• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, the built environment, planning adjacent topics, and anything else that comes to mind. No ads, no spam, and it's free. It's easy to join!

Best Bars

ssnyderjr

Cyburbian
Bear

How did you forget the Roundhouse Bar at your favorite Lake Erie Island?
That gets my vote, always a live band playin, and beer available by the bucket!!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
McSorley's on Fifth Street between 6th and 7th aves. in Manhattan. Oldest continually run pub in the US of A. You must order in even numbers or you won't be served. Light or Dark. Only. Sawdust on the floors along with tons of peanut husks. JFK's grandfather nailed his boots above the door to the kitchen -- they remain there yet. Until the damned women's lib movement, (;) kidding:-D) it was a man's place. Now the restroom is shared.

Boru: Gravediggers is a fantastic pub name! They should have a signature drink!

Jaxspra

Cyburbian
Broadway Oyster Bar in Soulard (St. Louis, MO) ...great spot before and after Card games...outside area, always a band playing, great selection of beer, great cajun food, warm fire place, small and cozy in the winter...favorite bar in town!!!

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
ssnyderjr said:
How did you forget the Roundhouse Bar at your favorite Lake Erie Island?
That gets my vote, always a live band playin, and beer available by the bucket!!

I should be shot for forgeting The Roundhouse. I was just there a couple weeks ago. It was full-tilt wall-to-wall shoulder-to-shoulder sweaty-body-to-sweaty body jam packed.

Oh, there was also some olde guy with a duck plunger named "George". :-c

I have a Roundhouse bucket hanging in my garage. I'm so cool. :cool:

Bucketheadbear

Boru

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
McSorley's on Fifth Street between 6th and 7th aves. in Manhattan. Oldest continually run pub in the US of A. You must order in even numbers or you won't be served. Light or Dark. Only. Sawdust on the floors along with tons of peanut husks. JFK's grandfather nailed his boots above the door to the kitchen -- they remain there yet. Until the damned women's lib movement, (;) kidding:-D) it was a man's place. Now the restroom is shared.

Boru: Gravediggers is a fantastic pub name! They should have a signature drink!

What like "The Coffindodger's Prayer". I wonder if they were ever paid in grave robbers loot? I must say I like the sound of McSorleys, it sounds like it might once have been full of dodgy brown envelope type movers and shakers. Probably still is.

As a matter of interest, I have a friend who lives in NYC, she is from Buffalo originally and her family own and run a bar there called Brennan's Bowery Bar. I know there are a few people here from/lived in that area. If anyone has any stories I would'nt mind hearing them. It'll make her laugh when I tell her them.

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
When you draw a fake city, for as long as this Bear has, you start to run out of names for the places you are drawing. I ran out of names for taverns a long time ago.

This is a "thank you" to all who have contributed so many great names of real taverns, etc. I will proceed to steal many of the neat ones and add to my creation.

Thanx again.

Bear

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Popping The Top On An Old Thread

Popping the top on an old thread.....here's the reason "why".....

Katie and I were talking about the bars that we have been regulars at in our 15-plus years together. Except for a couple, there is a trend.....

The Turtle Club - Toledo
(I met two wives at this joint. :-c) Katie and I met here and "The Turtle" closed about a year after we met. Parking problems in the adjoining neighborhood led to the closing of this waterfront bar.

Dale's Bar - Maumee (Inner-ring suburb of Toledo)
This Bear was a regular for about 30 years, at least twice a week, on basketball nights. Our sweaty bodies lined the bar stools. (Not a pleasant image, eh? :-$) We have only been to Dale's a few times in the last couple years, as we gravitated to other places.

The Infield - Delta (About 30 miles from Toledo, near Swanton)
Bankrupt because owners went through a divorce. Watched some Ohio State versus Michigan football games at this bar.

Sully's - Delta
Across the street from The Infield. When The Infield close we started to go to Sully's. The building collapsed. True story....old building. Glad we were not bellied-up to the bar when it caved. :-c

The Towpath - Grand Rapids (GR, Ohio, on the Maumee River)
We were regulars but the biz closed for lack of biz. Best cheeseburgers ever!
_____

Se.....we entertain ourselves with Hub's and Loma Linda's. :-D

Drink up!

Bear

ofos

Vintage Cyburbian
Haven't done the bar scene in years but when I was a serious student (make that a mass consumer of beer), most of my time in Ann Arbor was spent three places:

1. Fraser's Pub
2. Stadium Tavern
3. Old Town Bar

The first two were primarily blue collar/sports bars. The Old Town was a downtown bar that gradually went from being a local dive to a more upscale establishment but that was after I left A2. There might be a connection there.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tumulty's in New Brunswick, NJ
Alchemist & Barrister in Princeton, NJ
Cornelius Pass Road House, Hillsboro, OR

illinoisplanner

Cyburbian
In the good ol' DeKalb, IL, all on Lincoln Hwy:
Fatty's Pub & Grill
Pizza Pros
Otto's (usually has good live music too)
The Annex/Lord Stanley's

And in Sycamore, IL, there's...
PJ's Courthouse Tavern

And for the generic, my favorite is Buffalo Wild Wings, which also has a location back home.

And there's always my townhome at school, which is just 1 minute from the liquor store.