• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, built environment shapers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Best books for planners?

SoutheastMCRP

Cyburbian
I'm a new MCRP student looking for extra reading. What do you recommend as the best books for planners? I'm open to any and all suggestions including history, private development, etc. Just please, nothing that will put me to sleep :)

DVD

Cyburbian
I just ordered Between the Dog and the Fireplug. Not so much planning, but it should explain general politics of public service.

I read Zucker's book on the ABZs of Planning Management. Good information, keeps it somewhat light. It gets more into running a department than the design stuff. Also remember it was written by a consultant so it does have a little slant toward reducing regulation and red tape. Sometimes there's a reason behind the red tape.

I hear the High Cost of Free Parking is good, but I haven't read it myself.

glutton

Cyburbian
Next on my list is Geography of Nowhere, Happy City, and Triumph of the City. The World is Flat is also good.

ScottS481

Now that you've started school, I'm curious how much time you've found for that extra reading. In our first semester history and theory class, we didn't have time to finish all of the assigned readings, much less anything extra. Good luck in your program.

The One

Cyburbian
Yup

Now that you've started school, I'm curious how much time you've found for that extra reading. In our first semester history and theory class, we didn't have time to finish all of the assigned readings, much less anything extra. Good luck in your program.
In my Theory class (1993) we were each greeted by a full size box, packed to the top with journal articles dating back to the 1960's. 2,000 pages or so!! This was before scanning was widely available. If you were to obtain publisher permissions for all those articles in print at today's bloated academic costs.....I bet it would cost many $1,000's :-c

Ringo

Cyburbian
I seccond Geography of Nowhere, Kunstler is a cool dude.
Also, Shadow Cities and The Ecology of Fear
im reading Triumph of the City now, Just finished A country of cities, very radical book good points but hard core urbanist

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Boston Mayor Wants to Inspire Citizen Planners With New Book List

Evicted by Matthew Desmond
The Death and Life of Great American Cities by Jane Jacobs
Chain of Change: Struggles for Black Community Development by Mel King
The Given Day by Dennis Lehane
Common Ground by J. Anthony Lukas
All Souls by Michael Patrick MacDonald
The Power Broker by Robert Caro
Karma and Other Stories by Rishi Reddi
The Resilience Dividend: Being Strong in a World Where Things Go Wrong by Judith Rodin
Villa Victoria: The Transformation of Social Capital in a Boston Barrio by Mario Luis Small
Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time by Jeff Speck
The Price of Inequality: How Today’s Divided Society Endangers Our Future by Joseph E. Stiglitz

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/boston-mayor-releases-urban-reading-list-for-city-plan

Doohickie

Cyburbian
The opening passages of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy has some good information about the effectiveness of public meetings on raising stakeholder awareness.