• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Best Office Environment You've Worked In

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
The worst possible environment thread got me thinking. What is the best office environment you've worked in? Mine was my first PD gig in BFE Kentucky. Very laid back place with friendly people. They helped out a person who, at best, was a fish out of water.

WSU MUP Student

Cyburbian
I once had an awesome long-term contract gig at a community development foundation in Detroit. The pay was pretty good, the people were absolutely fantastic, the office was in a beautiful facility right on the river and across the street from a brewery, and because they literally had billions of $$$$ and couldn't spend it on programs/initiatives fast enough they spent loads on fringe things like awesome catered meals, retreats, bonuses, redecorating our offices with awesome furniture, etc.

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
The one I'm in now. Great staff, and we've invested heavily in the last year in making sure that we are organized, cross-trained, and effective such that we have really tamped down how much time the "drudgery" of local planning takes. The office is pretty quiet most days, and there are significant blocks of time to work on bigger long-range projects. All PTO requests have been granted (and encouraged!) for the last year. Everybody covers for everybody else so time off can happen. Professional development opportunities have increased. Office culture is professional without being stuffy. The electeds and appointed we serve have a lot of confidence in us, and high expectations that we are meeting. Planning here is blessedly apolitical. I couldn't be happier.

-Everybody has an office with a door and a window.
-Location is central but still kind of quaint and quiet.
-meeting space is pleasant and available

terraplnr

Cyburbian
My previous job, with a private firm. About halfway through my tenure with them we moved into new offices, so I had my own office with a gorgeous view of the mountains. :love:

The office culture was laid back and I could wear jeans/t-shirts every day unless there was a client meeting.

The office manager and my supervisor were both of the mindset that "as long as your work gets done and your clients are happy" then the work day or week could be flexible if needed. That was really helpful, so I could take off for kids' appointments without having to always use sick or vacation time.

We got free coffee and tea and had regular "office happy hours." Plus a Peet's coffee was right across the street.

I also enjoyed traveling for the job, for the most part. I got to visit military installations and other places I'd never see otherwise.

When my kids are older I think I'd like to work somewhere like that again.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Best office environment was during college when my office was a tavern. I was a short order cook and graduated to waiter. In both positions the consumption of beer during working hours was encouraged. Unfortunately someone who came after me abused the privilege and shortly after I got my engineering degree and moved on, the privilege was revoked.

It was fun while it lasted.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
Before planning, I worked for a company that encouraged creativity, had loads of travel opportunities (I lived in Sweden for part of my time there), and was a really fun environment. They believed in 'work hard/ play hard' and expected a lot when you were at work but also started employees with a month vacation per year and were super flexible with scheduling as long as you got your work done. They also loved training so I was constantly learning which was awesome.

The company changed a lot which was why I eventually left but I often miss my time there. Being in my early 20s and single then - it really was the life!

terraplnr

Cyburbian
Best office environment was during college when my office was a tavern. I was a short order cook and graduated to waiter. In both positions the consumption of beer during working hours was encouraged. Unfortunately someone who came after me abused the privilege and shortly after I got my engineering degree and moved on, the privilege was revoked.

It was fun while it lasted.
I went to a restaurant / cocktail bar recently, and on the menu they had "send beer to the kitchen staff" for $6. I'd never seen that on a menu before, sounds like a fun place to work. :woozy:

MD Planner

Cyburbian
When I worked in the energy business for a time at the main office in Idaho every Friday we had "beer thirty". An announcement was made at 4 o'clock where the beer and snacks would be that day. It moved around the idea was that you'd have a beer or two and visit with folks in other departments. It was/is a great company. Their ideology was "do good work, have fun, make money". That worked for me!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
I went to a restaurant / cocktail bar recently, and on the menu they had "send beer to the kitchen staff" for $6. I'd never seen that on a menu before, sounds like a fun place to work. :woozy:
No sure this is the same in all states now, but I know in Texas a server/kitchen worker can't drink on the job. So even if that was a thing, the person would probably need to wait until end of shift.

TOFB

Cyburbian
Two jobs ago. CH was in the heart of downtown, third floor corner office, great culture, and across the street from a bar with the best burger in town.