• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Bartering

el Guapo

Capitalist
Inspired by other threads today. Besides jobs, cars and homes what are some of the strange and wacky things you have bartered for?

donk

Cyburbian
When I was a kid I split and stacked a neighbour's wood in exchange for them plowing our driveway all winter.

I've traded blueberries and raspberries for finished jams and pies.

My mother trades her knitting for pottery.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
donk said:
When I was a kid I split and stacked a neighbour's wood in exchange for them plowing our driveway all winter.

I've traded blueberries and raspberries for finished jams and pies.

My mother trades her knitting for pottery.
What would you want for a couple pints of fresh blueberries? I have plenty of acorn squash and canteloupe.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
In high school I bartered a deal to let a friend double date with us to prom (the girl wouldnt go alone with him so that tells you something), in exchange he bought dinner for four.

Bartering is quite common at the Mardi Gras parades. I've arranged all sorts of trades for those trinkets that are thrown from the floats.

donk

Cyburbian
No fresh blueberries right now, have a few quarts from last summer in the freezer.

I'm boring. my sister and i just steal clothes from each other and then try to make trades once we're caught.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
A very common one is beer in exchange for help moving. In college, we traded 2 cases of beer for a huge carpet for my roommates bedroom. I often trade different spare computer parts for computer parts that I need.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Planderella said:
Bartering is quite common at the Mardi Gras parades. I've arranged all sorts of trades for those trinkets that are thrown from the floats.
We all know what you "trade" to get beads... ;)

kms

Cyburbian
My husband usually gets beer in exchange for helping neighbors with computer problems. I'll exchange home made bread and pastries for stained glass ornaments my friend makes.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I trade cycling videos with others in the winter....you can only ride the "Tour de Basement" so many times before you need to change the scenery....