• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Hardware Best laptop for urban planning student/career

fclamorjr

My Macbook recently broke and I deciding on what laptop to get next. Since Macbook isn't really compatible with most Urban Planning software I am probably going to buy a PC. My first option was probably a Surface Book or a Surface Pro 4. Does anyone have any recommendation?

hipp5

Cyburbian
If you think you'll be doing some heavy GIS analysis then go for something with a solid CPU. If you think you'll be doing heavy graphical work (Adobe) then you'll want as much RAM as you can afford. A solid state hard drive is a nice thing to have.

BrianVDB

Cyburbian
I was just at the APA Conference in Phoenix and took a GIS class with ESRI. They were running Dell Precision M4800s, for what it's worth.

But - wouldn't your school or future employer have a computer for you? Are you sure it's worth the investment on your own?

rickster

Cyburbian
There is no "best" laptop. You are limited by price, size, battery life, warranty/quality etc... The best laptop may be a 12 pound desktop replacement, do you really want to spend $4,000 on that?

Figure out your budget. Figure out how big a laptop do you want. It sounds like you want one that has a touch screen. Then try to figure out which one offers the best specifications at your price point.

One of the best places for laptop guidance is a forum called notebookreview. They have people that follow technology trends, and sometimes will point out rebates/sales.