• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Battle in the Band: The Beatles

Best of the Beatles

• George Harrison

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • John Lennon

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Paul McCartney

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Ringo Starr

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • I prefer The Monkies

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cardinal

Cyburbian
The new threads on bands have me thinking. Which as the best Beatle? Everybody loves their music, and all four had good songs, but which one was the best? Why? (and while we're at it, which is your favorite of their songs?)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Unfair question! As a group, the four were unstoppable. On their own, well, take a listen and it becomes apparent the four had a unique chemistry when together as a rock and roll band.

Favorite song? Either Strawberry Fields, Tomorrow Never Knows, Helter Skelter, or The End. I have a soft spot for Martha My Dear and most of the songs on A Hard Days Night. Norwegian Wood is also at the top of my fave list.

Tom R

Cyburbian
fab 4

I'm an unrepetant John fan, with George a close second. Paul did some excellent stuff but after "Bowl of Cherries" his solo stuff went down hill. May favorite Beatle songs? That's tough. I'd have to go with "A Day in the Life" followed in no particular order by "Girl", "You've got to Hide your Love Away", and (Sad to say I can't recall if this is the real title. Geeserism strikes) "I'll give you every thing Ive got for a little peace of MInd." There are sooooo many more, though.

Dave F

Cyburbian
Re: fab 4

Tom R said:
I'm an unrepetant John fan, with George a close second. Paul did some excellent stuff but after "Bowl of Cherries" his solo stuff went down hill. May favorite Beatle songs? That's tough. I'd have to go with "A Day in the Life" followed in no particular order by "Girl", "You've got to Hide your Love Away", and (Sad to say I can't recall if this is the real title. Geeserism strikes) "I'll give you every thing Ive got for a little peace of MInd." There are sooooo many more, though.
\

It's "I'm so tired" form the White Album. Great song. Personally. I like the whole Revolver album and most of the White Album (especially the first and third sides) the best.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
You forgot to add Brian Epstien, the 5th Beatle!

That is a tough question, since many songs were written by both McCartney and Lennon. I would have to say the Lennon seemed to write the better songs, McCartney seemed to prefer the more catchy, poppy tunes.

H

Cyburbian
I know I am the only one…

But I don’t like the music of the Beatles at all. Cant stand it.

But if I had to chose the coolest… Definitely Ringo.

El Feo

Cyburbian
Huston said:
I know I am the only one…

But I don’t like the music of the Beatles at all. Cant stand it.

But if I had to chose the coolest… Definitely Ringo.
Huston, you're not alone. I'm not a huge fan. I mean, I don't hate them or anything, but I don't think they're (steeling myself for flames) that talented. But the in-laws love 'em, and at all get-togethers guitars come out and you'd better be prepared to sing along.

That said, coolest - Ringo, because I think he doesn't take himself that seriously. Least fave - for the opposite reason - John Lennon.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I think Lennon was the best one, by far the most creative and kept them cutting-edge. I listen to the Abbey Road album a lot. Can't get enough of it.

Norris

El Feo said:
Huston, you're not alone. I'm not a huge fan. I mean, I don't hate them or anything, but I don't think they're (steeling myself for flames) that talented. But the in-laws love 'em, and at all get-togethers guitars come out and you'd better be prepared to sing along.

That said, coolest - Ringo, because I think he doesn't take himself that seriously. Least fave - for the opposite reason - John Lennon.
Its definately OK to not like the Beatles. On my way around town I have to negotiate a JL statue, yellow submarine, magical mystery tour bus, they've even renamed the flipping airport. Can't stand them!

The Irish One

George, hands down.

Ringo, I love him, he's the peoples Beatle.

John was a horrible guitarist, just terrible. He could sing and play the piano great. One word, Yoko. YUK

Paul is cleary the most blessed with vocal range and abilities with the keys and strings. BUT What's up with Paul changing the song credits to Mcaurtney-Lennon. That says so much, what a putz.

prudence

Cyburbian
Hmmm...

I can't vote on a favorite...it truly changes from week to week, depending on the mood I'm in.

As for song...

Blackbird (really the entire White Album)
Hey Bulldog
It's All Too Much
Baby You're A Rich Man
She Said She Said (actually the entire Revolver album)
Dear Prudence (obviously)
Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except Me and My Monkey
Golden Slumbers Medley
Two Of Us

...there are just too many brilliant tunes.

BKM

Cyburbian
So-So, but what about the Lizard Men?

I voted for Ringo. He was the coolest :)
I don't really find the Beetles that interesting. Overall-nice, innovative pop music that's not offensive or irritating.

Semi-Off Topic.

What I really can't understand is the appeal of the Lizard Men-namely the Rolling Stones. Ugh: Image, most of their music, $150 concert tickets, everything about them.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
As City Planning Official, my professional opinion is that JOHN was the best Beatle. He seemed to be the one pushing them in more innnovative directions. Paul had the "better" voice but I like John's more.

Song: Happiness is a Warm Gun

As far as the Stones they play unti their 100 but I'll never understand the $150 concert tickets for a band 30 years past their prime.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
I'm an unrepetant John fan, with George a close second. Paul did some excellent stuff but after "Bowl of Cherries" his solo stuff went down hill.
Ditto on all of the above. Plus John Lennon has always fascinated me as a person. He was extremely intelligent. Of course, he was also human, and made a lot of mistakes in his lifetime, like the rest of us. I was very upset when he was killed.

It's way too hard to pick a favorite song. I know most if not all of them, and it depends on my mood. But, I'm sure "A Day in the Life" would be up there in my list of favorites.

prudence said:
How is Blink 182 these days??
Blech! Overrated, IMHO.

Seabishop said:
As far as the Stones they play unti their 100 but I'll never understand the $150 concert tickets for a band 30 years past their prime.
Yeah, the Eagles were charging even more than that. I think the only band I'd pay $150 to see is the Who... I'm glad I got to see them, more or less intact, once in my life.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
How about Billy Preston as the fifth Beatle?
who later played with "The Band"

Last edited:

Runner

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
Everybody loves their music...
Not me, I'm going to have to side with the minority on this one. I really liked the Beatles until John Lennon died. Immediately after that every radio station had to go on and on for days on end playing nothing but Beatles songs until I got totally burned out on them. Now I just change the station whenever one of their songs comes on.

Tom R

Cyburbian
sideman

JNA said:
How about Billy Preston as the fifth Beatle?
who later played with "The Band"
Billy Preston was a very talented sideman. He also had a top 10 hit on his own "Will it go round in a circle," or some such. If you want to talk sit ins, there is Eric Clapton who played the GREAT lead guitar on "While my guitar gently weeps."

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just voted for Paul McCartney. Probably the "pop" thing.

Imagine this Bear as a Soph in high school and seeing those guys on Ed Sullivan. We were used to Bobby Vee and Bobby Darin. Socks were knocked off and I rushed to the (now non-existent) 1964 big box store, Arlan's Discount Department Store. Hitchhiked home with "Meet The Beatles" tucked under my arm.

Love Me Do
Day In the Life
Sgt. Pepper
The End

These four (4) I would want on that desert island.

(Of course that isle would need electricity and I'd need a "record player". Those under thirty (30) please cruise internet for photos of record players.)

Bear

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
(Of course that isle would need electricity and I'd need a "record player". Those under thirty (30) please cruise internet for photos of record players.)
Record Player. AKA: "Turntable," a component in your "Hi-Fi."

Glad to see you posting, Bear. Hope you are feeling better. Ever get to take some photos of DeNoc?

boiker

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
I always thought that was Apu Nahasapeemapetalon.

(Obscure Simpsons reference)
ahem... apu debormarshea!

chief wiggum was out.. .too village people. eckh!

"talent by Nigel"

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
boiker said:
ahem... apu debormarshea!
GOOD LORD BOIKER! Is that your High school year book picture? I smell an Avatar Theme Week TM Cyburbia Productions 2003 coming on!

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
as inspired by Bear Up North and Michael Stumpf
I know i will be showing my age, anyway here it goes

Did the Beatles ever have a 45 "B" side that was a famous/Top 40?

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Not much of a Beatles fan. Voted Lennon since he wrote the song that I used for my "Mother-Son" dance at my wedding reception "In My Life."

Tom R

Cyburbian
B side

JNA said:
as inspired by Bear Up North and Michael Stumpf
I know i will be showing my age, anyway here it goes

Did the Beatles ever have a 45 "B" side that was a famous/Top 40?
I could be wrong, but I thought that "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" were on the same 45. If so, which was the "B" side. I'm sure there were other instances when both sides hit the top 40. At that time, the Beatles could record a fart in unison and make the top 100.

Mud Princess

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
I could be wrong, but I thought that "She Loves You" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" were on the same 45.
I don't think so. I believe it was something later in their career. But I don't want to cheat by googling, so here's my guess:
"Penny Lane" b/w "Hello Goodbye" ?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Re: sideman

Tom R said:
...If you want to talk sit ins, there is Eric Clapton who played the GREAT lead guitar on "While my guitar gently weeps."
Yeah, and also the dude (his name escapes me) that played keyboard on "Get Back"