• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Best Bluegrass Ever !!!!

As much as I hate to say it, I'm getting a little burned out on O Brother/Sister Where Art Thou and Allison Krauss and am still Jonesing for some good blue grass. So they really are good?

biscuit

Cyburbian
Yeeeeeeeeha!

I've been a Hay-Seed Divie fan for a few years now and would jump at the chance to see them live. Even those of you who aren't bluegrass fans should chek 'em out - even they're originals are pretty good.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Old and in the Way

Has anyone every heard "Old and in the Way" by Pete Rowan? IMO, one of the best bluegrass albums ever. Jerry Garcia plays the banjo on it.

martini

Cyburbian
LOVE bluegrass, but I don't know anything about bands or albums to get. Every tune I've heard has been great. I even go so far as to think that there are songs out there that would be great bluegreass covers(Iron Madien, Run to the Hills?). I'll have to get to a computer with speakers so I can listen to these links. Do any of you have a good list to start with(for cds to buy)?

donk

Cyburbian
I'd also suggest the smithsonian anthology of american folk music (6 CD's), not blue grass per se, but really good historic songs. My favourite from this collection is "John the Revalator".

H

Cyburbian
Also check out the Gourds. They have a great bluegrass version of Gin n Juice.

Ps. Hayseed Dixie does more that just ACDC on the newest album, you should check that one out also.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
I like Bela Fleck. I'm not sure if he's pure bluegrass, but he's one hell of a banjo player. He takes some traditional classical and folk compositions and plays them with the banjo. It sounds really nice.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Bela Fleck

Greenescapist said:
I like Bela Fleck. I'm not sure if he's pure bluegrass, but he's one hell of a banjo player. He takes some traditional classical and folk compositions and plays them with the banjo. It sounds really nice.
I saw Bela a couple of years ago. He's such a good banjo player that his appeal is limited (IMO). Kind of like Les Claypool. I wouldn't suggest Bela Fleck for someone who's looking for bluegrass.