• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Urban design BBC story of cities designed by women

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Today my wife showed me this video.

It goes into several thing that urban planners need to do to make cities work for woman. Some of the ideas are great and I think we try to incorporate, others such as shutting down areas to cars has been tried and failed here in the US.

What are your thoughts? Do you think that we in the US only design for men? If so, what can we do better?

Last edited by a moderator:

darnoldy

Cyburbian
What are your thoughts? Do you think that we in the US only design for men? If so, what can we do better?
Maybe--but not directly. Certainly they are mostly designed by men--I must admit that I am a big fan of Julia Morgan, and find her body of work much more impressive than her more-famous contemporary, Frank Lloyd Wright!

I think cities, in the last 100 - 200 years (which is most of the U.S.) have been designed around the needs of commerce and industry (which traditionally been male-dominated).

I worry that, today, cities seem to be being redesigned one project at a time to meet the financial calculations of developers, rather than the needs of the community.

--don

ChairmanMeow

Cyburbian
Haven't superblocks generally not worked well in the US?

And yes to the bathroom thing.

Saying no to sleaze is intriguing. I think I have a number of friends (mainly in the NY metro area) who might want to utilize that.