• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Best. Chicken. Evar.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What is the best chicken you can recall eating?

Me - when I was a kid the firehouse across from the plant where my dad worked had an annual fundraiser where they sold bbq chicken that the firefighters grilled themselves using these big converted 55 gal drum type grills. It was lordly good, and my brother and I looked forward to it every year. Dad would bring home a grocery bag filled to the brim with a large number of pieces that were wrapped up individually in butcher paper. This happened during Memorial Day weekend, but we would usually start pestering dad sometime in March!

Chicken covers a whole lot of territory, so feel free to break it down by style if that suits you.

1582649639157.png

kms

Cyburbian
A place in my town served stuffed chicken breast on weekends. I’d wait all week to go there. Nothing fancy. Chicken and bread stuffing, but oh my did I love it.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Portland area had a local chain called Fryer Tuck's when I was little. The chicken was delicious and they sold fried gizzards and giblets as well. They were also known for Lil John Spuds, basically giant potato wedges breaded and fried like the chicken.

There is a place that calls themselves Fryer Tuck's but it is not the same.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Chicken thighs. I'll be cooking them this week on the smoker. Boneless though, bone in thighs just kinda suck to me.

Oh and Chicken Rico in Baltimore. THE BOMB.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
Definitely chicken BBQ from a local fire department fundraiser. Also Memorial Day weekend, often coinciding with one of the first really nice weather days of spring. I can taste it now.

DVD

Cyburbian
Original Stoud's in KC. Best fried chicken evar! I think it's using the cast iron skillet that has been cured since 1933. That's bonus flavor right there.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
When I worked at the School of Infantry one of the instructors liked to BBQ and had one of those drums turned into a grill or smoker or whatever and would make his own sauce and every weekend that he wasn't in the field, we'd buy him the chicken (or ribs) and he set out grilling it up outside our barracks before lunch on Saturdays and Sundays and we'd all sit there all day drinking and eating with various Marines stopping by.

It was a pretty small base with only about 150 permanent personnel assigned there and everybody knew everybody else so it was a constant party. The BBQ was still some of the best I've ever had but a lot of that may have been attributed to the memories.

These days, my wife and oldest always look forward to one particular vendor that's at the agricultural fair in the next county over that serves up broasted chicken. I like to pretend I don't enjoy it too but secretly I love it.

For a few months a couple of years ago, our Episcopal church rented out their kitchen to a Laotian woman who was running a take out restaurant out of the church for lunch and early dinner. She had some of the best chicken satay I've ever had. Sadly, she got too popular and outgrew the church kitchen and now only sells her stuff at local farmers markets (still fantastic, just not as conveniently located).

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Original Stoud's in KC. Best fried chicken evar! I think it's using the cast iron skillet that has been cured since 1933. That's bonus flavor right there.
Where they "Choke their own chickens." Some guys in high school (80s) wore Stroud's t-shirts with this on the back.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Best fried chicken, you ask? Hmmm, that's a toughie. My go-to response might be the fried chicken at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth, but on further reflection I believe the BEST I ever had was purchased in the mid 80's at a roadside stand outside a gas station near Kinston, NC. I can't find it on google earth and it probably isn't there anymore, but it was somewhere in this general area.

Planit

Cyburbian
Best fried chicken, you ask? Hmmm, that's a toughie. My go-to response might be the fried chicken at the Bavarian Inn in Frankenmuth, but on further reflection I believe the BEST I ever had was purchased in the mid 80's at a roadside stand outside a gas station near Kinston, NC. I can't find it on google earth and it probably isn't there anymore, but it was somewhere in this general area.

I kinda know the area as its our standard route to our friends on the coast. I have not seen a roadside chicken stand, but I'll keep a look out and ask some people who might know as well.

Our local Lions Club does a smoke chicken plate twice a year. Half chicken and it great!

TOFB

Cyburbian
As a near-vegetarian, I never eat fried chicken anymore. But I must admit Banquet fried chicken tv dinners bring back some good memories.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
As a near-vegetarian, I never eat fried chicken anymore. But I must admit Banquet fried chicken tv dinners bring back some good memories.
Well, that would certainly explain why you don't eat fried chicken anymore :D

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
I prefer baked chicken over fried. Fried normally leaves me with a heavy, I-justed-licked-the-inside-of-the-fryer feeling. Depending who does it, baked bar-be-que chicken is great.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
Our local Lions Club does a smoke chicken plate twice a year. Half chicken and it great!
Port-A-Pit chicken is the best. Those guys are out of Statesville, NC and travel around cooking for fundraisers all over the place.

I am sure it's just nostalgia; but the best fried chicken that I ever ate was my grandmothers. It was fried in fresh rendered lard with the crispiest, flakiest breading that I have ever eaten. I have tried to replicate the recipe but sadly it was never really documented as grandmother was a dump cooker. No measurements, everything was eyeballed and tasted. The chicken was typically a hen that stopped laying eggs earlier that week, it was processed Saturday morning before she went to the beauty shop, marinated in buttermilk and spices. After church on Sunday, it was breaded and bathed in hot lard in black cast iron skillet until it was golden brown. I knew to hang out and help in the kitchen because she also fried up the wings and excess chicken skin for the help. It was good stuff.

The closest thing to that chicken is Price's Chicken Coop in Charlotte. Which is why I drive down that way a couple times a year. Nostalgia makes everything taste so much better.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
I've been making a pretty good baked chicken where I put EVOO and yummy spices on either side of the skin and it tastes wonderful. But I firmly believe that Publix grocery store actually pipes the smell of fried chicken out into the parking lot to bring customers in. It's been a few years since I've been able to eat it because of allergies but I swear -- it smells so good, I could be tempted to eat it with an epi pen in hand.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I firmly believe that Publix grocery store actually pipes the smell of fried chicken out into the parking lot to bring customers in.…..
There is a fried chicken joint across the street from work that I swear does the same thing. Every time I eat there (once a decade or so) I end up regretting the great big greasy glob that settles in your stomach for the rest of the day, but it SMELLS soooo good.

DVD

Cyburbian
To throw everyone off a little, there used to be a place around the corner from my house that made a killer tandoori chicken.