never really know if an elected official's relative owns the strip mall with the acres of un-landscaped pavement or the restaurant with the obnoxious sign.

As for good development in your City, I don't worry too much about it being perceived as advertising. I look at is like this “If Restaurant A can have a good building with nice materials and great landscaping, Restaurant B should be held to the same standard.”

We are getting a BMW dealership in the City that will set the standard so high for any future dealers that they may consider locating elsewhere. The vehicle display lot will actually be behind the building. There will be like 5-7 display pods set in a heavily landscaped area in front of the building. This will allow them to display 1 car for each model line that they have. I am looking forward to telling other dealers that that is the new standard and anything less will not be allowed.

boiker

Cyburbian
I never had a problem going to the town next door to determine what we want in design. I usually introduce myself to the manager and indicate that I'm surveying X business because my town is anticipating a proposal from business X and wants to have an idea of what to expect. No one has ever told me no you can't take pictures.

I never would identifiy the property by city or location in the pictures however. Just use them for illustrative purposes.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Collecting photos of "good" and "bad" - isn't that what vacations are for? I do use them, but I try to use "bad" photos from far away. On the other hand, I like the "good" photos to be as close as possible, to demonstrate that it is possible in this market, and so that the developer can visit and see for themselves.

I would not label anything "bad." Instead, use labels like "this, not this" or "an example of a historic building with aluminum siding not permitted under the ordinance."