• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Be careful, JoMo!

nerudite

Cyburbian
The name of the town is Knutsford, and they have a bad squirrel problem. Maybe if they changed the town name, the squirrels would stop showing up. What's a squirrel's natural enemy? Hawskford or Weaselford perhaps.

Runner

Cyburbian
I don't understand. Why doesn't someone just shoot the darn thing? I guess it must be some type of English gun control thing... Maybe we should send them a wrist rocket...

Journeymouse

Cyburbian
Chances are the squirrel was raised by humans so it's lost it's fear of people. And I'm big enough to kick a squirrels arse back into touch (do people say that in the States? I'm told it comes from rugby, so maybe not). I know this from dealing with the squirrels at Keele. Though this one does look fitter than the nicotene and fat addicted ones back at the alma mater (they used to eat the rubbish fro round the back of the union chip shop rather than nuts).

Jen

Cyburbian
Yikes, nasty squirrel.

There was a groundhog in our yard the other day, I think we disturbed his slumber underneath a pile of brush 'cuz he wasn't too steady on his feet and kept lurching to the left and wouldn't scare off at all. It kept coming toward me which made me nervous thinking of West Nile Virus and rabies.

Finally he crawled up the hill and into the woods. Bizarre behavior but its fur was very gray so maybe it was just old and confused.

donk

Cyburbian
The ground hog was probably just confused. They tend to be when you wake them up from hibernating. He probably was not old, they turn white in winter.

My funniest ground hog tale is one somehow got into our house and up to the second floor and it took us about an hour to shoo him out. He starts running free across the lawn, the dog sees the ground hog and snap, no more ground hog, the dog ate it.

my least favourite place to see them is sleeping on the side of the road in the sun when I am riding, they stink.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
My funniest ground hog tale is one somehow got into our house and up to the second floor and it took us about an hour to shoo him out. He starts running free across the lawn, the dog sees the ground hog and snap, no more ground hog, the dog ate it.
Same thing happened to me with some mice... I lived above a restaurant and I had some mouse problems in my flat for awhile. I bought some of those humane traps that catches them live so you can release them later (I'm not into killing anything if it all possible... probably from my early interest in Jainism when I was in junior high)... so anyway, it was freezing outside so I kept the mouse inside all night, took it out to the park the next day and released it. I could see it bounding away through the park as "Born Free" runs though my mind... and then *swoop*... a blue jay attacks it and starts pecking it to death.

I did this a few more times and just chalked it up to contributing to the food chain.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
In years that we have a nice Autumn we will prop open the front door to the office. Because it is an old part of the city (1840's) there are plenty of old trees, especially oaks and walnuts. This means there are a lot of squirrels around, looking for good storage spaces. It seems an old library looks very appealing, because we have had several of them come on in. The first time it found its way into my office and went over to the hearth of my fireplace before we noticed each other. For the next twenty minutes I chased that guy around, over dividers and under desks, before getting him to leave, at which point the only other person in the office calmly came over and asked "Was there a squirrel in here?" I have proof. There is still a nut in my office.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Michael Stumpf said:
I have proof. There is still a nut in my office.
The guy who chased the squirrel instead of letting him find his own way out?