• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Bad Karma

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Have you ever had something around which nothing can seem to go smoothly? Something really innocuous like, oh, say - furniture.

I tried to order a file for the office. Three weeks to deliver. I decided instead to pick a different one up at an office big box. It isn't in stock. My papers are piled in stacks on shelves where I can never find what I need.

I ordered bedroom furniture and the dresser did't fit around the corner of the stairs, so I had to send it all back. I found another set last weekend that I like better, and should fit, but cost three times as much. It will be here in a month. My clothes are stacked in neat piles on the bedroom floor.

Today they delivered a new dining room table and hutch. There was a problem with the table base. They should have a new one to me in a week or so.

When I got back into the office I found that the door mats I had my assistant order (we just re-carpeted) had arrived. They are red. The carpet is blue.

Was I meant to sit, work, sleep, and otherwise live off the floor? Is there a god of furniture punishing me for some past slight? Am I the only one that this sort of thing happens to?

Michele Zone

BANNED
I don't know that this is a 'planning' issue. Maybe you need an astrologer, tarot card reader, Shaman...

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Dude that's some bad luck... well at least be conforted by the thought that it doesn't rain forever :)

Belle

Cyburbian
ROTFLMAO....Thanks, that was the laugh I needed after a rather dismal Monday. I hope things start looking up soon! :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Belle said:
ROTFLMAO....Thanks, that was the laugh I needed after a rather dismal Monday. I hope things start looking up soon! :)
Oh sure, laugh at me while I'm down! How can I help but look up? I'm living off the floor! ;)

biscuit

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Oh sure, laugh at me while I'm down! How can I help but look up? I'm living off the floor! ;)
I feel your pain brother.

We recieved 20 inches of snow the weekend I moved to Pitsburgh and all of my stuff was in storage with the moving truck unable to deliver my furniture. I spent my first week in town with an air-mattress and one suitcase of cloths. I wonder if anybody at the office noticed that I wore the same pair of slacks every day?

nerudite

Cyburbian
Yeah... we all have bad karma of some sort at some time or another. Usually I have bad car karma... trying to get my vehicle up here was terrible.

First I go to register the car, but I need *Canadian* insurance, and to get insurance, I need my driver's license... so that took a day. Then I needed my car to pass the vehicle inspection test, which it doesn't... cost: $800 in 'improvements'. What's next... taking all my paperwork (insurance, inspection reports, customs information, driver's license, etc). down to the registration office. Upon closer inspection of my documents, it turns out that when I crossed the border at 2 a.m. to move up here, the customs officer gave me the wrong color import slip (needed the white copy, got the pink copy), so the registration office turned me away. In the meantime, my car has no registration.

So I take off work and go down to the Canada customs building in downtown Edmonton and try to resolve the problem. They tell me I have to call the border crossing office to get the correct copy. After three or four attempts to get a real live body at the border crossing, I give up and leave a message. A month later, I get the white form in the mail. Yay!

So everything's resolved, right? I go back to the registration office, but they still won't register my vehicle... because now the inspection report has expired (only good for 30 days). So I go back to my mechanic and get another inspection.

And finally... I get my registration. I still can't sell my car up here, so I'm stuck with it until it dies or until I travel down to the States to sell it.

The irony is that they approved for me to live here in 15 minutes at the airport. Getting my vehicle registered up here took three months.