• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Basic land use definitions

blawby24

I'm looking for a basic set of land use definitions. I know, I know, there's no such thing.

However, couldn't we, as a profession, create a basic set of 10-15 land uses?

Last edited by a moderator:

DVD

Cyburbian
There are just too many variables to create a standard definition. Every city seems to use their land uses in different ways and paints the map a different way. I worked in one place that had a land use call residential 3-5 du/ac and they allowed low level commercial like grocery stores or other things that would serve the community. I also lived in one town that basically painted their map 1/3 residential to the east, 1/3 commercial to the south and 1/3 industrial to the west. When I saw the map I figured they were like my last place and allowed little things to slip in and it was just a general guide that industrial development should head west. Nope, they only allowed industrial in the industrial land use and rezoning was a nightmare with them.

Also depends on your city. Mine can't do the basic residential, commercial, industrial classes. We have them and use them in the right places, but downtown is just marked downtown to accommodate the big buildings and variety of uses.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
There is a Country that groups theirs according to NAICS numbers - 2 digit & some 4 digit

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Welcome to Cyburbia, blawby!

This is the least granular use use taxonomy I've come up with: This isn't all-encompassing, because it's for an building type-based TND FBC that doesn't cover the entire municipality.
  • Residential: dwelling unit, live-work, collective living, residential care.
  • Lodging: bed and breakfast, hotel.
  • Retail/service/office; adult use, indoor commercial recreation, day care, funeral services, professional office, cafe/restaurant.bar, retail/service general.
  • Vehicular: vehicle fueling, light vehicle repair.​
  • Industrial/semi-industrial: artisan, low impact industrial use, research/laboratory​
  • Civic: community workshop/makerspace, cultural facility, farmers marker, park/preserve, place of assembly, private club/lodge, public safety, primary/secondary school, college/university/vocational school.​
  • Utility and communication: utility substation, wireless facility​
  • Semi-mobile: food truck, food truck court​
  • Accessory uses and single-purpose structures: accessory dwelling unit, amateur/RF hobby antenna, day care home, donation collection box, drive-through facility, farmers market (intermittent), farm stand, home occupation.​
I'm not a fan of NAICS, because it's based on industry type, not impact. NAICS was never meant to be used for zoning.