• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Beauty??

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Great link Planderella! The magic of airbrushing exposed! :)

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
airbrush is a wonderful thing for a model, I have yet to meet a model that looked like their pics.

the camera can and does lie even with just the change of lighting

carlomarx

Cyburbian
*Sniff* ...Why can't you let us have our little fantasies?

Why, God, why?

WHYYYYY???

Reality burns my eyes from their sockets!!

My head is spinning. If models don't really look like that, then who does? Will I be searching the planet all my life for something that doesn't exist?

Thanks for spoiling EVERYTHING FOREVER!

Even if a photo is not retouched with an airbrush, I have said for years that if you took an ordinary woman and had a professional hairstylist, professional make up artist, professional wardrobe consultant and so on do her up and then had a professional photographer take 2 dozen rolls of pics of her, you could find one or two that made her look fabulous -- you know?

(And that is not even going into how they tape up the boobs so she can go braless and the 2 dozen safety pins shaping the jacket that doesn't actually fit her.)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Oh.... the humanity!

what next... pron doesn't resemble reality? ;)

On a serious note: totally predictable... technology can make quite some changes... for an example... who would have thought that the scene in Matrix reloaded when Neo fights the thousand agent smiths is completely computer generated... yeah... it looks kind of fake sometimes, because it is!

Big Easy King

Cyburbian
Is she real? Even butter, as smooth as it is, has creases and kinks in it! They have to find a way to sell magazines.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Re-read the introduction to that page,

This shows an extreme example of how far an image can be taken

I've known women who have absolutely perfect skin; almost perfectly smooth, an even tone throughout, no blemishes, no acne or blackheads, and no large pores. This is without makeup, too.

The subject of the airbrushing looks older - I'd guess her early 30s. (Here's another example, with a woman that is pretty but definitely in her mid-to-late 30s.) She looks good, witthout the airbrushing and photoshopping, but she has the wrinkles and bumps that come with age. Younger women have fewer "imperfections." This partially explains the appeal of teenage high fashion supermodels.

The airbrushing cleaned up a woman that would otherwise be a 7.5 or 8 on the metric scale of superficial attractiveness. What about a 9 or 10; someone in the upper 0.5 percentile of hotness?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
I suppose male models get the same treatment.
We have it easier. Chicks did scars, and a more mature appearance does not carry the same baggage as it does for a woman.