• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Best days of the week to take off

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Sure, there are situational considerations, such as the day of the week board meetings fall on and whatnot, but in general if you were to take TWO week days off during a given week, what two would you choose and why? Monday Friday? Tuesday Thursday? Monday Thursday? Tuesday Friday?.....you get the idea

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I think there are two trains of thought on this:

Longer weekends, plural... so Monday, Friday. Or Longer weekend, singular, so Monday, Tuesday.

I mean I guess you could argue Wednesday Thursday, so it is like three weekends, but that just seems silly to make Friday a one day week.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I think there are two trains of thought on this:

Longer weekends, plural... so Monday, Friday. Or Longer weekend, singular, so Monday, Tuesday.

I mean I guess you could argue Wednesday Thursday, so it is like three weekends, but that just seems silly to make Friday a one day week.
You know, just having Wednesdays off is kinda cool because it's like having two 'mini-weeks'. Compound that with, say taking Tuesday and Weds off and you find that no matter how Mondayish Monday is, it's heavily buffered by the knowledge you'll have a 'weekend' before you.

Lowland

Cyburbian
I'd say Thursday-Friday off is a solid option, for a 3-day workweek and substantially long weekend. But Friday-Monday off gives you two 4-day weeks and a similarly long weekend.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
What about a 'train track week'? You know, where you work every other day and take off Tuesday and Thursday. If you're not going anywhere special, this might actually represent the most opportunities to 'catch your breath' a week can possibly offer.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Thursdays and Fridays would be my request.

Although, a 30 hour work week (6 hour day) wouldn't get kicked out of bed either.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
friday of 1 week and them monday the following week so you have a 4 day weekend.

and then you only have worked two 4 day weeks.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
What about a 'train track week'? You know, where you work every other day and take off Tuesday and Thursday. If you're not going anywhere special, this might actually represent the most opportunities to 'catch your breath' a week can possibly offer.

I was going to suggest Tuesday and Thursday for this very reason. It makes those days that you're in the office seem to be a lot more enjoyable. In normal times, if I take a random day off to do work around the house or take care of errands, I almost always take Wednesday off so that I have the two mini-weeks bookending my day off. But if I were to take two days off, Tuesday and Thursday seem good.

If I were to take the days to turn it into a 4-day weekend, my wife always comes up with 84 thousands places we should go or things we should do and my 4-day weekend becomes anything but time off so unless it's around a holiday, I try to avoid that.

FWIW, currently I only go into my office once every two weeks but when they make us start coming in a bit more frequently, I'm already planning to only go in on two or three non-consecutive days each week.

TOFB

Cyburbian
I have been taking off every Friday afternoon to take care of my Mom for months. While watching her slow decline is hard, a 4 1/2 day work week is wonderful.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
I generally take every other Monday off in the summer so I can enjoy the uncrowded beach since the Bennies and Shoobies go home on Sunday.

This year I have been tacking on a day to all the holidays we are off to use up my days since the 'rona has basically eliminated our typical travel. I am taking a couple of days off after Election Day and booked a farm cottage in Cape May.

DVD

Cyburbian
Bennies and Shoobies. You're so hip. We just have snowbirds.

I take every other Friday off. It's kind of nice to have a long weekend. I have no objections to taking a Wednesday off for a random break in the week.

dw914er

Cyburbian
Since we have more meetings scheduled during the earlier part of the week, I feel like if I took off one of those days, I'd have more to catch up on when I do get back. Starting the weekend early is always nice as well.

dandy_warhol

Cyburbian
Any two days in a row. Otherwise you can't really relax. My schedule is wonky so I am always happy when I have 2+ days off in a row. That way you can get stuff done one day and relax the other.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I am a fan of days that end in Y...

In reality I would choose Thursday and Friday. I have a ton of Monday and Wednesday meetings.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
Most of the Holidays are either Friday (Good Friday, Day After Thanksgiving) or Monday (Presidents Day, MLK, Memorial Day, etc). If I had to choose I would pick Monday off. As I already stated in another thread, I dread Sundays, but having Monday off just makes it a little more bearable. As for Easter, I would prefer to have the Monday after Easter off instead of Good Friday. Nothing worse than having to good back to work on the day after Easter.

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any two days in a row. Otherwise you can't really relax. My schedule is wonky so I am always happy when I have 2+ days off in a row. That way you can get stuff done one day and relax the other.

My husband has a schedule like that too. He's off Wednesdays and Sundays (his business is closed). He rarely gets off a full weekend.

Bubba

Cyburbian
Sure, there are situational considerations, such as the day of the week board meetings fall on and whatnot, but in general if you were to take TWO week days off during a given week, what two would you choose and why? Monday Friday? Tuesday Thursday? Monday Thursday? Tuesday Friday?.....you get the idea

All of them. When can I retire?