• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Parking Bank parking regs

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Our standard code is 2 stalls per 1,000 square feet but the ** in the code allows an increase beyond the maximum 25 percent of the maximum. I have a bank in a special zone where the code is written specifically for the development. It is a goofy formula used to calculate parking so I use the standard code. The difference in parking with the formula versus the standard code is about 6 percent. So with a development of over 1,000 stalls, not a noticeable difference. A bank at 3,800 square feet wants 40...40 stalls! 40 stalls would allow a general retail building of 10,000 square feet. Google Earth search of local banks during the week (city office shows full parking and sun angle is early afternoon) show perhaps 6-8 cars per bank. Banks just do not generate traffic. What is your local code standard for financial institution parking?

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We require 1/200sqft here. It's a bit much and certainly a leftover from a time when a given bank location would have a fair number of employees and customers on site. That time has clearly passed and I'd like to increase it significantly to something like STTG's or more (aka less required parking) or simply do away with it totally.

We're effectively built out in our main auto-oriented commercial areas and I don't really see the point of mandatory parking regs at this point. I'm on the side of completely deregulating this small part of land development regulation.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
We require 1/200sqft here. It's a bit much and certainly a leftover from a time when a given bank location would have a fair number of employees and customers on site. That time has clearly passed and I'd like to increase it significantly to something like STTG's or more (aka less required parking) or simply do away with it totally.

We're effectively built out in our main auto-oriented commercial areas and I don't really see the point of mandatory parking regs at this point. I'm on the side of completely deregulating this small part of land development regulation.
We did away with a lot of our parking regs and just went to 1 space per 300 sf, which requires less parking.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
We did away with a lot of our parking regs and just went to 1 space per 300 sf, which requires less parking.
Do you still have parking lot dimensional requirements (ie min space size, aisle width, etc)?

Even in a totally deregulated parking provision environment, I could see a rationale for maintain minimum parking lot dimensional requirements if one does have on-site parking.

arcplans

As Featured in "High Times"
Do you still have parking lot dimensional requirements (ie min space size, aisle width, etc)?

Even in a totally deregulated parking provision environment, I could see a rationale for maintain minimum parking lot dimensional requirements if one does have on-site parking.
Of course we have dimensions, driveway widths, etc, we just reduced the amount of parking required.

bureaucrat#3

We're 1 to 200 for customer areas, but I'm going to rewrite soon to 1 to 500 sf or greater. Our banks, especially the main branches downtown are all trying to sell their property and downsize or lease office space. A few of them are still drive thru or appointment only.

I don't think I could ever sell maximums to my community. We're just not there, except for downtown.