• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Belated introduction

jordanb

Cyburbian
I've been meaning to introduce myself since I realized that it was a requirement on this board. I'm only good for one big post on the internet a day though, and I kept hitting my quota. Today I decided to do it during lunch to get over with it because I know I'll get sidetracked again at home.

I've just finished my sophomore year at UIC. I moved here from Springfield IL to go to school, and realized that I like it here a lot better than down there, so I got an apartment here and managed to get an internship with the state Economic Information Analysis division. A few months ago, I borrowed a copy of Death and Life... from a friend and read it. I've always hated cars and I knew I liked the city more partially because I'm not dependent on them here. The way Jacobs managed to express all of that put the hold on me. Since then I've just been reading everything I can get my hands on the subject of planning and cities. I've read Kunstler's three books, Suburban Nation (recently), Reflections on Regionalism, Variations on a Theme Park, and Jacobs's Economy of Cities (current). More reading suggestions are welcome.

I've been studying computer science, but while I enjoy working with computers, I think I'd be much happier if I kept them as a hobby rather than trying to make it in that industry. Government work appeals to me because strong labor rules ensure that you're treated like a human being and there's job security that's horribly lacking elsewhere, in tech especially. So I'm in the process of switching my major to statistics. I could see myself doing planning in grad school but my economic situation is such that I need to work through school, so I'll probably just try to get a job after I get my degree and take it easy for a while, and then see if I can work graduate school into that.

Also, from what I've seen on this board, I wouldn't be able to get a job in Chicago out of school in planning. I like being car free and would prefer to stay that way, so getting a job in an auto-dependent suburb really doesn’t appeal to me.

At any rate, this seems like a pretty nice board. I got an email letting me know about it after I complained about the trolls in alt.planning.urban, but it had a bogus "from" field so I don't know who to thank.

So there it is, sorry about taking such a long time to do this.

SGB

Cyburbian
Welcome to yet another a.p.u. escapee!

Relax, and enjoy.......

BKM

Cyburbian
Welcome. I've enjoyed your posts. Plus you found probably the single George Will quote I could ever agree with :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
It's not a requirement that you introduce yourself. It just gives a head start on learning things about you to use against you later. ;)

Welcome!

Cardinal

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
It's not a requirement that you introduce yourself. It just gives a head start on learning things about you to use against you later. ;)

Welcome!
Have you posted your picture yet... nothing will happen to it... no photoshopping....

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
I couldn't leave this one alone before I head out for a few vacation days.....
Classic... totally classic! Now he knows he is one of us. Maybe he'll even get a sexual euphemism eventually.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
NHPlanner said:
I couldn't leave this one alone before I head out for a few vacation days.....
Looks like Dan is about to "kill a raccoon"

OMG you guys are too much. Jordan, welcome to the crew. I guess after you've killed raccoons with The Great Leader Dan, you really are a Cyburbian for life. :)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Welcome

JUST NEVER let them coax you into putting your real pic on line... I learned that the hard way. Some of them could work for Disney with there photo shop skills.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Jordan.....

Welcome to this interesting board. You'll have fun. Just a few posts will give you an indication about who is nuts.

Ahhh, we're all nuts.

Bear Up North Taking A Nut From A Squirrel