• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Best Bars

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
OK, this is called the Friday Afternoon Club. What do most sensible folk do on a Friday afternoon, no matter if you are in Walla Walla or Bono (guess where)?

Drink !!!!!

Best Bars Thread.....

Not in any particular order:

Stumps Tavern, Three Lakes, Michigan (Michigan's UP, west of Marquette)
200-Plus inches of snow in a bad winter so lots of snow machines. Fishermen with funny Scandanavian accents in the summer.

Keyhole Bar, Mackinaw City, Michigan
Touristy. Go after the summer is over. Fudgie's go in Summer.

Dale's Bar, Maumee, Ohio
My own beer mug hangs on the wall so I gotta go there.

Loma Linda's. Swanton, Ohio
Best margo's in the world.

Frogtown Johnny's, Toledo, Ohio
Football TV's everywhere. Lots of Steeler fans. Yes, in Ohio. Go Steelers !!!
_____

No palaces here. Just plain whiskey and beer and whatever comes of a Friday.....

Sheltered Midwest Life Bear

nerudite

Cyburbian
The subject has been brought up in another thread. But it has been awhile, so maybe it's time we got some new bar recommendations from our more recent joiners. :)

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
In San Francisco: Perry's and across the street the Bus Stop. Across the Bay in Sausalito: no name bar. In Santa Cruz: Seabright Brewery. Eichart's in Sandpoint, Idaho...but I know I'm leaving soooo many off the list.

Jeff

Cyburbian
When are you people going to realize that there is more to life than booze?

I may be one of the few people who get absolutely nothing out of drinking at a bar. What makes a bar great anyway? The people, the drinks, the music, the atmosphere, what?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I like the Great Dane, in Madison, although their microbrews have been a bit off lately. In winter, the Essen Haus is good for their German beers.

The lodge at St. Mary's, just outside Glacier National Park, has good beer and the views are nice too. It doesn't hurt that you just feel so good to be at the park in the first place.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Planderella said:
I may be one of the few people who get absolutely nothing out of drinking at a bar. What makes a bar great anyway? The people, the drinks, the music, the atmosphere, what?
Hmm. Is that why you "fall asleep" in them? ;)

BKM

Cyburbian
I am so sensitive to alcohol, that I shouldn't drive after two beers. So, I don't hang out in bars very much.

Bullwinkle

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
Loma Linda's. Swanton, Ohio
Best margo's in the world.
Hey! I've been to Loma Lindas. I worked in Fulton County about ten years ago. I had ostrich fajitas there once. Tasted like chicken.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Habanero said:
Cedar Door in Austin.

(and I thought Dahmer said, "mmm, tastes like sausage")
Oh good lord -- living in this most of city my life, no one I know thought of that yet. I either need cooler friends or I need to steal your joke.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Joe's Generic Bar in Austin, Texas.
Chope's in Las Cruces, New Mexico.
My Brother's Place in Denver, Colorado.
Falling Rock in Denver, Colorado
The Ship Tavern in Denver, Colorado.
The Pink Flamingo in Buffalo, New York.

Cole's in Buffalo, New York.

1elmwood_108-med.jpg

Number one, though ... Gabriel's Gate in Buffalo, New York.

1allentown_08-med.jpg

Jeff

Cyburbian
Mastiff said:
For Mike, sure... there's dope.
...I'm actually on an ecstasy kick right now...nothing like a few E-Bombs to get your day started right!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Gone, but not forgotten: Papa Lou's Chug in the Village at Ball State.

H

Cyburbian
For the cities I have lived in (in reverse chronological order):

Miami, Fla: Keg South (in Pinecrest)
Knoxville, Tenn: Sunspot (on the strip)
Oxford, Miss: Proud Larry’s (on the square)
Atlanta, Ga: Moe’s & Joe’s (in VH)

Jessie-J

Cyburbian
4. Nick's, St. Louis, MO
lively irish-like entertainment

2. Brown Bar, Austin, TX, chill ambient swanky life, DJ's and techno yum

3. Flying Saucer, Dallas, TX, mmmmm, beer and darts

5. Club Clearview, Dallas TX, techno, freak with some random hot guy, there are 5 styles of bar in this one bar location

1. Cedar Street, Austin, TX, live salsa, really good drinks and lots of friends, outdoors

mcmplans

Cyburbian
In grad school, we hung out at a bar in Memphis called "RP Tracks". It was located beside some railroad tracks and everytime a train went by all shots were half price...did I mention that there were LOTS of trains!!

Loved Proud Larry's in Oxford, MS when I lived there. Also spent a lot of time at City Grocery bar and Longshot.

H

Cyburbian
mcmplans said:
In grad school, we hung out at a bar in Memphis called "RP Tracks". It was located beside some railroad tracks and everytime a train went by all shots were half price...did I mention that there were LOTS of trains!!

Loved Proud Larry's in Oxford, MS when I lived there. Also spent a lot of time at City Grocery bar and Longshot.
Sweeeeeet!... Hotty Toddy!

ps. although I am a VOL fan. (see avatar)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
In a spin off of the coffee thread

I like bars dark and cheap.

H

Cyburbian
Re: In a spin off of the coffee thread

Chet said:
I like bars dark and cheap.

Like your coffee ;)

edit: did not read title, whoops...:)

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Right now, all my favourite bars are located in Sudbury, Ontario, because they've gone smoke-free! Got pissed the other weekend, and woke up hangover-free. Think it's the cigarette smoke that usually makes me feel like death warmed over the next morning.

H

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
Right now, all my favourite bars are located in Sudbury, Ontario, because they've gone smoke-free! Got pissed the other weekend, and woke up hangover-free. Think it's the cigarette smoke that usually makes me feel like death warmed over the next morning.
for what it is worth….

I agree that smoke can be bothersome and is unhealthy, but as a girl I was dating once pointed out, the smoking section is always more fun. She did not smoke (but insisted on always sitting in the smoking section). Not only were the people more fun, but the servers were generally better, because from what I understand, that is where the ‘tips’ are.

A non-smoking bar sounds kinda “sterile” I prefer the “dive”.

Not that I in any way am condoning smoking.

H

Cyburbian
Chet said:
Wait, you were a girl and now you're not? ;)
haha, NO.

always been a guy

I will be more careful with my typing next time.:)

Last edited:

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
The Badger Bar in Platteville, Wisconsin. It's been in the same family for about 50 years. The two little old spinster sisters that run the place have made no changes to it, ever. It's like stepping into the 40's. You need to get there before 7:30, because those ladies get tired and like to close early. If you work the night shift at the Deere plant in Dubuque, though, they open in the morning around 5:00.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
DecaturHawk said:
The Badger Bar in Platteville, Wisconsin.
I was there in the mid-80's. Great hang out before going to get a Steve's Grease Wheel or a 2am gyro.

SGB

Cyburbian
Ham's Inn at Sevey's Corners, NY.

The namesake passed away a number of years ago, but I had the priviledge of hearing him spin his tales a few times during college years.

amylea

Some of my favorites:
Cleveland: Pearl Road Tavern
Pittsburgh: Bar 11
I wish I could come up with a great bar in my current locale but it is SW Florida..

H

Cyburbian
amylea said:
I wish I could come up with a great bar in my current locale but it is SW Florida..
Didnt they replace all the bars with bingo halls and bridge clubs over there?;)

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Pinky Master's in Savannah is one of the few things that I actually liked about that place when I lived there. It is a real local bar with cheap and yummy beverages.

Habanero

Cyburbian
A South Florida fovorite, Sharkey's in Coral Springs, not sure if it's still there though.

Miles Ignatius

Cyburbian
A Pint or Two,,,,

In Denver, I'd say the best place was the now defunct Broadway Brewing Company @ Broadway & Walnut, in the rapidly transitioning "Ball Park" neighborhood. In the pre-gentrified days of the mid 90's to about 00', it had a great mix of working class types, down n' outers, artists and numerous interesting folk patronizing the place. Great beer and food, too.

Now, it's the Cyburbia approved "Falling Rock Tap House" on Blake Street......

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
The best damn bar in North America. Kentucky Club in Cuidad Juarez, Mexico. Sadly, the price of a beer recently went up for the first time in about 15 years, from $1.50 to $2.25 a bottle.

1juarez_22-med.jpg

1juarez_23-med.jpg

1juarez_24-med.jpg

It's a wonderful oasis from a street like this.

1juarez_17-med.jpg

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Lately it seems that we have had quite a few new residents move to Cyburbia. As part of a progressive "welcome wagon" we should make sure that those new residents know of the interesting topics that surface on these pages.

What could be more interesting than "best bars"?

Cyburbians choices for best bars usually involve older buildings, a lot of ornate woodwork in the bar, most often in a downtown area or along a college town main street. From what I can see, about half the regular population of Cyburbia are regular drinkers.....easily recognized by the number of times that they throw on the :b: :b: label.

Of that dynamic population group, some just imbibe of their favorite beverage at home, such as "on the front porch". Quite a few like wine. A large number of the drinkers express a preference for non-traditional beers, often found in mini-breweries.

Cyburbia even has its' own brew house, in Green Bay. :)

So, as official self-appointed chugmug of the Cyburbia Drinkers Clubbe, this Bear proudly welcomes all you newbies (since June of 2003....put the glass down and read the date at the top of this thread) to Cyburbia.

Please have a drink :b: :b: :b: on the house, put some of your favorite tunes in the Cyburbia Jukebox :8: :8: , and tell us about YOUR favorite bar.

Bear Workin' The Tap, Dirty Apron & All

My favorite one is Molly Branagins, an Irish Pub in Erie, they have reciently opened pubs in Harrisburg and Pittsburgh. They will be opening one in Philadelphia soon also

Boru

Cyburbian
I was born to post this

Excellent. The only problem is how to whittle it down from the 1000's of pubs around the world that I have been in. Most of those 1000's have been in Ireland though.

I like pubs to be music and television free zones. I adore older victorian pubs.

Here goes.
The Long Hall. Dublin. Victorian pub.
Kehoes. Dublin. Vicorian pub.
The Cobblestone. Dublin. Dirty ould pub, but a fantastic traditional music session every night.
The Gravediggers. Victorian pub. right beside the largest graveyard in Dublin. Has a hatch in the wall between the pub and the graveyard. The gravediggers used to get served pints through the hatch.
Mulligans. Dublin. one of the best pints of Guinness anywhere.
Roisin Dubh. Galway. Great live bands every night.
Every pub in the village of Lostwithiel, Cornwall, UK.
The Uhrige, Dusselldorf, Germany. Brew their own medium beer.

Finally, the Local. The Sheds (Connollys). Run by the same family for at least 3 generations, all of whom you can see behind the bar on given nights. Fine pints. good price, and good for a singalong.

http://www.thedubliner.ie/template.php?ID=77&PageName=bestbars

There are many, many more. But I just dont think Cyburbia has the bandwidth;-)

For those of you who dont get the whole "I like to sit in pubs" vibe, for me a good pub has many things going for it.
Although you invariably end up arriving with your friends, its very east to get into an amiable chat or heated argument (i dont mean fisticuffs) with a stranger. That to me is the spice of life. its all about banter.

It also helps that bars are licensed to sell intoxicating boozes. The problem it would seem to me is the gigantic places, where there are feck all seats, and REALLY loud music, therefore forcing you to drink faster. Drinking is fine. Getting pissed is fine. Doing it crammed into a place where you sweat/struggle to get served/heard/find a place to urinate/get ripped off, is a pain in the hole. It is a combination of these elements which added to alcohol get people hot-headed and rumbunctious. Leading to scraps outside at closing time.

The One

Cyburbian
Georgetown....

I liked all of the bars located in Washington DC- Georgetown:b: :b: :b: :-b The one's that brew their own beer are the best!!

Another great beer joint is in Fort Bragg California.....local brewery that was great.....so many years ago, drop by the Northcoast Brewing Company:p

http://www.northcoastbrewing.com/

Red Seal Ale- THIS IS GREAT BEER!!!! :p

Margin Walker

Cyburbian
Vermont Pub and Brewery in Burlington, VT. What could be better than a 1/2 yard of a good microbrew and some great pub grub? They used to do an awesome combo of their Dog Bite Ale with Hard Cider called a Snakebite. mmmmmm. :b: :b: :b:

Gordon Biersch (sp?) on the Harbor in Honolulu. Another great place to drink beer and eat some good food. This place has the advantage of a great year round outdoor setting.

Haven't been to either place in years :(

cololi

Cyburbian
Isecond some of the places mentione already, My brothers Place in Denver, Wynkoop, Golden Birsch in Honolulu

Some more:
Molly Greens at Brighton Ski Resort
The Mangy Moose at jackson Hole (I'd put the Million Dollar Cowboy bar on the list, but it is more of tourist bar now)
Peruvian at Alta
Green Door in San Fran
Ghost Bar in Vegas
the A Bar in Denver

prana

Cyburbian
In no particular order and I'm not even going to mention most of the great brewpubs that are across the country!!

Falling Rock Tap House...Denver, CO
Mountain Sun Brewpub...Boulder, CO
Bell's Brewery and Eccentric Cafe...Kalamazoo, MI
Tornado Pub...San Francisco, CA
The Publick House (formerly Anam Cara)...Boston, MA
Brickstore Pub...Athens, GA
Moan and Dove...Amherst, MA
Horse Brass Pub....Portland, OR

edit:
almost forgot Brouwer's Cafe...Seattle, WA

Last edited:

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
Peddler's Pub in Halifax and Richard's on Richards in Vancouver.

Whoah, I just went across the country with that one.