• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Battlestar Galactica!

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Anyone see the first half of the miniseries last night on the SciFi Channel? I was a fan of the original BG TV series. It may not be hip to admit it, but I think the revival is off to a good start.

Some things I appreciated: (Spoilers ahead: highlight to view.)

* High technology, but not that high-tech. For instance, Vipers and Cylon Raiders are armed with target-seeking missiles, not lasers or 1920s-style death rays.

* Society really isn't that far removed from Earth's western civilizations. No shiny uniforms that are worn by the masses, and no universally accepted culture or mindset. Was that a Rastafarian in the marketplace?

* Channel 7 news? Did they start their newscasts with reports of a house fire on the East Side of Capricawanna?

Seems like Colonial civilization and technology isn't hundreds of years ahead of Earth, but rather close to the same level. Excepting aerospace technology, of course.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I just had it on, but didn't understand what was going on. I was looking for the old BG.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Woo hoo!

Ronald D. Moore, executive producer of SCI Channel's upcoming new series Battlestar Galactica, told SCI FI Wire that the 13-episode first season will pick up where the hit December miniseries left off and will build on that show's characters and situations. SCI FI on Feb. 10 formally announced a green light for production to begin on the Galactica series, which will bring back cast members Edward James Olmos (Adama), Mary McDonnell (Laura Roslin), Katee Sackhoff (Starbuck) and Tricia Helfer (Number Six), among others. Production commences next month in Vancouver, B.C.