• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Bad Planner Behavior - Former L.A. planning director faces $281,000 ethics fine, the largest of its kind

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
admitted to investigators that he repeatedly violated the city’s “revolving door” law, which prohibits high-level officials from lobbying elected officials, managers and other decision-makers during their first 12 months after leaving city employment,

Wonder if he was a member of AICP ? Isn't there a section in the AICP Code of Ethics about lobbying your former employer ?

TOFB

Cyburbian
Yah but its broken down into 12 easy payments of 23K and change.

DVD

Cyburbian
Meh, so he has to do a couple lobbying gigs to pay it off. He'll be fine.

AG74683

Cyburbian
I'm not saying that what the guy did wasn't wrong (clearly it was because he got fined for it) but the title of the article is a little disingenuous. He received the fine and committed the violations AFTER his employment with the city. The title sort of implies that these ethics violations occurred while he was the director.

The other issue that the article really doesn't delve into is whether there were any actual staff members guilty of ethics violations. If they willingly took meetings with him, were they not in essence supporting his violations of the revolving door law? This guy was the director of the entire department for 5 years. There is NO way staff he spoke with didn't know who he was. Those issues are more problematic in my mind because those people are still employed with the city. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I would have flat refused to meet with LoGrande because of that revolving door law. How can any of them say their decisions were completely impartial?

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
As a follow up -

Editorial: A top L.A. planner illegally lobbying for developers? No wonder people don’t trust City Hall

While’s LoGrande’s transgressions are his own, his ethical lapses play into the larger perception that land-use and development in Los Angeles is a corrupt, insider’s game.
That perception fuels the distrust and anti-development fervor that ultimately make it harder to build the housing and commercial projects needed for the city’s long-term prosperity.