• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Beer... giving planners a smile since 1829

JNL

Cyburbian
I'll have a Heineken, Stella Artois, Oranjeboom (sp?), Crown or Corona, thanks

I only have one more hour of Friday afternoon till I can go home and have a beer :)

JNL

Cyburbian
LouisvilleSlugger said:
Bartender, line 'em all up for Jenn :)
Yes please, and an extra Corona for Slugger in honour of your birthday

donk

Cyburbian
While this has already been done, it is a good topic none the less

Tranplanner is going to hate me for this one, I still have a few bottles of 50 from my trip to Toronto. They will be gone by the end of saturday.

The creemore barely made it home.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

Tranplanner is going to hate me for this one, I still have a few bottles of 50 from my trip to Toronto. They will be gone by the end of saturday.
Why would I hate you for not drinking crap beer?

I, uh, still have one bottle of your Garrison left. I'm saving it for a special occasion.

Tonight, I think, will be a Mill St. Organic Lager night. Mmmmmm... Shame they only sell it in tiny (195ml) bottles.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Lambic

I have not yet seen a freference to Belgian Lambics. If you like the taste of fruit in your beer, this type is for you. More than likely, a girfriend or spouse would love it. They are worth trying but are expsensive. All of them are very good. My favorite I will leave to another post :)

Lambic:

Faro / Saison / Framboise / Gueaeze / Kriek

Budgie

Cyburbian
My favorites

1. John Smith Bitter, not available in the US and brewed in Tadworth, England.

2. Guiness

3. Stampede Stout brewed at the High Noon Saloon in Leavenworth.

4. Bitburger

5. Turborg

6. Colt 45 (when funds are tight)

el Guapo

Capitalist
The best beer is the one you made yourself!

I've got a keg of homebrew wheat in the fridge, so there!

Its a micro-micro brew.

jordanb

Cyburbian
Seabishop said:
Sam Adams . . .
Sam Adams is the worst stuff ever.

I was at a party where all they had was Sam Adams, Miller Lite, and Budweiser, so I took the lesser of three evils (bud) and ended up feeling like total shit the next day.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Schells-fine german beer in the US. www.schellsbrewery.com

There’s an old saying “Never trust a brewery under 140 years old." Okay, it’s our old saying, but it’s true, nonetheless. Schell's is the second oldest family-owned brewery in the country. While microbreweries and beer trends have come and gone, we’ve been right here, tirelessly brewing fine lagers and ales for the people who appreciate them. Visit our brewery grounds and you’ll see deer, roaming peacocks, gnomes, not to mention barrel after barrel of the finest beers imaginable. That’s just who we are, as it has been for over a century.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: The best beer is the one you made yourself!

el Guapo said:
I've got a keg of homebrew wheat in the fridge, so there!

Its a micro-micro brew.
Is it a micro brew or home brew?

Do you all grain mash or use the syrup?

If you like a really pale ale designed like a chzeck lager, I have a good one for you! :)

Whats the largest batch size you can do?

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Kunstmann...no other...
Budweiser... no thanks, specially because the one that comes here isn't from the US but from Argentina (but it's still like having sex in a canoe ;))

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Lambic

Duke Of Dystopia said:
I have not yet seen a freference to Belgian Lambics. If you like the taste of fruit in your beer, this type is for you. More than likely, a girfriend or spouse would love it. They are worth trying but are expsensive. All of them are very good. My favorite I will leave to another post :)

Lambic:

Faro / Saison / Framboise / Gueaeze / Kriek
I have had some pretty awful fruit beers. If you want a great one, try New Glarus Brewery's
Wisconsin Belgian Red.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Re: Re: The best beer is the one you made yourself!

Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
Is it a micro brew or home brew? It's my home brew. I was implying that I'm a much smaller brewer than a micro-brew.

Do you all grain mash or use the syrup? DME - Going all grain next year. I have already built the grain sparger.

If you like really pale ale designed like a chzeck lager, I have a good one for you! :) Thanks, but I'm a wheat beer man

Whats the largest batch size you can do? 5 gals - but I have 10 gallons in the house now. 5 in the fridge, 5 going through tertiary fermentation and aging in a carboy.

H

Cyburbian
Right now its Hoegarden.

But I go in phases. My last phase was HifeLife, before that, PBR, before that Stroh’s…

Really, its all good :)

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Duke Of Dystopia said:
If you are in to drinking thin oatmeal and like the taste of burnt charcoal :)
Mmmmm stout

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Lambic

Michael Stumpf said:
I am sory for being a purist, this is my favorite subject in the world. Its not enough to just drink beer, I need to know its history and method also:)

As the tie in to planning, beer is very specific to the geology and hydrology of a region or even within a large city. Edinburg, Munich, Dortmund, Pilsen, and many other cities had fortunes that rose and fell on the back of the beer trade.

The US is experiencing a rebirth in the art of fermenting beer. So much was lost during prohibition, the great depression, and the second world war :( I like the stuff that comes from New Glarus (Spotted cow, Hele weizen, lambic), but you have to try a BELGIAN lambic in comparison to really understand what I am talking about.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I remember when I started college, imports were all the rage. Bars had import nights, and there were few microbreweries. We always would hear about how much better imported beer was compared to American Brew. Now microbreweries are everywhere and most of them brew some really great beer. Way better than most imports (Guinness and some German Wiess beers excluded). One of the greatest things to ever happen to the fermented beverage industry, in my opinion.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: The best beer is the one you made yourself!

el Guapo said:
I have already built the grain sparger.
[/B] [/B]

Did you make the rotating arm sparger or did you make the coil sparge system? If you have not seen the coil sparge, let me know, I will send a pick of mine. I loose 1% of efficiency but I can sparge as fast as I can drain the mash without compacting the grains :) Very much worth it.

Also worth it is the $25 bucks for Pro Mash brewing software.

I have a 24 gallon stainless steel conical fermentor with a cooling device that lets me do lagers at room tempurature :) :) :)

GODS I LOVE THIS HOBBY!

tsc

Cyburbian
At the local bars... I would say Bass Ale or Amstel
but... I love going up to Canada and bringing home some German/English/Irish beers. It easy to stash on a boat.....

I also just has some really good beer from a micro brewery in Upstate NY... so good I finished a growler (1/2 gallon). It was made by the Ithaca Brewery for a local pub. .. but can't remember the name!!!

for darker days... i do like Guiness or Murphy's Irish Stout.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
Did Someone Say Hops?

I raise a pint glass to the great state of Colorado, which has taken a leadership position in the brewing industry notwithstanding the presence of the enemy, "Bud N' Curs." If you don't believe me, just ask Denver's new mayor and brewer extraordinaire, John Hickenlooper. Here's just a limited list of the embarassment of riches this state offers. Some are household names, others ought to be:

1. Fat Tire -New Belgium Brewery
2. Wynkoop Brewing
3. Breckinridge Brewing
4. Avery Brewing
5. Il Vicino
6. Flying Dog
7. Phantom Canyon
8. Left Hand Brewing
9. Boulder Brewing
10. Rockies Brewing.

And, my apolgies for those who were omitted

Mark

Cyburbian
some good beers

Bell's Oberon and Best Brown
Motor City Brewing Ghetto Blaster

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
Looking forward to a cold 4-pack of 16 oz. bottles of Budweiser when I get home from work.

LouisvilleSlugger

Cyburbian
JNL said:
Yes please, and an extra Corona for Slugger in honour of your birthday
oh yeah, I'll drink to that one!!! *straightens himself up in the bar stool in anticipation of a cold frosty headed my way....* mmm...beer. :)

Jen

Cyburbian
Everyone of my favorites is listed here already, maybe twice!
A local fave
www.bellsbeer.com

This great lakes staters, is where cyburbi fest should take place! At the eccentric cafe and beergarden.

martini

Cyburbian
I meant to reply to this friday, but ran out of time. And since I'm already thinking of Friday, why not now, eh?

My favs have already been listed, but I'll reiterate:

Schell's. Good stuff. Local to me.

New Belguim. The whole line up they have is great. Wife recently tooka trip out to colorady and brought back a nice large selection for me. I love her!

New Glarus. Best in the midwest! I have to travel to Wisco to get it tough.

Grain Belt Premium for those hot and Humid Minnesota summer nights.

Murphy's Stout or Guiness for those frigidly cold Minnesota winters.

Oh yes, and nearly any Nut Brown will do me just fine nearly anytime.

Last edited:

biscuit

Cyburbian
Has everyone forgoten about Newcastle? One of the nicest things I can do for myself is drink a cold newcastle draft in a frosty mug. MMMMMMMM Good!

el Guapo

Capitalist
NEWS - FLASH

The keg-O' wheat beer in my fridge was tapped last night after aging for two months. It tastes very close to our local favorite, Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat . About the same hoppyness and carbonation also. Yummm! On the downside, the damned Atkins diet limits my intake to one glass.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Re: A Real Planner's Beer

Maroon said:
From the label: "Make no small plans, Drink no small beer." [/B]
Now we are talking... I am thinking that you will need to pick up a few cases and bring them to the Nat. Confrence.

OR

Where can I pick up some??

Maroon

Cyburbian
Well, it's a really great pilsner. As good or better than any of the genuine Czech stuff that I've had. Not too expensive, as I recall.

Try Sam's Wine and Spirits for mail order, if your state allows it.

I hope to be in DC in April for the conference- I'll try to pick some up.

I know that it's available in Michigan and Indiana, as well as Chicago.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Maroon said:
Well, it's a really great pilsner. As good or better than any of the genuine Czech stuff that I've had.
:) BLASPHEMOUR!!! :)

Just out of curiousity, what was it that made it better than a czech pilsner. body, texture, color, sweatness, bitterness? I am interested to know what your flavor profile for that decision is.

My last homebrew was designed as a Czech pilsner but I did not want to wait for the lagering process so I used equal amounts of Dortmunder Ale yeast and London Ale yeast. It turned out to still be very smooth and very pale without the wait :)

Rem

Cyburbian
Oh no - I have had the flu and am only catching up on Cyburbia now. You talked about beer while I was gone. Shame.

I see el Guapo and the Duke of Dystopia are home brewers. I have this hobby as well, though I do not make my own worts (room is a bit of a problem). I make my beer in a sealed fermentor using a purchased syrup. It is winter here at the moment so I am heating the brew but in summer you can brew out a batch in four or five days with no artificial heat and 7 days secondary fermentation. I use mainly Coopers' worts (an old family brewery based in South Australia) though can't resist trying one of the hundreds others we have to choose from pretty regularly.

My favorite packaged beer is Hahn Premium (NSW), probably followed closely by Cascade and James Boags (Tasmanian) beers.
I noticed JNL doesn't nominate any NZ beers but Speights (NZ) is also one of my favorites. Sorry I've only ever had US Beers imported in cans and they probably haven't travelled well or been handled well as they tend to be not so good. I look forward to trying some properly presented varieties one day (when I get over there). I've never been anywhere the beer didn't taste good.